Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yeee Haaa Here at last!!!

Debd is offline Oh Masterful One

Default Yeee Haaa Here at last!!!

Hi everyone,

Just a quick Hello to say we're here at last After a fairly pleasant 1st leg of journey to Hong Kong, then 3 hr wait to continue 2nd leg to NZ!! (Agghhhhh.... the horrendous bit!!)... just so cramped and endless! In fact I feel we're still on that particular flight sometimes - 4 days later!!!!
    I'm on internet in a shop in Auckland city somewhere but will have to go to look for a car and home soon, so just a little visiet to say Hi. Sorry haven't had much time to read any other posts, tried before I left UK but was too diff' to get in forum, all new I see!
    Our accom. is pretty fantastic fortunately, next to the lovely Albert Park in Auckland. We need to find a house though before the end of Sept, pref' much before so we are hiring a car at mo for 3 days til we buy one. Weather was awful y'day so diff' to look at cars with 2 crying kids, ha!!!
    Lovely here so far. Lovely friendly people in city, not rushing about and very patient it seems!
    Food seems to cost a bomb in the supermarkets though... (that's coming from someone who usually shops in M&S and Sainsbury's)
    So I've been stuffing myself with sweets and chocs....
    Bye for now. Can't wait to get my own comp' back in shipping at end of month. Prob won't be around for a little while so all the best to everyone. Hope all is going well,
    Cheers, tik keer!!!! ;)

Debra, Eddie, Isaac and Eva Agnes

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Default Re: Yeee Haaa Here at last!!!

Hi Deb and family, W E L C O M E TO NEW ZEALAND !!! :)

Glad to hear you are still cheerful what with the rain ... hope you've got sunshine as well as showers down there today!

Good luck with finding a nice rental soon. Watch out with those sweets and chocs ;) ... along with the takeaways, cakes and muffins one does to tend to fill oneself up on in those first few days. ::)

:)
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Another new arrival! Glad to hear it's all going well so far (apart from the weather but, no doubt, the best of that is yet to come).

Look forward to hearing all your stories once your computer has arrived.

for looking in on us.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Best wishes with settling in, Deb. I'm glad you arrived safe and sound.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

stu75 is offline Junior Member

Hi Deb,

Glad you made it in one piece (BTW this is Lil Amy here, using Hubby's logon as mine wont let me in).

Its a great feeling being here after all the planning etc. We're just settling into normal life after a few weeks travelling and it's great. Nice to have somewhere to call home even if it is only for 6 weeks till we move on again.

Good luck with the car and house searching.

Keep in touch,

Lil Amy

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Great news Deb! Hope you settle down and get somewhere to call home soon. Take it easy :D
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

Blog Entries

Hi Deb,

(BTW this is Lil Amy here, using Hubby's logon as mine wont let me in).

Lil Amy
    Lil Amy, have you tried logging in with Lilamy (all one word)? ?Not sure if this new forum only accepts single-username logins. ?I had to merge mine in order to get in although it still shows as 2 words on the forum. ?

Glad you found a way around it though ?;). ?Wouldn't want to lose you because of forum foibles. ? ;D
    Mother Bear

well done Deb & co!

My posting has slowed up due to living with the mother in law and they only have dial up.

Anyway glad your there ok, its only 5 days till we fly. How long are you gonna be in Auckland for?

Cheers

Nick

Debd is offline Oh Masterful One

Thanks everyone for the lovely messages!
    This is only the 2nd time I've managed to get to the internet shop, but I will always check-in!!!
    We now have a car, a Toyota Sceptre Camry thingy, boot converts to a 7 seater, I love it!!! Cost only $4,ooo... that's about 1.5 GPB pounds I think!!! Bargain. And we now 'blend in' along with all the other millions of Japanese station wagon drivers, ha!!
    We hired 2 car seats for the kids from Plunket, thanks to Ryan the lovely man at the 2nd hand auto place where we got the car. He even offered to ring his friend to see if we could borrow his seats til our container arrived.
    We have experienced the warm friendliness of NZ's people. The city is so friendly too.
    Trying to find a house is another story! :-/
    You can't get to see anything quick round here so a bit frustrating to say the least. The couple we have seen, well one had already gone but the kind owner insisted we still looked just so that we know what you can get for ex amount of $!!! I said to her.. "No no, we're going to love it so can't bear to!" But she made us!! Ha... it was lovely, quite perfect actually!! It was massive, like a mock tudor black and white 'beam' (painted weatherboard???) ;) house from the outside. A huge workshop in garden that would have been ideal for my work!!!! And the most perfectly landscaped pretty private courtyard and lawned garden area!! Grrrrr.... It was in Glendene, a lovely suburb, I think in the West. Ah well...
    Yesterday we saw one in Birkenhead I think. Lovely but maybe a bit too secluded near the bush! 4 bedroomed, garage, good sized garden, decked at front with nice views of shrubbery etc...plus a granny flat that was going to be offered to us to rent if we wanted about 6 months down the line for an extra $180 pw. The house was $380. We've had to 'up' our original naive budget of $300pw to approx $400pw if we want something nice in a nice area. We've spotted soem nice 'sea-view' ones that we'd like to view but still waiting for the calls to arrange appointments!
    We came to NZ thinking that the West would be for us but we really like the East, (Mission Bay etc....), very pricey but you never know! The North is our latest desire too. Birkenhead is very nice. we have a viewing tomorrow, the house looks fantastic for the outside, very tidy garden etc and a colonial style villa... but it's on a main road, but then it's also handy to all the great little shops and a short walk to seaviews etc.... Mmmmm.... what to do? Well we'll see how loud it is on main road before deciding. It lokks safe enough with fecing etc but not sure if we fancy listening to traffic and sirens and inevitable 'bumps' at the juntion close by.... that's another story for Glenda!!!!
    Glenda, I remember you warning us all about the wierd right of way system and drummed it into Eddie about it!!! I took the car for the test-drive and was really happy that it drove well, (like me! ), and then...... BIB BIB BIB ......... Sh;; ?I forgot about that!!!! The gut drove right up behind me as if I'd offended him in turning left and not waiting for him to take same turning from opposite direction!! ?I put my hand up to say sorry of course. I felt ok and realised what I'd done but when I told Ryan the garage guy about it, he said, "Cor you were lucky cuz usually they just drive straight into you! We see loads of that happening outside here!"... Then he pointed to all the broken glass at the junction. I asked him if it was just the Brits that do that? "Ner... mainly it's us Kiwi's!!!!!" Uh ?:-/
    I must say that it has put me off driving for a bit!!! Eddie has taken to the roads like he's been here before! He seems to know the way round the whole city and many suburbs.... I'm so jealous! I used to be the "london city driver' round here! Ha ha...
    Anyway, it's nice to take in the views!
    To finish off, the kids have been quite sick. Eva has been throwing up at in-opportune times for a few days and now poor Isaac is throwing up every 20 mins since 5am this morning! So, again, we can't all go out together to check out places to live!!! Why is immigrating SO difficult??? Forget plans!
    Lil Amy, I'm glad you're settling in, you must feel well happy by now!!
    Nick, I wish I had dial-up! I regret not taking my laptop now and sending it with the shipping instead. We'll be based around Auckland forever I think as Eddie's job is in CBD so we'll be living within 20 mins of there. we're staying at The Quadrant in Waterloo St in CBD until the end of Septemebr the latest, so let us know if you'd like to meet up! I'll pm you our details in a bit, hope you get them in time. I don't even know the date!
    And very finally, Eddie popped into his hospital he'll be working at and thought it was lovely, as hospitals go. He was surprised that nearly all the nurses on his ward were English. One guy even studied at the same Uni in Cardiff!!! Amazing!! He was also pleasantly surprised to hear that his wages would be increased because of his experience etc... and that there'll be plenty of overtime if he wants it!! That's bumped it up by another $15,000!!! (We're still poor though, he tells me!!! :o) Good job, cuz I'm not going to be able to set up my thing for a while.
    This has taken me eons to type so sorry I can't read the posts again!!
    Take care everybody...
    Oh BTW it's a bit chilly here!

Blog Entries

Brilliant to hear how things are going for you Deb. ?You've been having quite a time of it. ?There was some talk of doing away with this daft NZ rule about right of way, but it's gone very quiet lately. ?Probably would be even more chaos then as the kiwis try to get used to doing it 'our' way. ?

Sorry to hear your little 'uns aren't very well . ?Hope they'll recover soon so that you can all go out and about again together.

Wishing you all the best with house hunting. ?I hope you find just what you want, where you want.
    Mother Bear

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast