Thread: So many questions..

Calvin is offline Junior Member

Default So many questions..

I'm a 19 years old (American) college student who's looking for a new adventure in life. I've decided to look into moving to another country. New Zealand is on the top of my list of plausible destinations.

My questions:

-Getting a Visa...How difficult is it? Take into account that I want to live their for a while. The only skill I would even have that might not even be considered useful is that I'm a Native English Speaker (which I think is a primary language in New Zealand)

-Getting a Job....How difficult would this be? I don't have a college degree. I could come with around 1K-2K USD to find a place and job before I would run out of money. Is this possible?

Notice: I don't have any money, but am willing to save about 1-2k if I need to, to get there. If I could receive some sort of scholarship, I would even try to get a Student's Visa...

...If the answers to these questions are not the ones I'm hoping for then there is no need for me to continue asking, so I'll let these be answered first.
    Last edited by Calvin; 07-04-2011 at 11:22 AM.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Calvin and welcome.

Unfortunately, NZ is a very difficult country to get into and live long term. Residence is restricted mainly to those who have certain skills that the country is short of, those who wish to start up their own business and employ kiwis, those who have immediate family who can sponsor them (and they have a job offer to take up) and those who have a fair bit of money behind them that they can afford to invest for several years. Other than this, I really don't know how you could get to stay in NZ apart from having an ongoing relationship with a kiwi. For that you would need to prove it was a genuine and stable relationship and likely to endure.

To enter NZ on a short term visa you may be asked to prove that you can support yourself to the tune of a minimum of $NZ1000 per person per month. You could consider a Student Visa, but I think you would need to have an acceptance letter from an approved educational institution to be able to apply and I would imagine the fees would be high as you would be classed as a non-domestic student.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Cliff is offline Oh Masterful One
    Blog Entries

Cool

Very well stated MB. Calvin your chances are low at this point. You need to have a skill NZ needs. This is not a "I think I will move there and live country". There is a clearly defined immigration process that applies to all weather you are from the UK, USA, or India. Once accepted in you get full access to the countries social benefits such as free medical care and tertiary education. It is doubtful a USA University will give you a scholarship to foreign country or that a NZ university will give a scholarship to a non NZ resident.

Not trying to burst your bubble but tell you the cold hard facts. If you area really interested all the information you need to know is on this site and the Immigration NZ official site.
    Cheers

Cliff

Nelson, New Zealand
    NZ Citizenship in 2000, been in NZ 15 years now
    Arrived NZ in 1997 from Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

"New Zealand isn't just a physical place it is a state of mind."

1happywoman is offline Senior Member
    Kawakawa, NZ, formerly Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Blog Entries

You could come over on a Working Holiday Visa which would allow you to live and work here for a year. You have to meet the criteria for the visa, which includes proving you have enough money saved up to support yourself while you are here. (Check out the NZ immigration website for the details,; I'm afraid you are pretty short of the needed funds with just a thousand or two). Who knows - maybe you will find this just isn't the grand Utopian place you thought it was! At least you wouldn't be stuck here. There are quite a lot of adjustments to make when living here. (Learning to drive, for one thing!) If you do decide you like it, that might help you decide whether you want to learn a skill then move back here permanently. But at least you can get it together so you have a goal to work for. Just a thought.....
    Arrived in Auckland on August 6, 2008.Now live in Kawakawa with my kiwi partner.
    I just started working at Bay of Islands Hospital at the beginning of December 2009.
    Work permit renewed and good until June 2010
    EOI submitted and selected, case manager assigned and ITA received. PR application submitted 28/08/09
    approved in principle 26/01/10, PR granted and received 19/03/10

Calvin is offline Junior Member

I appreciate the feedback guys. NZ isn't the place for me it seems. Thanks.

applesandkiwis is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MotherBear View Post
    Hi Calvin and welcome.

Unfortunately, NZ is a very difficult country to get into and live long term. Residence is restricted mainly to those who have certain skills that the country is short of, those who wish to start up their own business and employ kiwis, those who have immediate family who can sponsor them (and they have a job offer to take up) and those who have a fair bit of money behind them that they can afford to invest for several years. Other than this, I really don't know how you could get to stay in NZ apart from having an ongoing relationship with a kiwi. For that you would need to prove it was a genuine and stable relationship and likely to endure.

To enter NZ on a short term visa you may be asked to prove that you can support yourself to the tune of a minimum of $NZ1000 per person per month. You could consider a Student Visa, but I think you would need to have an acceptance letter from an approved educational institution to be able to apply and I would imagine the fees would be high as you would be classed as a non-domestic student.
    '

couldn't of put it better myself. We are on the work to residence scheme as residency was too long a process and our visa was running out, but it has been a really difficult process.