Thread: VVs 6, 9 or 12

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Default VVs 6, 9 or 12

Ok I could do with clearing this up.

Claire and kids will be coming on visitors visas, will that entitle them to stay for 6, 9 or 12 months. I understand that they are genrally valid for 6 months but can be extended. My question is under which circumstances.

Also does this mean onward flights need to be booked within 6 months or can I assume 9 or 12 months?

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default VVs 6, 9 or 12

6 months initially, but can easily be extended to 9 months. Can also be extended to a year under special circumstances, but not sure what they are. I would suspect a wife waiting for her hubby to get PR or similar would be looked upon favourably.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Default VVs 6, 9 or 12

How do you extend to 9 months?

Also could we book onward tickets for 9 months from arrival instead of 6 months on this basis, still satisfying the permit people?

Blog Entries

Default VVs 6, 9 or 12

Claire won?t need an actual visit visa to get into NZ. She?ll be granted a visitor?s permit as she enters the country. You can apply for a 3 month extension online (NZ Online Services) and there?s something about qualifying for an extra 3 months if she has supported herself financially, not worked or studied blah blah.

Have a look on the NZIS site, right hand side under Forms and Guides ? Guide for visiting NZ, scroll down to How long can I stay? on the left.

I don?t know about the air ticket, but people must manage somehow as I dare say there?s a lot that stay beyond the initial 6 months. You don?t intend coming back anyway, so the longer you can get the ticket for the better. Perhaps someone else will know whether they actually check the date of the return portion of the ticket when you enter NZ. There has to be a way, as countless other people have got in this way.
    Mother Bear

Default VVs 6, 9 or 12

Yeah I just read that guide. Looks like it shouldn't be too hard to extend to 12 months. I think if we book an onward refundable ticket within 9 months we should be right. Don't spose yopu know how Lisa did it when she came with Taffy on his WHV? Trying to book flights today you see. [smiley=icon_biggrin.gif]

Blog Entries

Default VVs 6, 9 or 12

I?d think I?d be inclined to go ahead and book, at least for the 9 months. Appears she?s more or less entitled to extend to 9 months anyway unless she does something dastardly, so I don?t know why they?d query it at immigration. Could the travel agent maybe provisionally book you in, if you explain the situation? You know the day you want to leave, just don?t know the ?return? date. Have a word with them, perhaps they can advise you if you really want to book it today. You can firm the booking up once someone has confirmed whether you can do it for the 9 or 12 months.

Pity you hadn?t come on about this earlier as I could have got in touch with Taffy to ask how they did it. They?ll be in bed by now, I expect. Perhaps someone else will come on that knows, although it?s the weekend and it does tend to go quiet on here.
    Mother Bear