Thread: This is how THEY did it.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default This is how THEY did it.

Just a few of the stories, looking back in time to the days when travel to NZ wasn?t quite as easy as it is today. No more grumbling about numb bums and jet lag.

http://www.teara.govt.nz/NewZealande...VoyageOut/4/en
    http://www.teara.govt.nz/NewZealande...VoyageOut/5/en
    http://www.teara.govt.nz/NewZealande...VoyageOut/8/en

There are other stories for those who have the time and interest to read them, if you look on the left hand side. Could be a good read for the weekend or a dull evening on the box.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

I really wanted to take ferry down there. Or from the continent. A cruise to NZ would just be THE most delightful way of getting there. Alas there isn't a passenger ship that sales there anymore :icon_sad:

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Yes, I'd agree with that, despite suffering badly with motion sickness. It would be a good excuse to see a bit of the world, as you called in at the various ports along the way.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

nattydread is offline God like figure

the thing about it is..
    back then the difference between the UK and NZ probably wasn't as cavernous as it is now.

These days I'd be willing to put with those kind of conditions to get away from here, not sure if the same would be true back in those days..

i love reading those kind of stories..
    I firmly believe i was born 100 years too late.

I should have been around to join Scott in the Antartic, or Shackleton or whoever..

I'd love to go to the South Pole.
    Be a lot easier from NZ than here.

Maybe one day.. Who knows??

Scotland not cold, miserable and uninhabitable then? :icon_question:

nattydread is offline God like figure

you're obviously a regular visitor..

Actually I was comparing Edinburgh's climate with Invercargills yesterday and was staggered by how similar they are with the exception of rainfall.

It's sooo wet over there huh? I mean I knew it rained alot but compared to like 66mm on average the worse month in winter or spring in the UK. The figures are like 116mm regularly throughout autumn spring and winter. Irnocially tho, invercargill is drier than wellington and auckland. Crazy considering it's southernly position.

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Considering that much of the weather comes in from the west, it isn't too surprising that Auks and Welly get a bit more rain than Invercargill. But wait for an Antarctic express, and boy howdy! We tried to beach comb near I'gill (looking for garnets) when there was a cold, windy, wet storm happening. It was too much like winter at home, so we packed it in after a few minutes.

Great site, MB! It reminded me of an exhibit we saw at Te Papa in Welly about early immigrants.

Stevey, you could try booking passage on a freighter. I hear they aren't fancy like a cruise ship, but clean and decently appointed. They have to provide entertainment for the workers, so boredom shouldn't be a problem.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

do you know if it was just me, maybe I'd be up for that....and if it was dirt cheap, but with the kids it would have to be like, a grand less at least. I love the sea, going on the ferry used to excite me loads as a kid when we were visiting Ireland. Had some really rough crossings back then, very scary and cool.

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

If I weren't wanting to hang out at the kitty quarantine for a month, we'd consider it too. But it guts me to think of my babies being in a strange pace for a month without some comfort.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s