Thread: UK Driving Licence/Obtaining Credit

deidra is offline Junior Member

Default UK Driving Licence/Obtaining Credit

Hello - I am making the big move to NZ next month, and I just wondering if my UK Driving Licence will be valid out there? If so, for how long?

Also - I do have a bank a/c over there but wondered how easy it is to obtain credit, eg a credit card or perhaps in time a home loan. What info would I need to bring?

Many thanks :icon_biggrin:

ag28com is offline Member

Hi deidra

Welcome to the forum.

In answer to your question, your UK Driving Licence is adequate ID for most purposes. You can drive in NZ for a maximum of a year, by which time you must get an NZ licence. This is usually just a case of passing the NZ Theory Test to get your licence.

As far as obtaining a home loan, it can be done as we are applying right now, having been in Auckland just under 4 weeks.

We are using the services of a mortgage broker here, and will let you know how things all go. My wife has a job at a hospital here and I start a job tomorrow (three month probationary training/probationary period).

I think if you get a good broker who has dealt with migrants, they will put you in the best light they can. Apparently the banks are fairly keen to lend at the moment.........

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Good luck with the job Ag28com. Hope it goes well for you (and your wife's job as well). Should put you on a good footing for a great life down there.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

moggy is offline God like figure

You can use you UK license, however it would be worth your while to sit your theory test asap and change your license to a kiwi one. Car insurance is a lot higher if you don't have a kiwi licence. Apparently it is easy enough to pass the test, just read up the road code, which you can do online anyway

Daisyspop is offline Senior Member

Absolutely agree with the idea of using an agent to do the credit/mortgage work for you. I can recommend Think Finance which is the company we used. They know the ropes and work efficiently. Best of all they charge a flat rate of $zero. Make sure you bring a record of your mortgage payments - speeds the process up no end. If you want car insurance bring proof of no claims. More gtood new for drivers changing to NZ license: no carry over of points. They don'y want to know.

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

There's no carry over of credit history either. If you have an appauling record in your home country record, you can get all the finance you want here (income permitting), and the same for people with squeeky clean credit files.

It's certainly a fresh start!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Daisyspop is offline Senior Member

You can use you UK license, however it would be worth your while to sit your theory test asap and change your license to a kiwi one. Car insurance is a lot higher if you don't have a kiwi licence.
    Absolutely - we just discovered that we have an additional $500 excess in place until we have held an NZ license for 12 clear months. So don't delay on the changeover - the test is easy.

moose is offline Senior Member

YEAH, SOUNDS LIKE S GOOD IDEA TO START SQUATTING FOR TEST BEFORE WE COME OVER SO I CAN TAKE IT A.S.A.P

DON'T WANT TO BE PAYING HIGHER RATE FOR TOO LONG DO WE.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

YEAH, SOUNDS LIKE S GOOD IDEA TO START SQUATTING FOR TEST BEFORE WE COME OVER SO I CAN TAKE IT A.S.A.P
    Yes, by all means you can do some squatting if you feel it'll help with your swatting.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.