Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electrical Appliance Compatability

ag28com is offline Member

Default Electrical Appliance Compatability

Are UK items like diswashers and washing machines compatible with NZ domestic water supplies? Can they simply be connected to the same type of fittings that we have in the UK?

Most of our appliances are quite old, and we were thinking of buying new in the UK and shipping it out as it seems that white goods are very expensive in NZ

I presume we could also bring over a electric cooker, fridge/freezer and microwave, and simply connect these to the existing electrical points with NZ mains socket adapters?

Do people think it is worth buying new to ship out, and what are your experiences?

boorer is offline Member

I thought white goods were expensive, too, when I was there in the summer. Husband is planning to either convert plugs or to make up extension sockets with NZ plugs and UK sockets!
    I'd do a comparison of prices, and think about what else you are taking - we are convinced we've got a container full of stuff ( so a fridge more or less won't make the diference! If you just have minimal stuff, I would think you'd have to consider the shipping cost - which would make the NZ goods a bit cheaper!

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

We did not bring our washing machine, dishwasher, fridge/freezers over because they were quite old.

There is something to consider if buying new and bringing over - your household effects are supposed to be used and at least 12 months old. If you shrug that regulation off :icon_wink: you should also consider that parts may be difficult to get in NZ for some UK makes.

I also recall a question mark over refrigerators/freezers over 3 years of age being too old for some reason ... :icon_confused:

There should be no problem connecting to NZ water pipework, though with some houses you may have to get a guy in to connect. Don't take gas cookers over though. Also no problem with electrical appliances either with an adaptor or changing the plug here.
    ::):
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

boorer is offline Member

Default Electrical Appliance compatibility

I've got a new gas cooker, but got with it the conversion kit to turn it into a bottled gas one - I thought that would be OK. Any ideas, people?

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

I'm not bringing any. They are getting quite old now and cost and hassle of shipping vs excuse to go 'man shopping' mean I'm buying over there. The difference in cost will be minimal I'm sure even with extra expense.

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Default Re: Electrical Appliance compatibility

[quote:="boorer"]I've got a new gas cooker, but got with it the conversion kit to turn it into a bottled gas one - I thought that would be OK. Any ideas, people?[/quote]

Not an expert but it sounds OK. Most gas in NZ is bottled. I popped down to the local garage to get mine refilled (coughed a bit in the car, though ).

::):
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Gas ranges, too, eh? I've heard tell that NZ uses a propane/butane mix (or something) - true? Not sure what sorts of adaptations would be needed to convert our US "natural gas" range. I guess it's time to research appliance brands available in NZ. Phooey.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

boorer is offline Member

Default Electrical Appliance compatibility

My cooker came with different jets you screw in to all the burners that convert them to use the bottled stuff. I know it does work, cos when my school moved we went "out in the sticks" and all our kitchen stuff had to be converted in the same way.

ag28com is offline Member

Why are household effects are supposed to be used and at least 12 months old? Is this a ploy to make you buy new in NZ rather than at home and ship the new stuff over?

Can you rent items like dishwshers and washing machines in NZ like you can in the UK?

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

It could be to stop people importing new (and cheaper) goods and then selling them on for a profit. If you?re importing used goods, you wouldn?t be so likely to get a big profit on selling them, as you would if they were new. I may be wrong, but it makes sense.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast