Thread: War Driving

hatter5 is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Default War Driving

Been in J'ville for just over a week.

I have been unable to get any useful time online as the local internet 'cafe' shuts at 19:00 (or so I was told by the guy taking the money)

A light bulb blew in our room so I went to the Motel's reception for a replacement and spotted a new wireless ADSL Router!!! I enquired if I could use it but informed it was private.

It appears not! Passwords are popular in the UK but not here as I am in my new (2001 Ford ' L A S E R') and browsing happily but the screen's glow may give me away as I'm parked just around the corner from reception behind some trees. Needs must.

I may have found a rental after viewing some scummy places and some good ones (for the same money). Short trem rentals are few and far between but have almost managed to get a three month lease (will sign tomorrow if all goes well). Our container is due this week and may be cleared by early next week so the timing has worked out as the motel costs are mounting.

I had to buy a mobile as the spare dual band one I brought was locked to Orange and was told that it would be a lot of hassel to track someone down to unlock it as Vodaphone dont lock their phones.

A job would be nice however!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Re: War Driving

It appears not! Passwords are popular in the UK but not here as I am in my new (2001 Ford 'L A S E R') and browsing happily but the screen's glow may give me away as I'm parked just around the corner from reception behind some trees. Needs must.
    I dunno. What lengths some people will go to to be able to post on the forum. ;) Nice one.

Great to hear how you?re getting on. Hope the new rental property works out OK for you and that you?ll be able to land a decent job in the very near future. Any leads yet?

I don?t know if this link will be of any use to you. It?s for unlocking mobiles. Click on the tiny Union Jack button towards the bottom on the left.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

hatter5 is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Default War Driving

MB,

I like the mobile link! I'll give it a try on the old handset later but too late as I've had no net access until recently. [smiley=icon_biggrin.gif]I've already got a new phone.

Rental was a complete farce as it had already been let out even though the agent showed us the property yesterday and we said we'd be in today to sign the paperwork. The thing that really p'd me off was I'd left my number with them and would return later today as the dealing agent was in a meeting. When we returned this afternoon we were told that 'it was let' and I enquired why I hadn't be phoned asap as they knew our situation - container due in next week? She just shrugged! A Whinging Pom complaint will be filed in the morning.

Fortunately we saw newly refurbished place walking distance to J'Ville station ($50 per week more though) after we went to another letting agent so we have applied to be tenants on a 6 month rental as short term leasing was proving too dificult.

Timing being important etc but we came across a developmentent with fair sized plots (for the Wellington area) 650m2 from $118K and have put an option on a 2000m2 section but need to speak to a builder to assess how complex the plot would be to build on - She'd be right - no doubt.

On the job front the agency will be meeting a client tomorrow to discuss what oppertunities thay have. Once we are in a rental with legitimate net access I can continue to look for myself.

Still mustn't grumble

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default War Driving

If you can manage to get your UK mobile up and running, it would come in handy as a second mobile in NZ.

Bummer about the rental. Not a lot of customer care there, if you ask me. Hope this other one goes through OK as I get the impression that good rentals are as rare as hens? teeth in NZ. Perhaps you?ll bump into Stevey, as he?s on the hunt for somewhere to live around Wellie, too. And James is in Johnsonville.

Would be good if the job agent can come up with something for you, then you can start to plan your future more confidently. Will keep my fingers crossed for you.

Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.