Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Junk Mail - Junk Mail - Junk Bl%&dy Mail!!!!

NickampJacky Guest

Default Junk Mail - Junk Mail - Junk Bl%&dy Mail!!!!

It's only when you sit back and have a look at things here in the UK with a view to "ending" your life here that some things jump up and smack you in the face. At the moment for us - its JUNK MAIL & mailing lists.

We have started logging mail received from mailing lists and sending letters back asking to be removed from the mailing lists. We stated this at the strart of the year and have mailed off 35 letters so far. When it comes with your normal post in dribs and drabs you dont notice it - but pile it up for a month & wow what a heap.

Last night we sat and looked through what we had got............between the two of us we have been offered in excess of ?125,000 in loans...all "guarenteed acceptance"! Two insurance companies have tried to insure our car six times each.And when we are old enough to need stairlifts, then we know where to go. Matalan must think we have 6 kids - because they have sent us enough catalogues for one each!

We now have so many "Lakeland Plastics" catalogues that we have looked through the catalogues to see if the sell catalogue storage boxes.

The funny thing is though i cant seem to remember my wife sending Next Debenhams a copy of the letter.........mmmmmmmm.

What has raised anyone elses eyebrows about leaving the UK (or anywhere else I guess).......i.e. things you didnt realise until your leaving kind of stuff?

Cheers

Nick

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Junk Mail - Junk Mail - Junk Bl%&*y Mail!!!!

.... and have mailed off 35 letters so far.
    Sounds like a plan to me, instigated by the Royal Mail. Brings in a lot of extra revenue for them by the sound of it.

Ah, the bliss of living away from the UK - we rarely get any junk mail at all, apart from the supermarket flyers that get stuffed through our gate from time to time.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Pulsarblu is offline God like figure

I am looking forward not to remove too many junk mails from my letterbox in NZ.... Removing too much now in Singapore on a DAILY basis...

I do not mind the occasion flyer from the supermarket which can be beneficial to save but there is a limit... and it gets too much if they just pour through.. [smiley=icon_frown.gif] Snail mail SPAM.

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Err....... hate to burst your bubbles, but we get bundles of flyers each week here. They come from supermarkets, bookshops, electrical shops, the Warehouse, all the estate agent listings, takeaways, even shops 100kms away. Some have some useful coupons, but most join the papers in the recycling pile.

Must admit that we have not had any 'addressed' letters offering loans, Readers Digest, etc. But that could come with time.
    :icon_rolleyes:
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Here are some things you could try to reduce your junk mail, or at least eat into the junkmailers' profit margins:

1. If the catalogue has a toll-free number, call it and ask that they remove your name from their mailing list and to not share out you info with anyone else.

2. If an unwanted solicitation comes with a postage paid envelope, scrawl NO in big red letters (color optional) on the piece with your name on it, and mail all of it back to them. Add more refuse to the envelope, if it will fit. Tearing the papers into bits is also optional.

Although we occasionally get hit with junk mail, it had been drastically reduced since we have practiced the above.

In the States, the Postal Service has reduced rates for bulk (mostly junk) mail. It irks me when they raise my first-class rates, but not bulk mail. And they wonder why people turn to email and internet bill-paying!
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

hatter5 is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

This site may be of interest -

http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/mpsr/

It should slow the tide of recycling materials when subscribed. Also -

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/

The golden rule is to not divulge any information to tele-marketing caller who are "conducting a survey" as they can sell the information on and more mail will arrive. E.G. Are you the homeowner? What are your earnings? How old are you? etc. Social Engineering works as the calls are well scripted.

Tick the box - No marketing contact - when you subscribe or buy any products or services as you have seen the unsubscribe option only seems to work with email generated junk (excluding spam - never reply to that or you'll get even more - Your email address will be forwarded to all and added to a "suckers" list).

moggy is offline God like figure

When it comes to telesales people, I have very little patience with them these days; the phone is usually answered with "whatever you are selling I am not interested" and I hang up

nattydread is offline God like figure

what do you intend to do about the mail you do want to get?

Does the Royal Mail do a redirection service to NZ?

moggy is offline God like figure

Yes they do
    http://www.postoffice.co.uk/portal/p...diaId=19100252

Note is is also a cheap way for people to send you parcels. They send it to you old address, then the postoffice forwards it on at no extra charge, so people sending stuff to you only have to UK postage instead of overseas

NickampJacky Guest

Nice one about the parcel tips Moggy!

Do you think that Royal Mail would realise if we tried to Mail our Sofa back to ourselves & get it re-directed to NZ?

Heres one for you about tele-sales.........

My wifes Grandad lives alone, age 84, in a BUNGALOW. He got a call from a STAIRLIFT company - used to be endorsed by Thora Hird. Unable to get a word in edge-ways and say "NO" they arranged for the rep to come round and carry out a survey.

After two minutes in the house the Rep realised he was in a Bungalow, and promptly said his goodbyes.

The old fella was in stitches telling us about it last week.

Cheers

Nick

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast