Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Extra Baggage on flights

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Default Extra Baggage on flights

Few things I've been mulling over.

We want to take out kids car seats we have bought over in the UK as we know safety of them etc. Would they have to be classed as additional baggage or, like pushchairs, would they be allowed on at no extra charge. At least I;m assuming pushchairs have no extra charge for carriage on longhaul flights the same as short ones around Europe.

Also my guitar is defintiely coming, I guess I'll have to pay for that, anyone know how much approx.

Finally I know ANZ has generous baggage allowances, but if we don't fly with them (as I don't think much of alot of reviews about them), what kind of costs are we talking about for excess baggage, is it charged per kilo. Obviously with a bit of luck they'll do the same as for Natty if we're a bit over but that' with ANZ baggage allowance so I'm thinking we may be way over normal limits.

Any help would be appreciated, please don't make me trawl through every airlines baggage small print through URL links tho. :icon_sad:

Cheers

Steve

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Can't help you much Stevey on the details and cost of extra baggage.

However, would say that if just holidaying in NZ, or there is just two of you, then by all means take Singapore Airlines, Emirates etc. IMO emigrating with a family is a different kettle of fish and Air NZ does cater for it in their baggage allowance.

We went AirNZ before they had the individual video screens, and survived. Air NZ are not so bad really and we found LAX no more tiring than Auckland Airport ... guess it depends what time of day you arrive/leave.

All in all, you are talking about just one day in your life.

:icon_biggrin:
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

I've got something in the dark recesses of my brain that we paid 5 GBP per kilo for excess baggage when we were taking stuff from Cardiff airport to Alicante with BMIBaby airline.

I'm not sure if what you can and can't squeeze through with is sometimes down to who you get at the check-in counter and maybe even the particular airline you're flying with. I think the cheaper airlines are more stringent as they reckon you've already had a good deal buying your tickets. I'd explained we were 'moving house' but it made no difference (we were 12 kilos over between us i.e. 6 each). That was when we were taking stuff to our new villa in Spain.

After having seen it and promptly deciding to sell it, we made the return trip via the UK and then back here to Oman and were never made to pay for the excess again, although we'd brought most of the things back with us.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

fisheress is offline Senior Member

If you give proof that you are emigrating eg residency sticker, Emirates give you an extra allowance per person with no charge but you have to mention this when booking your tickets. I think we were allowed 40kg each. We didn't even use all the allowance we were entitled to and had 7 bags and cases.

Fisheress

Blog Entries

Singapore Airlines can give extra allowance (up to 40 kg) if they are approached beforehand, but I?ve heard differing stories about how much and whether this was actually honoured at the time of flying.

If you fly with them and get them to agree a bigger allowance, I think I?d be getting something in writing from them to show at the airport if there is any problem. Seems to depend on who you speak to at the airline as to whether you get the extra and how much. Not sure whether you not having PR would make a difference as that can often swing it. Worth asking, though.
    Mother Bear

jamesthecarman is offline Oh Masterful One

32KG per bag for Qantas I believe.

As far as checking how much, maybe a phone call to the airlines? :icon_wink:

Here's a link (no fine print though) - www.yell.co.uk :icon_twisted: Muwhahahahahaha

Cheers guys, so noone has taken car seats over? Thought some of us with kiddlies may have.

Will have to ask about baggage allowance when booking like you say I reckon, 5 quid a kilo is a lot tho, perhaps we'll just have to take less stuff, it's so hard to gauge.

driver is offline Member

Hi Steve,
    I want to take my guitar too, don't want to be without it for 8wks while it rocks about (see what i did there) in the container. :icon_rolleyes:

Even had a hardcase for christmas for it, so it won't get squashed in the hold.

But on second thoughts i'm putting in the container. Two reasons.
    1. Because i think it will get chucked about too much at the airports.
    2. With all the other suitcases and stuff we'll have, a huge hard case will be a pain at the checkin and checkout and probably won't fit into the hire car with all of us and the rest of the stuff.

So sadly have to do without for a while. :icon_frown:

If you've got kids and prams, car seats and cases and a guitar, how many arms will you need?

Was hoping a trolley would suffice tbh, there's no way I can cope without a guitar for longer than a few days. I have one of these lightweight hard case thingies. Gonna take the chance on some fragile stickers and travel insurance. I'd sooner leave my clothes than my guitar to be honest. No doubt we're gonna have our hands full tho :icon_eek:

Blog Entries

Hmmm. Two trolleys, I?d have said, if you?re taking at least a couple of suitcases, hand luggage, pushchairs, car seats AND the little ?uns. For God?s sake don?t find yourself in a situation where you?re stuck and just can?t figure out how you?re going to move it all. It?s a horrible feeling to end up stranded with just too much luggage to move around with. It?s not just a case of checking it in at the airport and forgetting about it. Firstly you have to get it all to the airport and that could mean car, taxi, bus or train and manoeuvring it between them and then manhandling it all at the other end.

We got caught at Heathrow like that when we found our hotel didn?t provide the pick-up service we?d been promised. We ended up having to take a bus there and the next morning had to take the same bus back again, only this time it stopped short of our terminal. This involved what seemed like a never-ending trek (at high speed) to and through a train station to find a train. Part of this had to be done without the aid of a trolley as we couldn?t take it beyond a certain point. It was very unpleasant and that was only two of us. We didn?t have very young children to cope with, nor did we have unwieldy pieces of luggage, like a guitar case and car seats. It was only 2 suitcases and 2 trolley bags plus hand luggage, but that was bad enough.

If you really have to take it all with you, I'd strongly advise you to have a practice run at home and I don?t mean just from one end of the room to the other. Claire will no doubt be tied up with the children, so it?ll be down to you Mr. Shifter. If anything unexpected crops up on your journey, you need to be sure you can manage to move all the luggage without a trolley, if the worst comes to the worst. And you can only get so much on a trolley anyway, if you can find one in the first place. When we came back through Heathrow, we managed to get the last trolley. There was uproar, as a LOT of people found themselves with a heap of bags and no trolley.

And, if you intend to leave your clothes behind in favour of taking your guitar, does this mean that NZ will be treated to the sight of its very first nude busker? [img:b306524ea0]http://www.smilies.smileyville.net/smilies/923.gif[/img:b306524ea0]
    Mother Bear

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast