Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flight Advice

ag28com is offline Member

Default Flight Advice

We are flying out to Auckland next Tuesday and wondered whether anyone had any advice on enduring the journey.

NickampJacky Guest

Default Flight Advice

Dont clock watch, just sleep when you feel like it....that worker for us.

Who with & which way are you flying?

Nick

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Default Flight Advice

We are all different and find different ways of dealing with the flight. My husband refuses to eat anything and would spend most of his time sleeping, grumpy when awake. My daughter is the same. I thoroughly enjoy the journey, eat/drink, watch the films and play the video games! My three sons are the same, although one also refuses to eat the food.

It is important to drink plenty. Regular naps help too. Wear comfortable clothing (no tight jeans) and tops with long sleeves as it can be chilly on planes. If you have kids, keep a spare set of clothes and a pack of wet wipes in your hand luggage - I've had one spill a drink over his clothes and another one with runaway diarrhoea. :icon_eek:

I really do think flight socks are a good idea, and taking an aspirin before flying can't do any real harm (and will get rid of the growing headache which comes with queuing and waiting for the flight).

HTH
    :icon_biggrin:
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

ag28com is offline Member

Default Flight Advice

We are flying with Emirates and going via Dubai. We did think of going via LAX, but this flight arrived at 6.05am, which we decided to avoid.

Default Flight Advice

[quote:252be12c05="ag28com"]We are flying with Emirates and going via Dubai. We did think of going via LAX, but this flight arrived at 6.05am, which we decided to avoid.[/quote:252be12c05]

Used Emirates a couple of times and you will be fine. :icon_biggrin: Great entertainment from personal video screens, you will even be able to watch the take-off and landing (channels 17 and 18). Drinks are free (except champagne) and service good.

Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005

driver is offline Member

Default Flight Advice

do you get many goodies from Emirates such as the flight socks?
    Even if you are going one way.

nattydread is offline God like figure

Default Flight Advice

i'm no expert but from my limited knowledge those flight socks you can buy in airports and that some airlines are as much use as a chocolate teapot.

The way they work is based on a level of mercury in the socks and these have a minimal amount of mercury in them..

Your as well shaking your arse out the window.

If you want to avoid a dvt, make sure you get up and walk around fairly regularly.
    as i said, i could be wrong..

Here's my plan to avoid/minimise jet lag.
    at the airport, i will set my watch to NZ time.
    ie 1400 here, 0300 there.. so I will "try" and gran a few z's then..
    when it's nz morning , I'll "get up" and carry on like...
    this means , my jet lag will kick in on the flight, but I won't notice it as much.

Then when we arrive, I'll be dinky doo..

Default Flight Advice

[quote:e3f1700579="driver"]do you get many goodies from Emirates such as the flight socks?
    Even if you are going one way.[/quote:e3f1700579]

Unless things have recently changed, it is Singapore Airlines that give out free flight socks, but they do not have the strength of socks bought from, say, Boots. Emirates did until recently give out free 'travel pouches' which include comb, toothbrush and paste. Kids also got a leaflet with stickers to attach and a cuddly toy for the younger ones.

Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Default Flight Advice

[quote:20701c2ce9="ag28com"]We are flying with Emirates and going via Dubai. We did think of going via LAX, but this flight arrived at 6.05am, which we decided to avoid.[/quote:20701c2ce9]
    Actually, arriving early in the AM isn't so bad, unless your hotel won't let you check in early. We did it this way twice, got to the hotel a couple hours after landing, cleaned up and napped for a few hours, then relaxed the rest of the day. The airports are nice and quiet in the morning, an it's nice to see the city when it's waking up.

So are these flight socks supposed to massage your capillaries or something?
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

Default Flight Advice

[quote:63a57de118="selchie"]
    So are these flight socks supposed to massage your capillaries or something?[/quote:63a57de118]

For those who don't know, they work like surgical stockings used in hospitals to prevent blood clots. They are supposed to help prevent DVT (deep vein thrombosis). Not sure of the medical terms used to explain how they work, (could be like massaging your capilliaries :icon_wink: ) but I certainly noticed more comfort wearing them whilst flying.
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast