Thread: Problems with Excess Baggage

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Default Problems with Excess Baggage

Hi,

I popped this info under General Information but thought it may be more useful her. I

f anyone has any problems with excess baggage and doesn't want to pay the extra cash to get it on you can usually buy another bag and take out the amount of weight from your cases and pack it iand take it on as extra hand baggage for free!!

We were told this by one of the Malaysian Airlines Managers in KL airport as we had this problem yesterday.

They were going to charge us ?140 for an extra 10kg's. We just bought a ?10 holdall from a childrens shop near KFC in KL airport (this is a lot cheaper than the actual bag shops in KLIA) emptied 10kgs out of the suitcases and took it on as hand luggage. The staff saw us doing this and saw that we both had an item of hand luggage each plus our laptop and let us on no questions asked.

Always worth a try...

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Top tip, coolio. I managed to get them to let me off the 7kgs we were over. Good job as we have like 10 pieces of hand luggage anyway between 4 of us hehe.

Debd is offline Oh Masterful One

Geee! Thanks for that important info Amy!! The baggage allowance with Cathay Pacific is a measley 20kg each so I was wondering how we'd manage! I hope Cathay Pacific are as generous as your airline though! Also, it's hard with 2 small children and a pushchair to contend with but I suppose it's worth the extra effort. We were going to ship our laptop out in the container but really, it probably would be a better idea to carry it on. The only thing is with our laptop, something strange has happened to the motherboard so it won't run or recharge the battery so we have to use the mains!! Grrr.... any suggestions anyone? I haven't a clue with computers!
    It's so annoying, it cost me ?1000 3 years ago and I don't particularly think that is a very long time for a computer to last!!
    Enjoy your journey Amy and Stu.... all the best,
    Debra

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Hi Deb,

Malaysian Airlines didnt count our laptop as hand luggage so you may just want to take it on the flight with you.

Re your laptop, have you tried a new battery for your laptop as that may be the problem? Prob the cheapest thing to try first of all.

Good luck!

Debd is offline Oh Masterful One

Hi Amy, I wonder where you are now?
    As you may well know now - you can't even take a handbag on as handluggage at the mo with all the tightened/throttled security precautions.... hope it will change soon but still best to be safe I guess!!
    Yeah regarding my laptop, I had a comp-man look at it a while ago and he was the one who told me about the motherboard etc.... and I spoke to him again yesterday and he thought it would cost too much for a new battery, poss' ?100 and didn't really recommend them anyway as only last for a short time! But he did say that you can buy a special card (pmc?) for it to enable broadband or something as long as the building has this new feature to get the signal... but I'd still need the mains!! Think we'll see what the airports are allowing then decide what to do, trouble is: our container gets shipped this week, so will have to judge before Thursday!!! Uhh so much to think about, I'm shattered - just finished work too and not much sleep with little one teething!!!! :022:
    I hope you are both having a good time with everything!
    Bye for now....... thanks for staying in touch with us all!!!
    Debrax