Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glenda/Containers

skybluearmy is offline Senior Member

Default Glenda/Containers

Hi Glenda,
    if you dont mind me asking how much was your container, who with and were they any good and any other info that you would find helpful :icon_question:

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Hi,

We had PSS, Allied Pickfords and Crown over last December to give their quotes. These ranged from GBP5000 to 6000 for a 40ft container, PSS being the cheapest and Allied Pickfords being the more expensive.

We chose Crown because hubby has some antiques and he liked the way the quote considered crates for the antiques, whilst PSS only thought the grandfather clock needed a crate. Another factor was that Crown have a branch in NZ and we liked the idea of being able to contact their Auckland branch. Also, at the time, there was some talk on the forums about the NZ Van Lines, the company which deals with a lot of other removal companies' containers in NZ - apparently they were overcharging for MAF inspection charges. Don't know if this is still the case, but at the time those overcharged could complain and get their money back with no problem.

Crown's quote was just short of GBP6,000 and we managed to negotiate a further reduction of GBP300 and free crates. We also negotiated a cut in the insurance cost to a percentage comparable with other companies, and storage price in NZ - which was just as well as NZ Crown wanted to charge us more.

Now I must impress on you that these quotes were given in December 2004. At the beginning of March (I think) shipping charges went up a lot, as much as 40%. Crown honoured their quote regardless. I don't know whether the others would have ... I did notice at the time the small print on PSS's quote which said they would pass on any shipping increases.

The service we had from Crown was OK. They put our stuff into their storage warehouse and successfully pleaded on our account with customs to prevent us paying GST as we are on visitors visas awaiting PR. I was a little surprised that they contracted out to a local company to deliver our stuff, but not surprised as it makes sense really considering the distance here from Auckland. They loaded up our stuff from the warehouse and took it to Whangarei one day, and the next locals delivered to us here.

From what I can gather, the main shipping companies are generally OK. The majority are happy with the service they get. Sometimes, one is unlucky and a few items are broken and there is one scary story a year back of a whole container load being covered in mould. If you are particularly worried about your possessions, I would make sure that you chose a company where a container is sent to your address and you can see the stuff going in rather than your furniture being taken away to the depot and then moved into the container. Don't be afraid to ask for crates for delicate items. I would also jump up and down about mould prevention methods if it is pouring of rain when the container is loaded and wet items are being packed.

One thing doesn't change - you will need plenty of coffee, tea, biscuits and probably a 'tip' or gift at the end. We got our chaps a bottle of whisky each and the container driver a bottle of wine. Surprisingly, our NZ counterparts preferred water and juice, though I did give them one coffee. They were ecstatic going home with a bag of oranges from our trees, which was just as well as I had nothing else handy.

Don't think that helps much with your choice - but I have given you our personal experience. :icon_biggrin:

::):
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

Thanks for that Glenda it was some good info.
    I subscribe to a paper calle "destination New Zealand" and there is a company advertising in there called Homepak and for a 20ft container its ?1510 & 40ft ?2510. That is collection from London & delivery to Auckland, so i guess there will be other charges on that price. I just wondered if you or anyone else had hear'd of them

Hi,
    Sorry, have not heard of them. I presume you have already done a 'search' on the other NZ forums without much success. Have you tried the Australian ones? Yes, I would have thought there would be other charges.
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005

Never been on the other Nz ones what are they :icon_question:

OMG ... put my foot in it now. :icon_eek:
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005

where are they, only for research purposes though taffy :icon_rolleyes:

Have sent you a PM. :icon_neutral:
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005

Thanks for that receipe Glenda :icon_wink:

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

:022:
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast