Thread: We are here!!!!!!!!!!!! At last, c'mon!!

Default We are here!!!!!!!!!!!! At last, c'mon!!

Hi All

We landed in AKL this tuesday, the 19th. Flight with Emirates via Dubai, Singapore and Brisbane. All went well - apart from Jacky leaving her handbag on the plane when we got off at AKL. I went off to get the Previa while Jacky waited for news from Emirates. Handbag returned about 10 mins after I did with the Previa.

15 mins and we were at our Motel in Papatoetoe - The Grange Motel. Pat & Bernie pointed us at our unit, handed the kids hot muffins and said to come and see them when our heads had landed! We were all in bed by 7pm, hardly surprising after 29 hours stuck in a flying tin can.

Woke up on Wednesday am about 5am and watched the sun rise at the start of the first day of our new life. We cruised up SH1 to Queen Street, met with Jo at Westpac and got our banking sorted out. Our account had been opened in the UK - so all we had to do was show our passports & we got our EFTPOS cards.

Then it was off to for a celebratory meal at the top of the Sky Tower in the Orbit Restaurant. It revolves slowly round giving fanstatic views of the bay and downtown AKL. $125 for the 4 of us, substantially fed and watered - and we didnt have to pay admission to get up there either!

Next was a big big shopping expedition looking for a campervan. second call was at Maui Direct (they sell their ex-rentals), and we fell for a 2001 Mercedes Sprinter. The deal was done and we were to collect it on friday. I called in to the AA office next to the sky city tower (we had to call back to the Orbit as we had left some shopping there at lunch time) and got fully comp insurance for the Motorhome for $374 for the year. I double checked to see if we had full cover - it just seemed to cheap to be true!

So far everyone we have met have been true to our vision of Kiwis - friendly, helpful and always keen to talk to you about what you are doing and wishing you well about it. We talked this afternoon to a woman who emigrated in 2001 and had called round by the motel to see Bernie - she is part of her family now. And this appears to be a common occurance with people who have been staying the the Grange. We went swimming to Papatoetoe public baths and found out they are free! How cool is that?

We pick up the camper tomorrow and head off down country to Tauranga so Olivia can swim with Dolphins (this was her only "rider" for coming to NZ, but I must admit that we are all looking forward to it!).

Kids are just about adjusted to the 12 hour time shift - and another night should see me and jacky sorted.

Will keep you posted as we pass through campsites with wifi.

A word of encouragement to those still waiting. AWESOME. It is worth the wait, so far our experiences have surpassed our expectations 10 fold. And we have only experienced downtown AKL - so i am sure the rest of NZ will be even better.

Cheers for now

Nick, Jacky & the "Littlies"

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: We are here!!!!!!!!!!!! At last, c'mon!!

Now that's the kind of post that warms the cockles of my heart ?:)

I am so pleased that your experience of NZ has exceeded your expectations. You sound like you'll settle in extremely well!

The kiwis are a friendly bunch (by and large ?;)).....

Here's wishing you the very best in your new life. Keep in touch.

P.S. I swum with dolphins last year and it is every bit as awesome as they say it is - hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

P.P.S. Welcome to New Zealand btw ;D

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Wow, what a great post, and welcome to New Zealand!

It is so great to hear that you are enjoying your first days in New Zealand. Have fun with the campervan and let us know about the swimming with dolphins (my 13yo daughter was promised this too and over a year later she is still waiting!).
    :)
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

The UK must be emptying at an alarming rate if our little forum is anything to go by. ?

Brilliant post and so good to hear your first impressions are favourable. ?Very encouraging to other members and also it helps to counter some of my more 'negative' newspaper article posts. ?

Keep us up to date with your wanderings as I'm sure they'll be very interesting to read about if this first NZ post is anything to go by. ?

[smiley=Best_wishes.gif] and[smiley=Cheers.gif]
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

kokopeli is offline God like figure

What a fab post! ?;D

I'd be really interested to hear how you get on with the camper, news on finding sites, topping up water etc. ?We've shipped our 'van over from the UK and hope to meet up with it after we arrive in AKL on 28th Oct. ?

We're hoping to 'do' the North Island before Christmas, South Island in the New Year, so all and any campervan info would be welcome! ?

Debd is offline Oh Masterful One

Hey great news Nick and Jacky, so glad you're having a good time with great expectations realised!
    Auckland IS lovely isn't it? I really like it here so far too. Queen St is a bit too 'Americanised' with Mc D's and Burger Kings and Starbucks all over it but the rest is better.
    Hope all continues to go well for you all,

Debra and Eddie and family

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Well chuffed for you and yours matey!!! Sounds like you're truly living the dream and what a great post!!! I'm so excited and I have so long to wait.... It's not fair, it's not fair :(

Goodluck with the rest of it dude 8-)
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

.... It's not fair, it's not fair ?:( ?
    Here, Dawn, have one of these. [smiley=notfair.gif]
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Hi Nick and Jacky,

Welcome to NZ.

It just gets better and better each day trust me. Been here two months now and we are so taken by it!

My folks back home and sishave started to fall in love with it as well with all our stories.

Enjoy your new beginings and have fun!