Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should we take our dog ?

stu75 is offline Junior Member

Default Should we take our dog ?

Having read a few threads on the positives and negatives on taking pets across to NZ I was hoping for some advice on our current predicament.

My wife and I are coming over to NZ around May \ June on a 23 month Working Holiday Visa. Depending on how we find things we will either come back home after that period or apply for residency when we are over there.

The dilemma we have is whether or not to take our dog over with us. Obviously for purely selfish reasons we would love to take him with us because, as any dog owner will tell you, he is now well and truly part of our family. To leave him behind would be heartbreaking.

The concern we have is that it would not be fair of us to potentially put him through 2 stressful air journeys within a 23 month period. Had we been sure we were to emigrate indefinitely we would not hesitate in taking him. To add to this the financial implications of 2 lots of export fees would be substantial.

Any advice \ thoughts would be greatly appreciated as we really are struggling to come to a decision.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Stu,

Sorry to hear you're having such a dilemma deciding about your dog. How old is he? Obviously the older the dog, the more problematic the journey might be, but I've heard of many dogs that have made the trip without any ill effects at all and have thoroughly taken to their new life in NZ. The most important thing, if you did decide to take him, would be to research a good animal exporter like Golden Arrow, so you know your pet is in good hands from the start.

As to whether it's worth taking him because you aren't sure you?ll be staying after the 23 months, I don't think anyone could give a firm yes or no on that. Whether he could stand a second journey (and there'd be a fair bit of time in between going to NZ and returning to the UK) is only one factor, as you mention yourself about the huge cost of shipping him back again.

As one possible solution, is there anyone you know and trust enough to take care of him for, say, a few months while you go down to NZ and try to get a feel about whether you'd want to settle there? You could even board him in kennels if the cost wasn?t too prohibitive. If you settled well, you could have him shipped over to join you then, by which time you will have found somewhere to live where he could feel at home. Another issue would be that many rentals won't accept dogs and it may take some time for you to find one that does. I'm assuming you would rent rather than buy initially, as you aren't sure you'll be staying. In your place I think I?d hang back on sending him down until you are more settled in your own minds, which may only take a month or so and once you?re happy you want to stay, call for him to be shipped down then. The only problem that would arise is if you found you weren?t that happy in NZ and once your 23 months is up, you intended returning to the UK anyway, so the arrangement with the dog would have to cover all eventualities.

A difficult one and one that many others have had to face, so you aren?t alone. Wish you luck in your decision.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

stu75 is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the reply Mother Bear.

Our dog, Fergus, is just over 1yr old so he'd have as good a chance as any dog in getting over without any health issues. To add to that with him being so young if we were to re-home him I'm sure he'd happily adjust to living with a new family.

I had thought about asking family to look after him until we had moved over and formed an opinion on how long we were likely to stay in New Zealand but, to be honest, with Fergus being a boxer he really does take a lot of time and effort so I'm not sure it would be fair of us to ask.

The rental situation is another consideration for us as it appears that there are only a handful of properties willing to allow pets. Then again we'd find something I'm sure.

Oh well - it looks as though there will be a few sleepless nights ahead as we go through all of the options. Thanks again for the feedback and if anyone else has any views please feel free to share them.

Pulsarblu is offline God like figure

I have many good reviews about some airlines which are getting more pet friendly. I have a colleague who is based in US who is returning to UK this summer and he is very sure to bring along his 5 year old golden retriever.

So since your dog is only 1 year old, it should not be a problem but that is my opinion only.

The only thing you have to watch is getting the papers ready like vaccinations and etc..

Hope you will decide well.

pulsarblu

jadet is offline Junior Member

I've heard it can be much harder to find a rental if you have a dog (much like in the US). So leaving him with family until you have decided to stay and purchased a house/found a rental that you like and will take dogs might be worth looking into.

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Hi there,

Just thought I'd let you know that in the end we adopted Fergus out. He's now with a nice family, (profession footballer!!) and is having lots of fun.

It was very heartbreaking thing to decide but we thought it would be kinder for him. After hearing all the tests he'd need to get before we flew out I couldnt put him through that.

Missing him heaps but we know he's happy...

Blog Entries

It is very upsetting to hear of members having to be separated from their beloved pets but, at the end of the day, you know what?s best for him. Once you have it in your mind that he?s happy elsewhere, you can comfort yourself knowing that he?s going to be fine. He would, no doubt, have been OK travelling to NZ as well at his age, but it is a lot to put an animal through, not to speak of the vast expense. Plus, as Stu mentioned earlier, there could be a problem with finding a rental that would take him.

I hope you can now move forward, knowing that you?ve done what you feel is the right thing for Fergus.

Mother Bear

DawnMarron is offline Oh Masterful One

aahh! Couldn't leave my boy behind, the kids thoroughly adore him, he's ours through and through. We're gonna have to be without him for a while though as we're only going over on VV so can't bring him in until we've at least got a WV sorted. Don't know how long we'll have to be separated but his breeder said she will have him back at her kennels till we're sorted. He was her special puppy, Newfoundlands are supposed to be about 2lbs when they're born and Hugo was only 7ozs, so she bottle fed him and kept him by her side until he was old enough and well enough to come to us at 10 weeks. Now he's 9 months old and 11 stone, so I guess she gave him a pretty good start. We're gonna miss him so much when we leave him. [smiley=icon_frown.gif]

Blog Entries

Now he's 9 months old and 11 stone,
    [smiley=Swoon_2.gif] ? ?What a bruiser!

We're gonna miss him so much when we leave him.
    Ah, but the reunion will be soooo sweet and worth waiting for. ?Absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that. ? [smilie=Stupid_grin.gif]
    Mother Bear

johnty is offline Senior Member

yes we are in the same boat as you dawn ,the kids would rather leave me behind than our two labs.
    we think it will help with settleing in especialy with the kids,been getting a few quotes on moveing them and its very expensive

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast