Thread: Hello from Tauranga!

Rho
    Rho is offline Member

Default Hello from Tauranga!

Just a quick note to say we arrived in NZ about 3 weeks ago and we've been in Tauranga 2 weeks now!

Its absolutely beautiful and the kiwis are great. Have done loads of touristy stuff and even swam with Pilot Whales yesterday - awesome!

Otherwise, renting a house has been difficult - there are so few to rent and most are aweful - 70's throwbacks - really bad. Have managed to get a new build, but are paying over the top for it at $500 a week!! Better than no roof over our head especially over Christmas. Food/cars/etc all really affordable and the range in the supermarkets is so much better than I ever expected.

Have sorted out college/uni too for 3 of us. Just a job for my other half and we're in business.

Weather has been stunning - that sun is very hot and the BOP seems to get really good weather.

Off to unpack as our container arrived here last Thursday and the house is chaos.
    Rho.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Hello from Tauranga!

Another Tauranga-ite! Congrats on finding a suitable rental, but shame about the hassle finding it. Hope you settle well there. Looks like the weather's being kind to you, anyway.

Good luck with the unpacking. Hope everything's come through the trip unscathed.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Hi,

You'll love TGA, we wanted to stay there as well but ended up getting jobs in Wellie.

You're so lucky to be having Xmas and NY there. Beautiful scenery!

Exnottm is offline Junior Member

I thought Auckland was good, until I went to Tauranga.

wantka is offline Junior Member

Hi,

Just wondering if you know about the IT job opportunity at Tauranga ?

Alan

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Wantka, Welcome to the forum.

I was hoping one of our Tauranga-ites might be able to answer this, but guess they either don't know the answer if they're not in that line themselves or they haven't been back to the forum since you posted. From the little I know, I'd say there would be a better chance of getting an IT job in Auckland or Wellington rather than Tauranga. That's not to say they don't exist, but I think you'd have to dig around to find what you're looking for.

There's a list of job agents on the Master Website List under Employment which might give you some idea of where the jobs are most likely to be.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Hello!

Both Stu and I looked for jobs in TGA and there were a few IT one's there but not many.

Register with as many agencies as you can, best way forward. I would recommend Hudson, I think they're based in Whakatane but they got Stu a job in Rotorua and interviews in other area's as well. If they cant help you they'll pass you onto someone else in that area.

Here are a couple that I have been impressed with (remember not all deal with IT some more Proj Mgmnt or Adminy):

Addecco Address: 1/7 Totara St Mt Maunganui Phone number: 0-7-574 2901

Excel 78 Wharf St Tauranga Tauranga Phone number: 0-7-578 4222

I'm sure there were other IT agencies outwith TGA and the Mount that deal with recruiting in TGA so give them a go as well.

Good Luck!

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

We had to move from Tauranga as there was nothing available. In 4 months, only 2 jobs came up. The best paid out of those was $25,000 per year, and was taken within days, and the other was $20,000 which to be honest, a single person would struggle to live on. Competition for jobs in TGA is fierce, with so many people wanting to live there. This makes it an employers market, and sadly seems to keep the wages very low.

If you don't want to live in a huge city, try Hamilton where there are better opportunities with better pay (although still not great!), otherwise Auckland, Welly and Christchurch are the best for the IT sector.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.