Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: one way ticket for visitors visa's

stndrd is offline Member

Default one way ticket for visitors visa's

Hello all,

I am curious to know if I could fly over w/ a one way ticket on a vv? My plans are to look for a job when I fly over and hopefully not have to fly back (hence a job/work permit), so a one way would obviously be a lot cheaper.

-thanks,
    Brian and April

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Hi,

I know of only one way of doing it - get a forwarding ticket to Australia or somewhere else. We did that, then cancelled when we got here.

[smiley=icon_biggrin.gif]
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Yes, agree with Glenda. People entering NZ on a visitor?s visa must show proof of an onward journey and it appears that Oz would be the cheapest option.

Either that or maybe book a return ticket home for, say, up to year ahead if you intend to go back for a visit? I don't know if they'd accept that. Depends if they'd look at the return date, I suppose.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

fisheress is offline Senior Member

My case officer told me I couldn't do the Oz thing unless I had a ticket out of Oz too. Otherwise, their immigration would kick up a fuss when faced with a one way ticket..............then again, she wasn't really very helpful at all.

Fisheress

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

My case officer told me I couldn't do the Oz thing unless I had a ticket out of Oz too. Otherwise, their immigration would kick up a fuss when faced with a one way ticket..............then again, she wasn't really very helpful at all.
    Bit confused here ... if your destination is New Zealand, why would Australian immigration be involved?

We booked our tickets to Australia for a date two months after arrival in New Zealand, well within the 6 month visitor's visa limit. Paid for the most expensive ticket option for a full refund. Cost around $500 each. I think the lady at the check-in desk at Heathrow knew what we were up to, NZ immigration at Auckland Airport too, but no regulations were being broken.

The only hesitation we came across was to the fact that we needed a visitors/tourist visa to enter Australia when we (supposedly) left New Zealand, I did however say we would apply for this in New Zealand - sensible when you consider these visas (e-visas can be obtained online for a few pounds) last for only 6 months. However, from an immigration view, I suppose they could be concerned that one may not be granted entry to Australia for some reason and find oneself stuck in New Zealand; so that Oz visa might be a good idea.

I must say that this is just our experience. It is an uncomfortable way of entering New Zealand. I would not personally recommend doing it without some form of documentation from NZIS (letters/provisional acceptance etc.) as support if needed.

[smiley=icon_biggrin.gif]
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

moggy is offline God like figure

Why not buy two single tickets, making sure the return one is fully refunable, that way you don't have to go to the hassle of having to explain about Oz. You can buy the return the day before departure on your credit card, and cancel it the day you arrive in NZ, you won't even have to fork out for the dosh.

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Is the price difference that great? From what I've heard it isn't between single and return.

stndrd is offline Member

Is the price difference that great? From what I've heard it isn't between single and return.
    There's a USD$400+ difference. So it looks like I stuck paying it, I'll try and figure out a way to make it refundable though.

All of your answers bring up another question; when my wife and kids come over on my work permit/students visa's will they have to have onward or return tickets?

thanks again
    Brian and April

stndrd is offline Member

Scratch the first part of my last post; it's actually a $600 difference.

-Brian and April

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Eeek that's quite a difference.

As I understand it they'll only need one wayers if they already have visas.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast