Thread: Liquids ban on flights

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Liquids ban on flights

Just after we leave.

New security measures for international flights
    NZPA | Wednesday, 14 February 2007

Major new security measures for taking liquids, aerosols and gels in hand luggage on all international flights leaving New Zealand come into force on March 31.

Currently the restrictions apply only to flights to the United States, but will soon apply to all flights, the Ministry of transport said today.

The new requirements are in direct response to the events in London last August when an alleged plot to blow up airliners using explosives disguised as ordinary liquids was foiled.

Transport Safety Minister Harry Duynhoven will officially launch Flysmart, a public awareness programme to inform the travelling public about the changes, at Wellington Airport tomorrow afternoon.

From here .
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Liquids ban on flights

The thing I hate about the liquids limitations is that I can't bring a bottle of water from home (unless it's 100ml or less). Sure, they'll let me buy one inside the secure area, but at what price? I'll find out tomorrow - we're headed out again.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

Blog Entries

Sure, they'll let me buy one inside the secure area, but at what price?
    What a great way to boost profits for the airside shops. ?I'm sure all this is a crafty plan on their behalf so we're all forced to buy from them at inflated prices.

Selchie, hope you have a great trip, wherever you're going. ?
    Mother Bear

Blog Entries

This article helps to explain a bit more about what you can and can't take. Click on the link at the bottom.

Flying with liquids becomes a sticky business
    5:00AM Friday February 16, 2007
    By Derek Cheng ?

Transport Safety Minister Harry Duynhoven believes that helping the public to understand the new security measures will lessen delays. Photo / Mark Mitchell

Passengers on flights leaving the country will be grounded unless they comply with strict new guidelines for taking liquids on board.

From the end of March, overseas airline travellers will not be allowed any liquids, aerosols or gels in their carry-on luggage unless:

* They are in containers of 100ml or less.

* The containers are in a one-litre, re-sealable, transparent plastic bag.

Exemptions apply for personal medications, baby products and dietary supplements, though these may also be checked.

The changes shadow similar moves in Britain and the United States and follow International Civil Aviation Organisation recommendations.

More here .
    Mother Bear

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

We just returned from a flight to Canada, so I have a little info to share. I asked, and found that I could have brought an empty water bottle, and filled it on the other side of security. Fortunately our first flight of the trip had free bottles of water on board, so I kept them for refilling.

The carry-on restrictions really aren't that bad. I usually only take toothpaste and hand lotion into the cabin with me, and leave everything else in my check-in luggage. Even so, I probably could have fitted all my liquids and gels in the 1 litre/quart baggie. They did confiscate my 4 ounce yogurt, though. Boarding happened so quickly that I didn't have a chance to gobble it up!
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

Blog Entries

This isn't so bad on short haul flights, but we would have found it very difficult without having had at least some of our toiletries with us to freshen up during the 3-day trip. Transit hotels often provide a limited range of items but usually not things like shaving foam and deodorant.

Passengers take new liquids rules on board
    5:00AM Monday April 02, 2007
    By Errol Kiong

The first weekend of strict new rules on taking liquids on board international flights has gone without a hitch, airport officials say.

No major delays were reported at Auckland Airport over the weekend, as most passengers had packed their bags in anticipation of the new rules, which came into force on Saturday.

The regulations restrict passengers on international flights from bringing liquids, aerosols and gels on board, unless they are in containers of 100ml or less and packed in a transparent plastic bag.

The changes follow similar restrictions in Britain and the US and comply with International Civil Aviation Organisation recommendations.

Peter Pilley, the Aviation Security Service's northern region manager, said most passengers were aware of the new regulations.

"The public have really taken notice. There's been a lot of pre-planning at airports throughout the country. It's worked very well."

More here .
    Mother Bear