Thread: Can I take fishing tackle and gardening equipment?

MarkE is offline Junior Member

Default Can I take fishing tackle and gardening equipment?

Hi All,

Mrs. E and I had a "reality" check when we went round the house deciding what to take with us, and things suddently seem real! I must admit, it did give me butterflies in my stomach- I presume that's normal!?

We've got a job offer- our final application has now been prioritised, medicals etc. all ok- so just waiting for the "Yay" or "Nay" from immigration whenever that may be...

So, please excuse the list here- but in our container, can I take?

1. Fishing rods and reel (if I cleaned them), should I leave tackle (lines, hooks, weights)
    2. Basic gardening equipment (shears, hoe, fork, spade etc -if cleaned). I will leave all my pots etc. (I'm a gardening nut btw)

I don't want any hassle at customs- hence, the questions.

Should we take our washing machine and fridge, or are they provided in rentals- Mrs E and I have heard varying reports on this and are bit confused.

Thanks for any advice!

Mark

nickydwuk is offline God like figure
    Blog Entries

Hi Mark - can't help with the fishing tackle but when we went we took all gardening equipment - including a shredder and most of our pots. OH cleaned them all thoroughly in Jeyes fluid and with the spades, forks etc... those that were old he painted them too (a suggestion from the packers). The shredder he cleaned as best he could but there were bits he struggled with. I contacted MAF before we left and they said that if they were concerned they would clean it themselves at a charge which I think was about $70. They never needed to clean it and everything passed through ok.

As we never rented can't help with the white goods but there are places in NZ where you can rent these items for a charge. When we first arrived we had a holiday home for a few weeks then moved into our own home before our container arrived. We rented a washing machine, TV and microwave all for about $45 a fortnight I think? It was a long while ago.
    Nursing Registration sent 5th August 2007
    Job Offer 25th September 2007
    Nursing Registration received 28th December 2007
    Submitted EOI 3rd January 2008 with 150 points
    Selected 17th January 2008
    ITA Received 31st January 2008
    ITA submitted 25th April 2008
    Approved in Principle 3rd May 2008
    Blue Stickers arrived 13th May 2008
    Flights booked for 19th Sept to Christchurch

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Congratulations on the job offer .

I don't think there's a problem with fishing tackle if it's cleaned. It's not mentioned here. Gardening equipment and items are subject to close inspection to make sure there's no mud, seeds etc. sticking to them but, if they are found to be clean they should be fine. This goes for outdoor shoes like football boots, gardening shoes, wellington boots and anything that comes into contact with soil and grass as well. As Nicky says, your pots could go if they are thoroughly cleaned.

There are a few companies who rent out furniture and appliances but some rental properties could have some of these available: cooker/fridge/washing machine/dishwasher. I guess it depends on what the landlord is willing to provide. Examples of household rental companies:
    Housepak
    DTR
    The Look
    Allo Allo

If you're having a container and have enough room for your own appliances and they are in good condition you might as well save yourself the cost of buying again in NZ. Just be prepared that, if they are still under guarantee, it may not be valid in NZ.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.