Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which documents do I need copies of?

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Default Which documents do I need copies of?

Hey guys, you know we're heading out on VV's so I was wondering which documents do you advise I take lots of copies of with me and also do they need to be certified copies or are photocopied copies OK?

Hopefully, we'll be applying for PR from there and I know a lot of documents can be requested via email but I thought would be a good idea to take plenty of copies with us so that we can just hand them in if necessary.

I would imagine that birth certificates have to be certified copies from the Registry office don't they, do you think I'll need as many for the kids as for us? What about divorce papers - photocopies?

I'll put a list here and then if you know you can let me know - ta!! :)

Birth certificate, divorce papers, driving license, deed poll name change, previous address details (bills or what?), tax reference, bank statements?, police checks, consent letter from previous partner to take children, CV's and references. Can anyone think of anything else?
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

missvee is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Which documents do I need copies of?

Hi Dawn,
    I will give you advice from my personal experience. Birth certificates have to be full ones. Certified copies of any official documents are best, get a few copies of each. If you go to the Registrars Off ice for certificates they will probably cost you about ?7 for each.
    The cheapest way is to go down to the local magistrates court with your copies and originals and get them all done at once, think it cost me ?8 for about 10 copies. It can be a little confusing for the clerks and majistrates, it was for mine but they will do it. You go in front of them not in an office, be ready!!
    As for the consent you must get a Statutory Declaration not just consent, this must be signed in front of a solicitor and it is the childrens father who signs. He needs to bring passport or driving licence. Get a solicitor who knows what they are doing and they have actually done it before. Mine cocked things up and asked for the money, cheeky so and so. Don't forget marriage certificates and divorce papers. any paperwork regarding changes of name. Hope this helps.
    Vee

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

You will need certified copies of most of those on your list. When putting in your application they will want originals or certified copies - things like previous address details you can give them the original and keep the copy.

What are also useful to have about are photocopies of your passports - certified and just copies.

:)
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

So where do I get certified copies from? Can I just take them down to the magistrates court and get them done there like Vee suggested? I logged on to check how much a birth ceritficate copy would cost yesterday - ?30!! and I need several for all 5 of us? That's more than a ?1000 not including all the other documents I need copies of. Do they need to see the marriage certificate for the relationship I am now divorced from or just the divorce papers? I changed my ex-married name back to my maiden name by deed poll - the solicitor never gave me the original document just certified copies, I guess so that if I wanted more certified copies I'd have to go back and get them from her at an arm and a leg price. >:(
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

Hi Dawn. You don't say wether it is the Registrar that is charging you or the courts for the certified copies.
    You need FULL birth and marriage certificates. 1 for each person. Then get lots of photocopies made of them.
    I went to the magistrates court with copies of birth, marriage and passports and other official documents. You need evidence of your changes of name. Bring along your originals. The magistrate in my case stamped and signed all the copies, there was no limit and it cost me ?8.
    What I would suggest because I am cheeky is ringing the registrar. Tell them your predicament, that you need a full one for each member and its for emmigration purposes. Ask if they can give you a reduced cost for the amount you need. You never know. I know official places can be sticklers but its worth a try.
    I would also ring your magistrates court and speak to one of the Clerks. Ask when would be the best time to come down and how much it would be to have certified copies done.
    The only reason I say this is because not many people in the court, knew the magistrates did this, it had to be before 10am, before court started. It was a lot of messing about but I was pleased because I got a lot done for ?8. This is how it works where I live, could be different near you but magistrates can do this. Lot cheaper than if the solicitor does it.
    When you get your statutory declaration get copies done and ask your children's dad and the solicitor to sign them as well as the original. By the way, my solicitor had a copy of my child's dad's passport attatched to the consent, they signed and stamped that too as further evidence.
    Hope this helps, Vee.

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Have things tightened up since I came over here? ?To get certified copies of our documents - I photocopied them, took them and the originals to my solicitor, a girl behind the desk checked the copy was that of the original, stamped and initialled the copy, charged five pounds for the inconvenience. ?

Obviously it seems you have to pay extra if you want originals or special copies of birth certificates, marriage licence etc. from the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages. ? Useful to have these if you don't have them, but a photocopy certified by your solicitor's office (as explained above) should suffice for your application ... well it did for us. ?

:)
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

I think it varies from own to town regarding Registrars, my birth certificates were ?7 each. It also varies with solicitors, probably ringing round and asking how much they would charge.
    Vee

How you getting on with the paperwork Dawn?
    Vee

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

We just got a pamphlet from NZIS that has a list of essential documents to bring. Some of the following has been written above, but I'll include it all so nothing gets forgotten:

"All documents must be originals or certified true copies. An official translation is required if the original document is not in English"

Passports with valid visas
    Birth certificates
    Marriage certificate and family records
    International and/or local Driving Licence
    Other identity documents
    Proof of education such as diplomas and certificates
    Academic transcripts
    NZQA Assessment Reports
    Proof of continuing education, internship or training
    Proof of employment and work experience
    Reference letters from previous and current employers
    Curriculum Vitae or resume
    Professional or trade licences
    Credit references from your landlord and telephone/gas/electricity suppliers
    Insurance and valuation documents
    List of all personal belongings for customs and insurance purposes
    Medical, immunisation, vaccination and dental records
    Contact details of relatives and friends in New Zealand
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Hi Dawn

You can also get copies of your certificates (Marriage/Birth etc) in New Zealand by getting photocopies and getting a Justoice of the Peace member to sign them for you.

Usually this is done at the local courthouse and is free!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast