Thread: Did Your Belongings Get Damp or Damaged in Contain

Debd is offline Oh Masterful One

Default Did Your Belongings Get Damp or Damaged in Contain

Hello everybody,
    I read somewhere on this forum recently that there could be an issue with belongings becoming damp within the container from the sea voyage to NZ! Has anybody had this happen with their packed boxes etc?
    There was mention of using silica gel but it wasn't clear if this was necessary. Even in sealed-tight bags there seemed to be problems with condensation apparently!
    What really is the best way to protect your things with this in mind?
    Thankyou from Deb

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

I don?t think we?ve had reports of more than minor damage to container shipments on this forum, but I?ve heard odd reports elsewhere. ?Because of the long sea journey involved and the hot humid conditions the ship will pass through on its way to NZ, mildew/mould is the biggest concern (after whether the shippers will drop the container overboard, of course ? :o ;) ). ?You can get silica gel packs to put in with your items when packing which should help to absorb any moisture which is lurking nearby. ?They aren?t obligatory but are an added precaution. ?I don?t think it?s a regular occurrence to have mildew damage, but obviously it can occur in certain circumstances. ?For this reason it?s vital that goods being packed should be absolutely bone dry beforehand, cutting down the chance for mould spores to get a hold. ?A good shipping company should have some advice to give you and they should be quizzed about what precautions they take against this problem.

Perhaps you?ve already read this post from Selchie:
    I've heard recommendations to not seal up items in impermeable plastic because mildew is more likely to form. I've also heard that if you're getting a shipping container, that you inspect it from the inside. Close the doors, and look for light. Maybe even check the gaskets on the doors (if they have them). You'll want the container to be as watertight as possible, to keep more moisture from coming in on the long sea voyage.
    Several of our members decided to dispose of the worries of container shipping and travel lightly, having already disposed of their worldly goods in their home country before leaving for NZ.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Default Did Your Belongings Get Damp or Damaged in Container

Hi Deb,

If you have removers in, everything should be covered with plenty of paper and cardboard and then bubblewrap for the more fragile items. We didn't have any problem with dampness, but that was probably helped by the container looking airtight and the fact that it was not raining when the container was loaded.

We had one small table with a broken leg and a chipped bookcase, which insurance covered.

:icon_biggrin:
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

Debd is offline Oh Masterful One

Ah thankyou both for your useful replies. I'll take it all on board ;) !
    Deb