Thread: When to get stuff shipped?

Maggiemoo is offline Senior Member
    Salisbury UK (was Tauranga NZ from 06/06 to 05/07)

Default When to get stuff shipped?

Am being a bit dense today (Probably caused by too little chocolate over the weekend - got medicals in a couple of weeks, so have decided that chocolate is completely off the menu for now!!), but am I right in thinking that if you ship personal effects out to NZ before you have residency you have to pay tax on the value of those goods once they arrive in NZ? What happens if we arrange for shipment while still on a work permit (or possibly even still on tourist visa!) and in the weeks that they are in transit we get our PR, would we still have to pay the tax once the shipment arrives?

Maggie

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Maggie,

If you have a read through this previous post, it might clarify things for you.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Maggiemoo is offline Senior Member
    Salisbury UK (was Tauranga NZ from 06/06 to 05/07)

Hi Mother Bear - thanks for the link - reassuring to note that if we do end up on work visa while waiting for PR, we can still start the process of getting our stuff shipped out without the spectre of GST hanging over us.

Cheers

Maggie

Pulsarblu is offline God like figure

Hi all,

I just want to share what the customs said regarding importing household effects through the email correspondences I had with them..

Hi,

I have a work visa granted by NZIS under the skilled migrant category and I have a question.

My work visa is a prerequisite for me to obtain a PR in NZ, I am planning to arrive in NZ by end of this year on the work visa with the final intention to obtain the PR after three months on a skilled employment. I would like to know if I will be tax GST on my household effects that I will bring and ship over while I am holding the work visa?

Thank you

They replied...

Thank you for your enquiry.

If your work visa is for a period of less than twelve months then I suggest that you contact the Client Service section of NZ Customs.
    Phone numbers can be found on our website www.customs.govt.nz under Contact Us.
    The Client Service section is where you will go to clear your household effects.
    They will be able to advise you with your particular situation. They will want to know what correspondence you have received from the NZIS.

If your work permit was for twelve months or more then your household effects that you have owned and used prior to coming to NZ would be free of customs charges.

I replied...

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, my work visa is valid for two years from Mar 2006 and I intend to move to New Zealand in Sep 2006. After three months on a skilled job, I will be granted permanent residency. I presume that means my household effects that are either shipped or with me when I arrive will be free from customs charges.

Thanks

They replied... ;)

Thank you for your enquiry.

If you have a Work Permit issued for 12 months or more then you may import your USED household effects without the payment of tax. Please make sure you are in NZ yourself to clear the goods do don't send anything ahead of you unless you are here to claim the concession.

Please take note of the Bold GREEN statement

Pulsarblu....