Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: moving pets

hannahgail001 is offline Junior Member

Default moving pets

Has anyone moved pets, particularly dogs, to NZ from the US? We are hoping to move there in the Fall of 2005 and all of the information about moving pets seems quite extensive. Also, with all of the microchip implanting, quarantine for 30 days, etc. it looks like it will be costly. Does anyone have any experience with this issue? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Default moving pets

Just a note about microchipping, because I have experience. If you go to the humane society, you may be able to get a microchip implanted & registered for $25. That's what I paid for my last cat 2 years ago. A vet will probably cost you more. Even if you don't immigrate, microchipping is a good idea in case you lose your pet somehow.
    I am dreading the ordeal of importing our cats more than moving my belongings. I wish we could put them into stasis for the trip & quarantine.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

saraian is offline Oh Masterful One

Default moving pets

I feel the same about our dog, Lizzie. She is really clingy with us and loves our girls, she sits in a morning waiting for them to come down in the mornings. So a little worried about the transition for her. :009:

moggy is offline God like figure

Default moving pets

personally, we will not be taking our pets with us. I would not subject any animal to such a long flight and quarentine, not to mention the expense.

being blunt, people like to think that they are so important to their pets that their pet would pine and die without them, when the truth is that as long as you get them a good home, after a couple of weeks they will be blissfully happy in their new home and will have forgotten about you.

Also be aware that when we were on holiday there, dogs seemed to be banned from most places, in particular most walking tracks had a no dogs sign on them, so that your dog may no have such a fun time over there if it is used to going for long walks

Default moving pets

Kids won't go without the dog! Simple as that. She is part of the family. If we own an acre of land, she'll be right! Dog won't pine and die without us, kids might though :icon_eek: icon_exclaim.gif

moggy is offline God like figure

Default moving pets

Kids won't go without the dog! Simple as that. She is part of the family. If we own an acre of land, she'll be right! Dog won't pine and die without us, kids might though
    try bribery, or failing that create a fictitious accident that it has to explain its sudden absence ;) ;D

Default moving pets

Now that's more cruel than taking her in the first place!

sweetpea is offline Junior Member

Default moving pets

I'm moving my dog with me in early December. It's very expensive, but worth it. With so much in life about to change, it's nice to have the same furry face looking up at you every morning and that same unconditional love.

Hook up with a pet exporter as soon as possible (9/11 regs make an exporter a requirement). Your dog needs a rabies shot and titer several months out, and the other requirements are complicated, but doable. There's a list of pet exporters at www.ipata.com.

To get an idea of cost: I'm paying about US$1750 for flight/USDA/exporter; US$1500 for quarrantine, US$1500 for vet costs/testing/documents. This is San Francisco to Christchurch, with a large dog (well, I never thought of him as large, more like short and stout, but he is 68 lbs).

netchicken is offline Senior Member

Default moving pets

Why not have them stuffed and mounted?
    That way you can take them everywhere and its far cheaper.

jamesthecarman is offline Oh Masterful One

Default moving pets

Or just put them in a soundproof (but breathable) box with food in it.

No one has to know

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast