Thread: Taking out paint & craft supplies from UK

Default Taking out paint & craft supplies from UK

Hi there,

Just read a few posts about how expensive paint is in New Zealand and how MAF may take dim view on shipping over our own.

I was wondering if anyone is into crafting and if so are arts and crafts supplies expensive? I make personalised wooden signs (to sell to friends and on ebay)

I generally use tester pots (loads of em!!) and I buy a lot of fimo modelling clay too.

Any comments greatly appreciated!
    Carolynne

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Carolynne,

I’m a crafter too. I intended stocking up on supplies when I was on holiday in NZ, but apart from one short visit to a nice little craft shop, I didn’t get round to buying anything much I’m afraid. Having just bought a house I felt I’d better spend the money on that rather than craft items.

I don’t know whether Bunnings DIY centres (like the UK B&Q) stock the little test pots – they have a great selection of paints and I would think they might well have them. Wish I’d taken more notice when we were in there, but, at the time, we were tracking down some wood stain. The Warehouse has a craft section too and there are stores throughout NZ. I was sure I’d seen somewhere that Hobbycraft had stores in NZ, but I can’t bring that up on the Net. Something comes up but it ain’t what I was looking for. I was hoping to find at least one large outlet with branches throughout NZ, but haven’t come up with one so far.

Here’s a few sites to have a look at. I’ve tried to do a search for craft supply shops in NZ, but the rubbish it’s bringing up is beyond me. Anything to do with hobbies brings up model aircraft etc. and ‘craft’ can bring up a load of stuff that is, IMO, nothing to do with crafting at all (and irritates the hell out of me for wasting my time – aaargh! :head banger: ) but you’re OK if you want scrapbooking.

Craft Direct
    New Zealand Craft Shops
    New Zealand Craft Supplies
    Woodworks Ltd. Wholesale Wood Craft Supplies
    Fine Art Supplies Manufacturers of artist, craft, face paints, inks and dyes
    Zigzag - Fimo or polymer clay as they call it.

If you’re a glutton for punishment you could try a Google search under Craft Supplies, New Zealand and see what you can find on there. Good luck.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Wow, Mother Bear, what would this site do without you, you're a great source of information, thanks so much!!

Will probably ignore my huuuuge pile of ironing and let the kids run wild whilst I look at all the links you've given :icon_lol:

What sort of crafting do you do yourself?

Ps, just been on www.trademe.co.nz and they have quite a healthy selection of craft stuff there particularly if you're into scrapbooking!

Thanks again
    Carolynne

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hope there’s something on those sites to interest you, but I found it very difficult to find straightforward craft supply shops. The links I was given looked very promising, but generally lead up a blind alley, which was very frustrating. I forgot to mention Trademe as a possible site as they cover all sorts on there. I don’t think MAF would be too interested in your craft items if you wanted to ship some to NZ, especially if they were still sealed (paints) and not likely to leak all over the place. They would need to see any wooden items though as wood is on their list as a possible carrier of nasty beasties. Things like fir cones, decorative seeds and pods, rafia etc. aren't allowed in case of little greeblies hiding away inside them or, in the case of seeds and pods, there could be something that might just fall to the ground and germinate, causing havoc amongst the plant life in NZ. I made a nice hanging rafia plait which is covered in seeds, dried beans, pods and all sorts but I wouldn't be able to take that in, I'm sure :icon_frown: .

Here’s a link to a previous post in the Photos ‘n’ Things category that shows some pics of a few things I’ve made. Basically I make greetings cards, glass painting, have dabbled in silk painting and made a few things for the house. I don’t know about you, but I find that craft items have really gone up in popularity and, therefore, price in the last few years. Making things isn’t necessarily a cheap way to go these days sadly. I used to do it for charity, but it was getting out of hand.

Here’s another link to Selchie’s craft work as well (top and near the bottom of the thread). Can’t leave her out, as she’s very good. If you've got any photos of your crafty items, please feel free to post them in the Photos category (instructions at the top if you haven't done this before).

Talking of ironing... you've just reminded me
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Wow, you and Selchie are talented ladies!!!

:icon_redface: Don't think my wee hobby compares to you two but I've posted on my pics, cheers for your advice, have had a peek at yellow pages and there are a couple of craft supply shops in Tauranga..........who knows, maybe when we get over I'll open up my own craft shop/coffee shop!!

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

I plan on stockpiling and bringing my art & craft supplies. I figure if MAF wants to tax me for the new stuff, they can. One thing you could do is buy new stock, and save the receipts. There's something in the MAF rules about owning something for 6 months or more, to avoid the GST. Mostly I think they don't want people importing for sale, which having loads of the stuff could resemble.

Your crafts are quite charming, too, FingersCrossed. Mayhaps you can find a new cientele in NZ.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

:006:

Cheers for that Selchie, your stuff is fab, you're a talented lady!

Thanks for the advice there, think I will stock up on paints etc before we go, the wood is simply recycled offcuts that my hubbie (a carpenter) doesn't need so I guess I will use NZ wood in view of what Mother Bear was saying.

Got any more pics of your artwork?

Carolynne

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

I've got a bit, but don't have it posted anywhere. I'd have to go check what it was I've already posted on this site. Lately I haven't done any painting (except the house), but recently committed to a show of digital art, so I had to pull that together. Perhaps I could post the show here, or figure out how to get space on one of those "post your photos for free" sites.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s