Thread: Bone handled knives!!

Maggiemoo is offline Senior Member
    Salisbury UK (was Tauranga NZ from 06/06 to 05/07)

Default Bone handled knives!!

I know this seems a bit of a weird question, but does anyone know if I can take a bone handled carving knive and fork in to New Zealand? I do mean in stuff we ship out, by the way, I don't intend taking it in my carry-on luggage!! I've looked at various sites about things you can and can't take in with you and see that ivory is a no-no, but these are some other sort of bone/horn. They were a very expensive wedding gift and I wouldn't really want to give them away or sell them, so any help please?

Maggie

moggy is offline God like figure

http://www.maf.govt.nz/quarantine/an...ucts/index.htm

I would suspect that you are fine bringing them, though possibly as a worse case scenario they may have to be treated as they may be classed as animal skin products. Which if you follow the link says they are allowed in after treatment.

However in practice they are likely to get chucked in a box with other stuff and marked as "kitchen stuff" and maf won't be interested in the slightest

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

They talk about marine mammals and parts of marine animals being prohibited. Don't know if that includes bone, but sounds like it could. There's no chance the bone could be whale bone, for example?.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

I suspect it's deer antler, because I've seen sets like that here. If the UK has a moratorium on marine mammal products, then I doubt it's from Flipper.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s