Thread: Its all happening!!

Maggiemoo is offline Senior Member
    Salisbury UK (was Tauranga NZ from 06/06 to 05/07)

Default Its all happening!!

Been a bit manic in our house recently so haven't had much chance to browse this site - we decided 10 days ago that we would put the house on the market rather than rent it out and then get stuck in the situation where we would have to wait for the end of a tenancy before being really able to sell it. So it went into the property section of our local paper last Thursday, 2 viewings on Friday, both of whom offered full asking price!! [smilie=thumbs up.gif] We took the offer from the guys who had sold and were in rented and we are hoping to complete on June 2nd - the day we go to heathrow for our flight on June 3rd!! AAAAAARRGGHH! It's all becoming a bit real now!!!

Just had 5th lot of shipping companies in to quote - so tomorrow we are contacting 2 with most appropriate quotes (not necessarily cheapest) to see what they will come down to with some haggling.

Everyone thinks we are really brave or really mad, as hubby still hasn't managed to secure a job offer (same old story, can't have a job til you've got a work permit, can't have a work permit til you have a job offer...). We are therefore still going to be going out on tourist visas with a view to serious job searching and begging when we get there! We will be fine though...won't we?? Reassurance needed :icon_frown:

One question - are there any tax liabilities either in this country or in New Zealand for taking the equity from our house out of this country and into NZ for the purpose of buying property? I have had a quick look on net and can't find any specifics and no-one else seems to have mentioned it on here - it was a passing comment from a friend that got me worried!

Ah well, back to eBaying all the crud from many many years of hoarding - anyone want some old Blue peter annuals????
    :icon_biggrin:

Maggie x

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Woweee Maggie! Certainly does sound manic! [smiley=icon_biggrin.gif]

Yep, you are mad going to NZ, but you would be madder not to go! Look at the move as an adventure and you can't go far wrong.

As far as I know, there are no taxes involved in taking money from your UK house, savings or anthing else to NZ. I've heard a scary story that the UK government are going to tax people on the equity from selling their homes, but I do trust that has not come about yet (and never does!).

Good luck with the ebaying!

[smiley=icon_biggrin.gif]
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

driver is offline Member

Brilliant,

Send a little of your good luck to poor ol moose.

All the very best for a smooth ride. [smiley=icon_biggrin.gif]

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Maggie,

You're doing the right thing, I'm sure, as long as you've done your homework and have some idea of what's ahead of you. Hubby will stand a much better chance of getting work if you're in NZ so, if that's the only way you can get to stay, then so be it. Once he has a job offer, he can apply for his Work Permit and you'll be sorted.

Great news about the house. Wish it could be like that for everyone else. Life would be a lot easier.

Driver, how's your house sale coming along?
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Maggie, am soooo chuffed about the house, well done :038:

Ken will find a job no probs, like MB says, plenty of research works. Its an adventure, enjoy the ride mate!!

Carolynne

stndrd is offline Member

It will all work out for you, since your taking the initiative and making yourselves known over there I don't forsee a problem with a job.

We admire your courage and wish the best of luck with everything.

-Brian & April

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Wicked!!! Good on ya. House must be special to get two asking price offers. Nice one.

We arrive in AKL on June 2nd so you won't far behind? What's you plan, stay in Auckland or are you headed south?

Maggiemoo is offline Senior Member
    Salisbury UK (was Tauranga NZ from 06/06 to 05/07)

Thanks everyone for all your positive thoughts - sometimes I think this emigration process is like being on the most scary rollercoaster ever!! Not sure where my stomach is right now cos we have our medicals on Tuesday and I know already that I'm gonna 'fail&' on the dreaded tape measure test - will they take into consideration that I had a baby 4 months ago???? [smiley=icon_confused.gif]
    Moose, can I please say a big sorry for posting about selling the house - I hadn't read your post at that stage and I certainly never meant to crow about our sale - forgive me?? I really should think before I type! ::)

Stevey, we are heading into Auckland just to have a look around and maybe look for work - we land on 7 June (staying in LA for 2 nights en route) - got an apartment booked for a week right on Viaduct Harbour, then we are spending a week touring (Bay of Plenty, Taupo, Hawkes Bay are currently on itinerary) before hitting Wellington on 18 June - Wellington's our preferred location as we have friends there who have sold it to us big style. You heading there too aren't you? Have you got little rug rats too? Apparently there are some fantastic kids facilities in and around the city - loads of parks and playgrounds as well as clean safe beaches...I can't wait.

We have now sorted out shippers, they are coming in on 31 May and taking our stuff off to storage - we are using Pickfords as they offered us the best service and matched the quote from Anglo Pacific - we are only paying for storage at this time, and will pay the actual shipping costs only when we give go ahead to ship - no other firm offered that. We have used them for domestic removals in the past and have had no probs so fingers crossed this move will go smoothly too!!

Best wishes one and all x

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Yeah we're headed to Welly too with our two boys. (3 & 1).

Don't fret about your post. Moose said shout about it. When I was selling and having trouble, at least it was of some encouragement for me, altho a tad depressing at times. I was still happy for eveyone who succeeded tho, and wanted to hear updates of there progress.