Thread: Container Was 18 Days Late!!!

Debd is offline Oh Masterful One

Default Container Was 18 Days Late!!!

Hello everybody,

It's been a while unfortunately but I have only just got my computer unpacked as our container was 18 days late in the end!!! You imagine what that is like when you have planned and waited for all of your furniture and belongings.

I have to say that things have been pretty rough all round since the journey about 7 weeks ago now. Obviously all is not bad, there has been the occasional warm and sunny day, we have found a nice house to rent, the children are happy etc.... BUT there has been tremendous stress too.

For the first 4 weeks we stayed at a hotel in CBD and to cut a long story short, I had several items of clothing stolen by staff. (They had called to say that my husband had left some items behind on the back of a door I think). He went to coollect them, was told at reception that they couldn't see any! (At this point we hadn't noticed them missing). A day later, we had another call to ask whet we hadn't collected my clothes, by then I realised my dress was missing! I said Eddie would pick this up along with another item of my son's. An hour later:another call....."Sorry, your clothes have gone missing! I checked my wardrobe and saw that several items were there and informed them. They acted shocked and sorry but later acknowledged that they had seen several of my things hanging in the room when the cleaners had called them to inspect our room! (Another story!!!)....... several upsetting days later, with lies, unwelcome flowers from the manager and more 'mixed up, made up' stories I just had to push for a financial settlement as it was making life very difficult.
    Then issues with the shippers, it arrived at port about 3 - 4 days later than expected, with no explanation, then took a further 18 days to get it to our door! (I was assured in England that this would be from 3-5 days!)
    So it arrived just a few days ago. Still some boxes to unpack but so far there have been several damaged items. (A stained glass panel cracked in three places), a missing section of a table, (the main middle section!), and a missing step ladder!!! This is just so far! And our settee cushion has been marked so badly that we have to put a cover over it! I'm in the proccess of compiling a list with pictures for the shippers. So far they have offered to file a report on our behalf as to why it took so long but I haven't even mentioned the damage and loss so far. We had certain things insured but not the settee as the shipping company told me they had never had a claim for a settee as they just don't get damaged!!!!!
    I'm not going to say how I feel about this as I'm sure you'd have an idea!
    Auckland is nice though, ha! No regrets, looking forward to some warm weather... it is SO cold here, unbelievable. Warm pyjamas are the call of the day with dreesing gown, duvet, woll blanket and 2 eiderdowns on the bed with a heater on sometimes!!! It was such a treat when our container arrived with more blankets and clothes. It is 11.30am here and my nose is ice cold!
    I hope to catch up more here in future with you all, I hope you're having an easier time of it! :)

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Default Re: Container Was 18 Days Late!!!

Hi Debd,

Sorry to hear that things have been a bit tough for you. ?Fortunately, we have had nothing but honesty in the motels we have stayed at (hotels are out of our price range!). ?Even though the contents of our container (shipped by Crown) was emptied at Auckland, stored there for some weeks, checked by MAF, then loaded into a lorry and stored at Whangarei, we did not have any missing items. ?We did, however, have a table and bookcase damaged. ?When I sent items back to my husband in the UK (via Allied Pickfords), a picture was damaged and a Victorian plate stolen. ?The insurance agent said we had been very fortunate!

Glad to hear you have found a rental and the kids are happy. ?Some could say that perhaps you are feeling the cold in Auckland as you have come from a British summer ... but I know how cold NZ houses can be! ? The weather's a bit changeable too at the moment ... a week or so ago I was converting to summer pjs, then it was back to winter pjs with thermal vest. ?Sometimes I am out shopping with short-sleeves and then revert to long sleeve and fleece inside the house. ?(Mind you, one can get that most of the time during a UK summer!) ?::)

Hang on in there ... you will surely feel a lot better when the chaos has gone and life can start moving smoothly again! ?
    [smiley=smiley20.gif] ?

Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

pianist1 is offline Member

Hi Debd,
    I am SO SORRY for the way things have been going for you! i guess a number of us are "in the same boat" with different horror stories to tell of our first weeks in NZ!
    We did not know where our container was for a while, but we have been told it should be here in mid-November (we shipped it out the first of September)...anyway, we are not in a big hurry to get it, since we have not bought a house yet. We decided it would be easier to move the stuff just once, so it is going to storage when it comes in. In the meantime, I feel kinda in a timewarp that took me to the past...our el cheapo rental (supposedly furnished) has no microwave, iron, toaster, hairdyer...and the washer is so small i have to do laundry every other day.
    If you haven't read my previous posts, we were evicted by a friend who invited us to stay at her house after 2 weeks (she simply went psycho on us) and were forced to spend extra money staying at a motel before finding this rental.
    I know things will get better for all of us newbies in NZ...so hang on in there, girl!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Oh Deb, what a bad start you've had, but let's hope you're getting the bad bit out of the way now and everything will be plain sailing after this. ?I sure hope so.

I'm still waiting on my little shipment from the UK to Oman. ?It's the balance of my stuff that I left in my son's house in the UK, but decided it was time to relieve him of it and it means that all our things will finally be together in one place. ?I was tracking the ship online and last saw it off the coast of Yemen on 22nd Sept. ?After that there was nothing and I was just praying that the darned thing hadn't sunk. ?Anyway, it's finally in port, being more than 2 weeks late and, with the end of Ramadan and now the Eid al Fitr holiday, it will be the end of the month before I'm reunited with my things. Goodness knows what state they're in after lying in this heat and humidity for so long. ?Fortunately, having managed without these items for 8 years now, I'm not in a desperate hurry to have them with me again. ?Just as well, eh? ? ;)

Pianist, I didn't realise you'd been evicted. ? :o ?How dreadful. ?I read back through your previous posts, but couldn't see mention of it. ?You could really have done without that sort of thing. ?

Both you and Deb seem to have had a shaky start to your lives in NZ, but it serves as a reminder to others on the verge of immigrating, that there are some pitfalls to look out for and, hopefully, to try and avoid, although shipping is something that's totally out of our hands. ?I'm dreading the time when all our worldly goods are bunged into a container and sent to their fate ? :-/.

Deb, thanks for looking in on us and keeping us up to date. ?I'm sure things will get a lot better for you, especially when the summer weather arrives. (It will arrive, won't it?? ?:D) ?I hope they can manage to find your missing items from the container, but how strange that just odd bits and pieces go a.w.o.l. ?Good luck with your claim with the shippers. ?

Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Maggiemoo is offline Senior Member
    Salisbury UK (was Tauranga NZ from 06/06 to 05/07)

Hi Deb and family

Sorry to hear that you have not had the best of starts to your life in New Zealand, but as others have said, things will get better. ?Once you get yourself settled in an area and you have all your things around you, you do start to "relax" more into it!! ?:) ?

You may have seen me post recently about the excitement of building our house, but behind my cheerful "Forum Exterior" I am hiding lots of annoyance and stress!! ?Didn't really feel like spilling it all out before but you have given me the impetus to do it as a warning to others moving out here. We had our container delivered a couple of weeks back, and I'm still coming to terms with what has happened to our stuff!! - we had to store it in the UK as we didn't have residency for NZ when we left UK - we arranged for it all to be shipped out at the beginning of August, and heard nothing from the shippers (I won't mention names at this stage until I know whether the whole sorry debacle is likely to be sorted!!) about when the shipment was leaving, when it was likely to arrive, whether we were only having a container or whether some goods had gone into groupage container (There was always some debate about whether we had over a 20ft container but they said they would know better when they came to remove it from storage and pack it in container! ?As we didn't hear anything more we had assumed that everything was coming in the one container) ?I had to keep calling the Auckland office to find out if the shipment had arrived, and was given about 3 days notice of its delivery!!! ?When it arrived here at our house, the guy from the local office called me in the morning and said that there was a problem with the consignment and there seemed to be about 50 (yes 50!) boxes missing!! ?That sounds like an awful lot of overspill from a 20ft container!! ?Having gone through the consigment list, what's missing includes our bikes, most of our garden furniture, about ?20k worth of art that we have collected over the years, antique heirloom furniture.....so as you can guess we are not happy. ?2 weeks later we are still waiting for an answer as to where this stuff is, the local office keep fobbing us off to Auckland who say they are waiting on a response from UK. ?I have phoned the UK office on 3 occasions to be told that the guy dealing with it will phone me back as soon as he is off the phone!! ?And nothing ?>:( ?

To make matters worse, we are in the same situation as you Deb where quite a few things that have arrived are damaged (bookcases with chipped wood, my daughters cot has a huge chunk out of the side, sandwich maker with snapped leg, a very good friend of mine made me a model boat as a wedding present - and the mast has been snapped) ?Its got to the stage where I just don't want to open any more boxes just in case!! ? Obviously we are taking photos of everything in order to notify the shipping company and the insurance company, but its just all quite distressing. ?I know its only possessions but its OUR possession!! ?Ah well, I've had my rant now...

Good luck with taking your complaint forward with the shipping company, would be good to know how its all going for you.

Best wishes for a better time ahead for you and yours,

Maggie x

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Another shipping horror story, Maggie! ?Very sorry to hear you're suffering as well. ?Never feel put off posting something like this on the forum, as it's always relevant to the subject of immigrating and whether to ship or not and a lot of us know what you're going through. ?

We were in the happy position of being able to pack all our own stuff when we moved from Qatar to Oman and, with it being our own stuff, we paid particular attention to areas and items that might incur damage. ?It was really hard work but we needed to save on the costs and we had the time to do it. ?The only thing that was broken was a drinking glass that had been put inside another one. ?It must have tried to expand in the heat and then cracked.

Just watching the packers putting our boxes into the back of the lorry gave us an insight as to how they are manhandled. ?For some reason the boxes were turned over and over as they were handed up into the lorry and we were really glad we'd made sure to fill each box to the top so that stuff couldn't move around as the boxes were tipped over. ?

Another time, when we only had a smaller shipment, it was obvious a small box had been dropped as you could see the dent on the corner of it. ?Inside were some quite expensive and very sturdy stone canopic jars from Egypt and ?they were badly damaged, one totally smashed. ?It must have been dropped from a great height considering the amount of damage. You can't tell me that boxes don't get dropped on a regular basis so it's very worrying. ?I'm sure we'd all have a fit if we knew the half of what goes on during the passage of our beloved possessions as they proceed from one place to another. ?

I'm the self-appointed Queen of Bubblewrap and Polystyrene. ?Everything breakable gets covered in bubblewrap until I can bang it on the table and not hear it clunk.

Maggie, I truly hope they manage to find your missing items. ?You have every right to rant about it all, as this sort of stuff isn't easily come by and means a lot to you. ?Fingers crossed for you. ? ?
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Thanks everybody for your replies! I was quite surprised to hear about other bad experiences.
    In fact, some of your stories are quite shocking!! Glenda, if things seem to go missing like that as a matter of 'that's the norm', then it really makes you wonder whether it's worth it at all! Are people who work for these companies really that bad? I have my suspicions that the customs and excise lot have alot to do with it! (Well that's who the shippers, the packers and the destination company blames!)
    No I didn't realise that you were evicted by your 'friend' Pianist!! How terrible. I hope you find a house soon to finally get settled and have your things around because this house does feel so much more like home now with our things about the place, (even if it is a right mess!)
    Today is like November in England Motherbear... rain and dark. A chance to do some work indoors though! Our newly purchased sunlounger has remained redundant in the garage for a few weeks now! I never thought that anyone could talk about the weather more than the Brits... but oh yes they do here!! Ha....(and that's coming from a hairdresser ;)
    Maggiemoo, your horrendous experience has really amazed me! We were dealing with the Wellington office, (where our stuff went to first for some reason). They said that they had not been sent our documents and inventory so had to send us one out!). At this stage I was inwardly blaming our shipping company. But they blamed them saying it was sent out weeks before to them! Then when the Auckland office got involved, they were blaming anyone!! (Oh yes, it's funny how the person you need to speak to is always on the phone!) Blah blah blah!!! Ha
    Well all the best everybody! because LIFE IS DIFFICULT for everyone and it's how you overcome the difficulties that makes the difference of the end result. (Now I just need to follow that statement myself!) ;D
    Thanks again
    Debra x

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Hi Guys,

Goodness what a lot of sad stories coming from this post. I really feel for you all as the last thing you want is damages to your personal belongings, eviction etc. Man not a good time for you all.

On the other hand things can only get better. That's what we keep saying when things go wrong. Just treat it all as one big experience and hope things improve which I'm sure they will.

I think if we decide to stay we may well just sell most of the things we kept/stored at our folks and just bring a small container of sentimental things. I've heard so many stories of things arriving late etc.

Keep me posted with everyone's goings on and I'll log on as much as possible. Wellie's WIFI is pants. Getting WIFI every so often in the appt. Am currently sitting in Cuba street in the cold checking the net!!! How sad am I....

Hi Amy,

Nice to hear how you've been doing! So Wellington for you then? It seems to be the favourite doesn't it! I do like Auckland so far, even though we've only been to very few parts of it so far! I liked the city centre, I thought it was friendly and had a nice park but the usual crappy shops put me off to want to visit often. I can't stand seeing McD's, Kentucky, Burger King, Pizza Hut anywhere, let alone in NZ!!! People are crazy for them here aren't they!? My son Isaac who is 4 had even started to mention the dreaded 'M' word every time we passed one, which was about every 2-5 mins, ha!!So we'd use the tactic, "OOh no, we'll only go there if we're desperate and fancy some disgusting food", ha... poor thing, I'd say that he'd only get one when he'd been naughty because the food is so bad!! It did the trick, I know it could've backfired but I took that chance and now he just says occasionally, " Oh no, not another one!!" Ha.... for now!
    Well regarding the container, my shipping company that i used is filing a report to see what and why it happened, I had to send him 32 pics of the damage!!!
    Will let you all know how it goes, I'm just hoping that they will take full responsibility and pay up!
    I hope you find a good place to live and love soon Amy, good luck,
    Debra