Thread: Dirt or Micro-organisms

spence is offline Junior Member

Default Dirt or Micro-organisms

Can I canvas opinion on what i can and can't take from outdoors. I don't want to leave it all behind. I know not to bother with lawn mowers but what about the following.

Wooden garden furniture, spades, forks, trowels, band saws, ladders, bikes, hoses, motorised kiddies quad bike, basketball, climbing frame,etc, and the list goes on.

I want to be sensible about this and I realise that there could be contamination risks associated with all those mentioned above. But if I'm over cautius than from a financial point of view I lose out.

I have looked at the biosecurity site and don't find it specific enough, other than mentioning dirty boots and bikes, it doesn't list examples of outdoor items that have been fumigated by them in the past.

Soem insight to problems experienced or not with outdoor kit, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Speno :icon_rolleyes:

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Spence

If you read through this previous post it'll tell you what others have been doing or are thinking of doing with regard to this matter.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

moggy is offline God like figure

You can take pretty well anything you like from outdoors provided that
    a) if it is wood - it is treated wood
    b) you have scrubbed everything ruthlesslessly clean - yes we steam cleaned two lawn mowers in anticpation

Default steam clean

I've think the message I'm getting is to clean, steam clean then disinfect. With the emphasis being on Steam clean.

Thanks Mother Bear, thanks Moggy. The forum is proving to be an excellent site for informative chat. It's really appreciated. I've plenty of questions now we're closer to our move, still seems like a pipe dream though.

Positive Mental Attitude (PMA) - that's what I keep telling my wife!

I'm off to post a comment about finance - strength of the pound against the dollar.

Cheers,

Adrian

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

I'm off to post a comment about finance - strength of the pound against the dollar.
    Off you pop then, where is it? Was looking forward to a good post on finance. [smiley=icon_sad.gif]

moggy is offline God like figure

Default Re: steam clean

I've think the message I'm getting is to clean, steam clean then disinfect. With the emphasis being on Steam clean.
    Jeyes fluid is also your friend - the smell lingers, so the MAF guys knows for sure it has been disinfected.

Also now is a good time to give your gardening tools a coat of hammerite, it does them good, and makes them look like new. It is not essential, but if like us you have several half used pots, you may as well use it on something rather than just throwing it out,

Stevey

Went to bed instead. You can only do so much in any one day. I think I've found a topic on finance that has mailings about the current performance of the dollar against the pound. We have an offer on our house and if all goes well may have money to exchange in about six-eight weeks. I do have some shares which I could cash in now but they're forecast to perform well for the end of the year. But is now the time to trade my shares, is the dollar going to go up or down?

Adrian

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

hehe sorry mate I was only messing.
    If you're talking about NZD it's about middling may rise a little. American Dollar can only get weaker, given that half the cabinet want it to.