Thread: UK Contract mobile phones.

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Default UK Contract mobile phones.

I'm only 4 months into my latest orange upgrade. What implications does this have for my handset I have subject to this 12 month contract? I assume others have left mid contract. My phone is multi-band so would work in NZ, what do we reckon?

Also what are contracts like in NZ, still fairly useful or are they expensive? Don't know how I'd cope without loads of free minutes and texts. That being said, won't have so many people to contact in NZ I spose.

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

I'd check somewhere like http://www.vodafone.co.nz to check on prices for contract phones. I've never really researched them as I just got a PAYG phone on arrival, and thats done me proud. I rarely use it, more for incoming than outgoing, so $20 credit lasts me months, rather than paying $whatever a month for the pleasure of owning a phone. You still have to pay for your mobile handset on contract anyway, so wasn't worth while changing for me.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

nattydread is offline God like figure

also worth checking if the handset is locked to only accept UK SIM cards..

I have a triband handset but the handset needed unlocking to accept a kiwi sim.
    My old employer very kindly paid vodafone the ?19.00 to get an unlock code..

not sure how you would find out if this needed doing until you tried to do it though..,.
    phone vodafone i guess..

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Perhaps you can unlock your own mobile using this site. If the bit in the box isn't in English, click on the little Union Jack at the bottom. I haven't used this, so don't know if it'll help.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Yeah I know mine is locked to Orange at the mo. But what about the fact I'm still in a UK contract on this handset. Do people just stop paying the monthly direct debit and leave with the phone anyway or have they rang up there service provider to be told they should return the handset as you've not carried through on the 12 months contract agreement?

NickampJacky Guest

Stevey

In a moment of madness I upgraded Jackys phone (with a new 12 month contract) - it was a free upgrade & I let the girls give it to her for motehrs day! Yes I know tight-or-what! What the woman in the O2 shop said was that when we go to NZ, the month before reduce the tariff to the cheapest available, ?12.50. Pay this upfront or terminate the contract and pay the penalty, and it will be alot cheaper than buying a new phone in NZ. Plus I have her old phone for me to use in NZ until I start work.

Her new Samsung takes an NZ SIM card over here, so I guess it will work ok with when when we get there.

Cheers

Nick

Awesome!! Samsung D600? That's my phone.

Sounds like a plan I'll just do that then:-) Do you know what the penalty might be or will they just ask for the the phone back.

NickampJacky Guest

With O2 i think its the full value of the lin erental - for us its going to be 5 months @ ?12.50 - still cheaper than a newe handset

Ady
    Ady is offline Member

Funny one this.

I was with Orange for 8 years, spending 3-400 quid a month. I gave them notice (2 months) and even sent the letter in recorded delivery, but they still said they hadn't had anything, and wanted 275 quid for 2 months line rental after the notice. A very common trick according to a friend who works for 02.

So I just left. Turned the phone off, bought a new one in Kuala Lumpur (my phone was about 5 years old), and bought a PrePay Vodafone Sim in NZ for $35.

I was told by a friend where my business was based that orange sent debt collectors 6 months later, but when told I had left the UK and they had no contact details, swore and left. I've heard (and no-one else heard) nothing since.