Thread: Inland Revenue

missvee is offline Senior Member

Default Inland Revenue

Has anyone filled in a tax form to see if they can get a rebate. As I am emmigrating I thought I would see if I am due anything back. Just a thought, you never know. if anyone else is moving permanently it's worth a go.
    I have also been in touch with poeple about my pension. I may be able to carry it over to my employer as I am working for the govenrment. Has anyone else carried over an NHS pension?
    Vee

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Default Re: Inland Revenue

Hello,

Defo fill in a tax form, Stu got about 1200 pounds back within a few weeks of us leaving and I got 800 pounds back into my account 7 months after we left which was a bonus. ?I was all worried that we maybe owed them money but it worked out well in the end.

Hi Lil Amy, thanks for the reply. I thought it was worth mentioning as it will help people. After moving, settling in added expenses it would be great to have a little windfall like that.
    Vee

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Yes, I got a rebate too! :)

The trouble with the UK Inland Revenue is that they just won't let go of me. >:(

They send letters to my NZ address telling me what tax credits etc. I am entitled to, then another one saying I must pay these tax credits back, then another one saying I don't have to pay them back yet as I am being reassessed, then another saying I don't need to pay.

Child benefit was a pain as they could not make up their minds whether we were on 'holiday' here until granted residency and thus entitled to it, or whether the intention was to emigrate and the child benefit should stop at the moment we left the country - they eventually gave us benefit for eight weeks after we left the country.

I've been here nearly two years and eventually received a letter a couple of months ago saying that I do not need to fill in any more tax returns (yay!) ... then another arrived a week ago saying that after reassessing the situation I do still need to fill in a return. Blimey ... all I've got in the UK is a bank account with a few pounds in to keep it ticking over. :-/

Is it just me or does everyone have these problems?

Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

Wouldn't worry Glenda, I think it is the IR, they don't like to let us go in case they can sqeeze a few extra pence out of us.
    Vee