Thread: citizenship

PipA is offline Junior Member

Default citizenship

New to Forum. Just come back from fantastic time at family reunion in NZ. I was born in NZ, and as a child moved to Australia, became Oz citizen and lost NZ citizenship. How do I go about getting NZ citizenship back again?

Pulsarblu is offline God like figure

Default citizenship

Hi Pipa,

First of all, welcome to the forum!! WELCOME!!

NZ will sure to welcome you back if you can produce your birth certificates. Check with NZIS and they can provide more information.

In fact as you know, NZ government are trying to lure their "lost" folks back home.

pulsarblu

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Default citizenship

Hi Pipa,

You never lose your citizenship, you will have duel citizenship with Australia. As pulsarblu says, if you can get your NZ birth certificate, you'll be entitled to an NZ passport.

All the best :icon_biggrin:
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

PipA is offline Junior Member

Default citizenship

thanks for getting back to me.

That's good news, I thought that I renounced my citizenship way back in the 1980s. The Aust Govt have indicated that unless we Kiwis took out Oz citizenship post April 2002, we wouldn't be dual citizens.

Yes, I have a full birth certificate. I don't need to fill out any forms, or do anything in order to apply for jobs in NZ? I suppose we would need to be living in the country for starters?

On a separate note, where does my Australian born husband and children (7 and 11) stand? Will they need to complete forms for residency or citizenship? What does my husband need to do in order to work in NZ? He would be classed as a "skilled migrant", as he is a Geologist.

Pipa

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Default citizenship

With or without NZ citizenship, Australian citizens can live in New Zealand permanently without any need for any kind of permit.

Basically, pack your bags and get going!!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.