Thread: All or nothing?

ebianca is offline Gingery, Peppery & Spicy
    Blog Entries

Default All or nothing?

Hello.

Just after any advice on shipping stuff.

We definately don't have enough to take to filla 20ft container.
    We have our own 10ft container which we could take with stuff in but don't know if this is possible- any advice greatly appreciated.

Anyone have any suggestions on furniture/electricals? Is it worth taking and having to pay for storage until buying a house or just buy new stuff for a new house.

We don't know weather to just take personel stuff- books, dvds, pictures, few toys for the kids in cartons or to try and get our 10ft container shipped over.

Flights booked for 24th March 2008!
    Landed in Wellington 26th March 2008!!

Job Offer Received 9th July 2008!

Temp Work Permit application submitted 11th July 2008!
    Temp Work Permit approved 4th August 2008!

EOI Submitted 11th July 2008!
    EOI Selected 16th July 2008!
    EOI 'Successful' 1st August 2008!
    ITA Received 8th August 2008!
    ITA Aplication accepted 26th September!

APROVED in Principle 10th June 2009!!!!
    Residency Visa issued 7th July 2009!!!!!

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Default Re: All or nothing?

I suppose that the best thing would be to ask a shiping company. They may be able to fit your 10 foot container into a larger one. Otherwise, I believe they can crate up your belongings and put the crate into a container with other small loads. I recommend comparing the costs of doing either of those or renting a 20 foot container.

From what I saw, books are expensive in NZ - nearly twice the cost of the same in the US (based on face value, with no currency conversion). If you have books you value, or are determined to read someday, you might consider bringing them. I'm not sure about the replacement cost of DVDs. The better toys might be worth keeping, too. After your kids grow out of them, they could be good rummage sale (similar to boot sale) items.

About the question on whether or not to bring furniture and electronics: That depends on a lot of factors, including your attachment to said items, their quality and replacement cost. Your own personal willingness to bother with either shipping them or replacing them is important. Personally, we'll take our furniture because we've gathered some nice solid pieces over the years, and don't want to part with them. There will be some funky pieces which we'll probably sell off or give away.

We've heard about incompatabilities between US and NZ electronics, and might have problems operating our DVD player and stereo. However, we will probably take them over anyway. If they don't work over there, I suppose we can arrange to send them back and have a friend sell or buy them. We're likely to replace our old TV, and hope for a good, decently priced flat screen model when we get there.

We've discussed this subject before, with perhaps more useful info therein. It could be worth a seach.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

ebianca is offline Gingery, Peppery & Spicy
    Blog Entries

Hi

Thanks for that. I think we might look in to a shared container- they will probably struggle with sending our 10ft- stacking on the ship and stuff.
    We aren't particularly attatched to any furniture and none if it is really expensive- we don't hav emuch either really- only live in a small house at the moment so would have to buy more to fit in our new house over there- when we get one.

We just have a lot of books and dvd's and some ornaments and kids toys that we are quite attatched to.

I think our UK electrical stuff will work ok in NZ so will probably take our dvd surround sound system.
    Flights booked for 24th March 2008!
    Landed in Wellington 26th March 2008!!

Job Offer Received 9th July 2008!

Temp Work Permit application submitted 11th July 2008!
    Temp Work Permit approved 4th August 2008!

EOI Submitted 11th July 2008!
    EOI Selected 16th July 2008!
    EOI 'Successful' 1st August 2008!
    ITA Received 8th August 2008!
    ITA Aplication accepted 26th September!

APROVED in Principle 10th June 2009!!!!
    Residency Visa issued 7th July 2009!!!!!

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

It helps if your dvd system is multi-regional. As you probably know, UK is 2 and NZ is 4. We joined a video/dvd rental shop here and found some (not all) dvds would not work on our UK dvd player, so we bought another here for $120.

Our UK video player soon went kaputt after moving here, for some unknown reason, but there have been no problems playing tapes on the cheap NZ video player bought from the Warehouse.

The two portable UK tvs we bought over are used for the video player and the Playstation, not being any use for anything else here.

It is hard to say whether anyone should or should not freight their furniture to NZ, as we all have our own individual attachments to furniture and ability to buy new. Some things you will probably have to buy here, if waiting for your household effects in unfurnished accommodation, things like duvets, towels, kettle, iron, basic cutlery and crockery etc.

:)
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

I know many people who've got to NZ have said 'If you've got it, ship it because stuff can be very expensive to replace there' but, if you haven't got that much to begin with, the cost of shipping might be more than your belongings would cost to replace.

A shared container or even having your things palleted up would be cheaper than a sole-user container. I think a chat with a couple of shippers might be helpful so you can ask their advice and get some form of costing for the different methods available to you. Get a few quotes so you can compare prices and services. There's a list of shippers on the NZ Website List .
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

moose is offline Senior Member

Hi

We bought most of our electricals with us, ie ?tv, dvd video, and we have had no problems, on problem being when you hire dvd you have to check region or sometimes they don't work, but other than that they are fine.

I personally think bedding sheets, quilts etc are quite expensive, but saying that you can pick up some bargins in briscoes and farmers sales. However I would recommend to stock up and bring with you.

my advice to you would be to bring enough stuff with you to set up home here and don't be miss guided into thinking everything is cheap when you arrive, ?yes it does appear that way when you first arrive, don't think pounds think dollars a.s.a.p and then you won't go far wrong. Not saying don't treat yourselves, cos crickey the stress of moving and starting a new life ?you deserve it, ?but what i am saying is don't get carried away with things as soon as you arrive. ?
    The Stuff you bring over will get you by and can be replaced when you spot a bargain, get my drift.

Fridge/freezers and lcd tvs I have found to be equivalent to uk in price sometimes dearer, ?but shop around and barter with your cash.

also I would advise you to pre book most if not all your accomodation as some places when they hear that lovely english accent they see dollar signs, not all but some places will take your money and spend it for you, but apart for that you will find most nzers friendly and helpful in most ways.

remember that the natural lifestyle here is wonderful and it doesn't cost you a penny,
    and thats what its all about, ?beaches that are to die for, landscapes that make you melt at the knees and watch you your children run free as the wind without a care in the world, bliss who could ask for more. !!!!

PM me if you want any more info

Blog Entries

Hi Moose ,

How's things going? Are you still in the BOP? Hope life in NZ is still treating you well.
    Mother Bear

moose is offline Senior Member

Hi MB

Yes ?we are still here and still LOVIN IT!!!!

Still can't believe we are actually here for good, still have to pinch myself sometimes, so I know we made the right move. We were one of those brave ones who took the gamble and sold everything without even visiting NZ first. Just a hell of alot of research first with eyes wide open, and thanks to this fab forum and great peeps to get us through any queries and the actual stressful time of the BIG move.

What more can I Say !!!!!

How Are You MB, Are You Still Here In NZ ????

Anna & Co.
    P.S. Hubby is still in Real Estate with Eve's Reality Papamoa and still enjoying it. He Has slotted into it well. So if anoybody has any questions he'd be move than happy to help.

Blog Entries

That's brilliant news, Moose. ?So pleased to hear all is going well with you. ?Looks like the gamble paid off and you made the right decision to grab life by the dangly bits and make a go of it downunder.

We haven't made it as far as NZ yet..... to live, that is. ?We visited January of last year and are hoping to visit again at the beginning of March this year, providing I don't go chasing any stray cats and break another ankle again ? ::). ? Apart from that, all is well with us. ?Just waiting to hear whether our time in Oman is coming to an end which mean that we'll be looking to move on to pastures new. ?Not NZ yet, got another 18 months to wait until Taffy can sponsor me (if he doesn't go into hiding before then ?).
    Mother Bear