Thread: Any tips on packing/shipping your own container?

pianist is offline Junior Member

Default Any tips on packing/shipping your own container?

We are trying to decide how we will move our stuff. Despite having downsized the amount of furniture and other stuff we want to bring with us, the professional movers (Allied) gave us a quote of close to US$11k! We have an allowance of some US$6,700 given by my husband's employer to cover removal expenses and we are trying hard not to spend a lot of money out-of-pocket for removal, since we need the cash for other expenses when we get there.

Has anybody packed and moved themselves? I guess I am most concerned about the all the regulations when it comes to Customs, etc. Since most of the people reading this forum have not moved yet, does anyone have any 'stories' of someone else who did it? Would really appreciate any responses...

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

I haven't had time to read right through this to know if it will be of any use to you, but have a read anyway in case it is.

Using a reefer instead of a container can work out cheaper too.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

If you're thinking of packing your own stuff, I guess you'll need to know what things are banned from entering NZ and other things that need to be separated for inspection on arrival. This site gives some details.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

pianist is offline Junior Member

Thanks, MB...we'll print out all the forms. We found one company that will rent us the container (40') and ship it for us for just over US$5k. We have just 2 hours to fill up the darn thing before they take it back to Miami where it will be shipped out. Every hour over the 2 hours will incur an extra charge. We think we will hire some local guys from a moving company to pack it. If we make sure that all the boxes are packed properly and ready to go into the container before it gets here, we could do it. Even having to pay the extra hourly charge would be still a whole lot cheaper than using Allied. Will update as things go along....so other Americans can consider this option.

Pulsarblu is offline God like figure

Wow...pianist...first time I heard that someone is/are (get more big guys)participating in the 'fastest packer for container' contest. J/k.

Hope you have fun and be able to meet the 2 hour deadline.. Does that 2 hours exclude the trucking time from your place to the port?

Pulsarblu