Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips for the LAX to AKL flight?

jamesthecarman is offline Oh Masterful One

Default Tips for the LAX to AKL flight?

Does anyone have any tips for the flight? Should I try to stay awake? Should I sleep as much as possible?

I'm leaving Wednesday morning (Thursday evening NZ time).

Cheers,
    James

Pulsarblu is offline God like figure

When you board the plane try to sleep as the destination time zone. In your flight plan, try to catch some hours of sleep. You will wake up fresher and really to go when you touch down. Although easier to say than done since economy seats are notorious uncomfortable for long haul flights.

I have been flying to US frequently from Singapore to US and the trick of sleeping and waking at the destination time zone while flying has worked for me. I do not need to adjust for so many days when I arrive.

Other tips:

Do not drink alcohol and caffeine drinks too much while flying, they will dehydrate you making you feel terrible. Drink plenty of fresh water instead. Also try to stay away from gassy drinks like coke, they will cause your stomach to bloat in the pressurized cabin although eating too much has the same bad effect too.

Walk around to improve blood circulation.

Do stretching exercise when you can to relieve sore body parts from seating too long.

And stay cheerful since you are arriving in NZ, Yippppeee!! Oh yeah, enjoy the summer and the sunshine while there can also great relieve jet lag!

Pulsarblu

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

We?ve been trying to work out what would be the best way to go sleep-wise. We have an hour, then we land in Pakistan, on to Bangkok for a 7-hour stop (with hotel) and then 13.5 hours on to Auckland. Might try to get a short nap in before we leave for the airport if everything?s under control here, just to freshen up, as we?re flying around midnight. Not much point nodding off if we?re landing in Pakistan soon after take-off. We have the use of an airport hotel room in Bangkok and don?t know whether to take advantage of that to try to get some quality sleep or to hold out for the natural night time. Somehow can?t see us managing to stay awake until then, no matter how hard we try. Unfortunately we?ve got 2 nights on the plane to contend with and both are in different time zones so it?s going to be very confusing. On second thoughts, seems easier just to sleep as much as we can throughout the flight (the token screaming child permitting ? there?s always one on board). Then, at least, we?ll have had SOME sleep.
    [img:577c7ba2ff]http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/muede/k015.gif[/img:577c7ba2ff]

We?ve also started taking a small dose of Aspirin (is this advertising? :icon_redface: ) to help with the DVT thing. Wondering whether to take some form of mild sleeping tablet as sleep time approaches, to help us to adjust to the new timings, but can?t make up my mind about that. Have asked the doc and various pharmacies, but they don?t have anything suitable in the way of jet lag remedies. Will try to get something in NZ (being so far away from everything they should be well equipped).
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

You are right Mother Bear, with this confusing travel itinerary with multiple transfers it is better to catch sleep as much as you can and then adjust when you arrive in NZ.

jamesthecarman is offline Oh Masterful One

Thanks Pulsarblu!

I can't remember how long it took me to catch up when I arrived last year, but I felt pretty out of it for a while.

Now I'm getting there on a Friday, and start back at work on Monday......woo hoo!! So I'm thinking a good plan of attack could be useful.

:icon_eek:

The last few nights I've been staying up late. It's now 3am here, which is 9pm NZ. I think I'll continue to go to bed later, to try and get more "normal".

The flight is 5pm NZ to 6am NZ - which includes some great sleeping hours.....but that's kind of a bad thing too, as when I'm sleeping I can't do those excercises to circulate my blood flow in my extremeties. I talk in my sleep sometimes, but something tells me that won't do much good. :icon_cool:

[quote:7df6f14ecd="jamesthecarman"]I talk in my sleep sometimes, but something tells me that won't do much good. :icon_cool:[/quote:7df6f14ecd]

Haha! Better not something like ".....New Zealand is just a land of sheep and nothing else.." j/k

pulsarblu

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Oi that could be our kid tokenly screaming, us parents do our best you know grrr.

We have this cool leap pad that's like an interactive book thingy for Rupert for the journey. I told Claire it would ignore the sh1t out of the other passenger but she's just like 'we can turn it down, it will be fine'. I dunno, at least some of us think about the other travellers :icon_mrgreen:

I've never suffered from Jet Lag as my cure is 'mash up my sleep pattern as much as possible prior to going' which I do on most weekends anyway. My Bodies used to adjusting therefore.

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

How many bodies do you have then Stevey? :icon_eek:

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Oh my word....you pedantic old watsit!!!! You're pulling me up on an apostrophe error...crumbs.

For the benefit of the forum and indeed the WORLD SteveyC sincerely apologises as he did in fact mean Body's rather than Bodies *hangs head in shame*

You've started something now damn you....

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

See, now I'm wondering why you deem your body so important as to start with a capital letter - 'My Body's.....' as opposed to 'My body's.....'...... ](*,)

Think I'll rename myself Mrs Pedantic Site Admin :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen:

*hands thread back to James*..............

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast