Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our feet are firmly on the ground

Julian is offline Member

Default Our feet are firmly on the ground

Hi Guys,

WE MADE IT!
    Renting a new build property in a little place just outside Helensville. Fantastic.
    After 6 days without comms, we finally have a line to the world.
    This is the first chance since yesterday to say hello.
    By a miricle, we found an expat who is setting up a business in finding people, mainly from the uk, property to rent while they find their feet.
    Will give more details if anybody is interested.
    Regards
    Julian.

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Default Re: Our feet are firmly on the ground

Yay, Julian!

Welcome to NZ, it is great to hear you are settling down and now free to communicate with the world (us in particular!). :)

Good idea of that expat - arranging rented accommodation for new immigrants.

Been in the hot pools yet? I presume they are still there ... it was 1980/81 we tried them. ::)

:)
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Hey Julian - Welcome to NZ and welcome back to the forum! :)

Great to hear from you and keep us updated on your adventures won't you.....

All the best 8-)

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Hi Julian, you must be so pleased and relieved. I assume you have your daughter with you. What a weight off. Our daughter's playing up now, she'll be 16 in February. I know it's just nerves but one day she's excited and can see the positive side of things and the next she's down and upset about leaving her friends and worried about having to start again. She's a bit like a yoyo. I keep trying to explain that we all feel like that from one week to the next and it's completely normal but she seems to think that her fears are more complicated than everyone elses.

Really pleased that you and yours are settling down and enjoying NZ. Hope it all works out well for you ;)
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hey Julian, congratulations on making it to NZ.

Sounds like your first impressions are good ones. Hope the family feels the same, especially your reluctant daughter. Will be wonderful if she is truly pleased to have made the big decision to go.

Let us know how things go for you and you know we'll be interested in any stories you have to relate on life downunder.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Julian is offline Member

Thanks for the welcome, all.
    Dawn,
    My daughter is experiencing similar thoughts to your daughter, although her friends etc are a long way away, she does feel that the pressure of youth life has disappeared and is more calm. She is off out all day tomorrow to meet new friends in the local hot pools here. We will try and keep her time occupied to ease the transition.

I will try to put our story together although I don't do this sort of thing well when a little less busy.
    Julian.

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Hi Julian and family, how did your daughter get on the other day on her friend finding mission? What does she think to the NZ kids and how keen are they to accept her? I imagine they would all think it cool to have an English friend and have lots of questions to ask about the UK. How's she getting on? What's her name by the way, I don't like keep calling her she. :-?
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

cradley is offline Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    Hi Guys,

WE MADE IT!
    Renting a new build property in a little place just outside Helensville. Fantastic.
    After 6 days without comms, we finally have a line to the world.
    This is the first chance since yesterday to say hello.
    By a miricle, we found an expat who is setting up a business in finding people, mainly from the uk, property to rent while they find their feet.
    Will give more details if anybody is interested.
    Regards
    Julian.
    Hi Julian, im new to the forum as we are just starting the immargration process, we too are experiencing problems from our 16 yr old daughter (Kayleigh).It would be good to know how she's adapted to her new life, i would be greatfull if you could send me details of the rental expat . Do you know if they have properties for people with pets ?
    Regards Cradley.

Julian is offline Member

Thumbs up Still here after nearly 4 years

Hi Folks,
    I'm not sure if anyone out there remembers me but I moved over here in Nov 2006 with my family.
    I was very grateful for the help and encouragement people gave prior to our arrival through this web site.
    Kids are fully integrated. A load off my mind.
    Wife working but not I. Trying to get an electrical apprenticeship after 1 year full time study.
    If any one out there knows someone in the game in the Auckland area and is interested, let me know. (09 420 9970).
    Any way, people here are awesome, genuine and kind.
    The best move we ever made.
    Good luck to all those in the process of coming over.
    Regards
    Julian

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

JULIAN!!! Welcome back after all this time . I think a few of us have been wondering how it all worked out for you in the end. So pleased to hear things are going well, apart from the lack of apprenticeship for you. Hopefully, when the recession fades away, things will loosen up and more jobs become available. I've read recently that a lot of kiwis are heading back overseas to work so NZ may end up back where it was pre-recession when they were crying out for skilled people. Then all the kiwis came home and jobs became very scarce because the incoming kiwis flooded the job market.

It's great when one of the 'old gang' reappears on the forum and gives us an update. We had a good, close group of members at one time and had a lot of fun. Sadly, the 'glue', that magic mix that held us all together, isn't so evident now though. Such is life.

I do hope you can manage to find someone who is long-sighted enough to offer you an apprenticeship soon because it won't be long before NZ is looking out for skilled people again. Good luck and keep in touch.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast