Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flights, airports, seats and baggage

missvee is offline Senior Member

Default Flights, airports, seats and baggage

I am being optimistic and looking at flights. I am supposed to start my job on the 16th April but haven't got PR yet. Still waiting to send the remainder of docs in. Right I will stop waffling. I would like to know some details on flights.

1. Who to go with? Air New Zealand is looking good, baggage allowance, (is it true it only applies if you go via the States?) In flight entertainment.

2. Who was the cheapest and how did you book. Internet, travel agent etc.

3. I want to be able to pick my seat, don't want to be stuck with screaming kids for 22 hours, sorry peeps with kids, I am a mum and have been there.

4. I am going to the Bay of Plenty, anyone adviise if I should book the plane all the way to Whakatane, yes I know I will have to change. Should I get off at Auckland, is that the nearest big airport to Whakatane?

5. Anyone flew econonomy and was it comfortable, I am just thinking of flights to Spain and not being able to move for hours. I can't really afford business class, has anyone paid an upgrade how did you do it and was it cheap?

I think that's it for now :)
    Missvee

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Flights, airports, seats and baggage

Yes, you only get the extra baggage allowance on Air NZ flights via the US. Other than that I guess you need to look for airlines with a good deal and if you can book well ahead you should get a better price as prices can tend to go up the nearer you are to departure date. Generally the Asian airlines i.e. Singapore, Malaysian Air, Thai Air all have pretty good reputations as do Emirates.

With all airlines you?ll always find someone who?s had something to complain about, so you just have to hope for the best when your turn comes. Some have rated Air NZ and others haven?t so it?s a matter of what you?re hoping for from a flight and crossing your fingers that you get it. Ticket prices vary from season to season therefore can be difficult to pin down. Check out airports and airlines on this site. Hopefully some folks will be able to fill you in on what they paid.

You should be able to book particular
    seats
    when you book if you are quick enough. Just don?t do it through an Indian lady called Mary, like we did months ago, and she still hasn?t shifted herself to doing it for us, considering we?re flying in about a week?s time. The planes we?re flying on have 3 seats and, as I like a window seat, it means clambering over a sleeping stranger to get to the loo. We hoped to get ourselves one of the few 2 seaters, but looks like we?re out of luck.

If you don?t want to hang around in Auckland when you first arrive, booking the flights straight through to Whakatane might be a good idea, assuming there is an airport at Whakatane. One less thing to have to worry about doing.

I would hope you?d find the long haul planes a tad more roomy than the ones to Spain. Some of them have longer seat pitches so there?s more leg room. We flew with Thai Air last time and it was OK although stopping off in Bangkok for a good few hours helped us a lot as we had a hotel room and could shower, have a nap and we even had time for a wander around the area. Thai Air had the habit of insisting that the shutters were kept down for the entire flight so we were in perpetual nighttime ? the flight of the long night, as I called it. If this was their way of counteracting jet lag by confusing the mind, it certainly worked for us as we didn?t have any problems apart from a bit of general tiredness on the first evening in NZ.

I hope others might fill in the gaps as there?s a lot of information kicking around out there.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

;D Thanks MB, your a mine of information as usual. I have a feeling I am going to be booking at the last minute. My employer wants me there for the 16th of April and I haven't got the last of my docs in to be considered for PR. [smiley=Help.gif].

Will have a look at your tips, hope you got your pc goblins sorted.
    Missvee

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

I believe all AirNZ planes have personal inflight entertainment now; Emirates and Singapore Airlines certainly do. The extra luggage is on AirNZ via LA only. Some planes have extra legroom - check on here http://www.cheapflights.com/travel-tips/legroom.html and you will see AirNZ rates good.

Getting the cheapest flight is difficult as the prices can change daily. At the moment you would have to pay around GBP630-730 for a cheap return economy ticket for 16 April. Booking online means looking at all the airline sites, and bucket shops like travelbag.co.uk and expedia.co.uk to get the best prices. I often have to do this for the husband visits and find the prices can change daily - once after two days of angst I was about to book a ticket through Travelbag when I found the airline itself (Singapore in this case) was doing a special that day GBP100 cheaper! I presume you have decided whether you are getting a return, or are waiting for that PR to get a one-way ticket. One site I am not that impressed about is lastminute.com - it may be that there would be a lastminute bargain but generally they are expensive.

Some airlines you can pick your seat online (can't remember which) but most you pick your seat at check-in. Unfortunately, I do not think you can choose your near neighbours! :)

It is a four hour drive from Auckland to Whakatane, 45mins on a plane. The international and domestic terminals are next to each other at Auckland and you would go through Auckland immigration and customs then to the domestic terminal (allow 2+ hours). I think there is a limit of 20kg of luggage each on domestic flights, so if you are taking double that from going via AirNZ and LA maybe renting a car and driving would be better. I am not absolutely sure here whether they would waive newly immigrants extra luggage - I would think not as the plane to Whakatane would most probably be a small 30 seater, maybe 50 seater. Flights to Whakatane cost between $139 and $209 at the moment - you may have to book these pretty soon as you are arriving nearing the end of the school holidays and flights fill up quickly at this time.

HTH. :)

Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

Thanks Glenda, that is very useful, particularly about baggage. I can't book anything yet as I can't move until immigration give me PR. As soon as I get the last two docs in they need, I will mither them to death, as you know I have submitted my ITA but with the consent and my registration missing. Does it work?

I have a job to go to and it is on the Essential skills register. I hate this waiting period, like I am in limbo. The weather is changing thier too isn't it.
    Missvee

Rho
    Rho is offline Member

Hi, not been on here for a while

We flew Singapore Airlines (economy) last year and they were very good. They have personal inflight entertainment and the service was excellent. Leg room was good, although you could always do with more.

You can check in online with Singapore Airlines 48 hours ahead of the flight and book your seats then - so you don't have to wait until you get to the airport - it worked very well on both legs of the flight.

We asked about increased baggage allowance and were given 30kgs per person as it was a one way ticket, for no extra cost. Just ask when you book - I would recommend phoning them to book as you don't get the allowance if you book online.

We stopped over in Singapore for a couple of nights, as you can book through the airline to stay at hotels at discounted rates.

We will certainly be flying with them again when we go back in June.

With regards to Whakatane I would recommend flying - its a long drive on Kiwi roads after the long flight.
    Rho.

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Thanks Glenda, that is very useful, particularly about baggage. I can't book anything yet as I can't move until immigration give me PR. As soon as I get the last two docs in they need, I will mither them to death, as you know I have submitted my ITA but with the consent and my registration missing. Does it work?

I have a job to go to and it is on the Essential skills register. I hate this waiting period, like I am in limbo. The weather is changing thier too isn't it.
    Missvee
    Not had such an experience myself, but if you have got a real live person to talk to, then they should quickly process your application considering your skills and date to start work. ?However, I would personally prepare myself for a delay of a couple of weeks, just in case.

February really is the hottest month here. ?I expect the weather will still be pleasant enough to give you a light suntan in April. ? 8-) ? ?
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

Thanks Rho that is really good to know, I was wondering about the flying and driving bit. I might stay in Auckland a couple of days and then drive down. Don't know yet. I will have a look at Singapore Airlines though.
    Thanks
    Missvee

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Hello,

We flew to Whakatane when we arrived. You have to change at AKL for immi etc. We had a 7hr wait on our flight just with the way things were with the people picking us up from WHK :(

We were well over the baggage allowance for all flights. From memory two suitcases weighed around 65KG...woops... but the WHK flight let us on no probs as most people flying there have low luggage anyway.

The flight is very informal. Its a 12 seater tiny propellar plane. You get to know your flying partners well. It's a quick painless flight and so much better than a 4hr car journey.

We did the car journey the first time we came to NZ and we were exhausted, got as far as Waihi and had to stop over night as we were falling asleep at the wheel.

We arrived in AKL and went to Domestics and slept for hours on end. The seats there are iron so be warned. We pinched those massaging leather seats that you pay $2 for and slept all day. You can of course head into AKL city and shop a bit if you have a long wait like we did.

Do you have someone picking you up from WHK airport? No joke the terminal is like a portaloo cabin. So you may want to prearrange that as I dont think they had taxi ranks there ;D

i don't know anyone who can pick us up. We are going to live in Whakatane. The only people I have been in touch with is, my boss, the bloke sorting out the accomodation and the headmaster and his secretary. We are literally on our own :'(
    Missvee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast