Thread: Money people leave with?

thedans is offline Member

Default Money people leave with?

So my question is, How much money do people generally immigrate with? I am not looking for any specific number, but as My wife and I are just starting out here in USA (I just graduated ~2.5 years ago) we are not going to have millions of dollars as some people seem to have by the shipping prices they pay!!!

We do own a home right now, but we are upside down by a good $60,000. So when it comes time to sell it wont, but that's beside the point really.... We are looking at taking over minimal things, and just getting rid of everything else.

Here are a few scenario's we are looking at for the big move:

Scenario 1: We get accepted for a Resident visa, i believe we have 1 year to activate them before they expire. so in that year i find a job while still living in US, then move over and get everything prepped and have the family move over, and start living our modest little lives in NZ! YAY!!

Scenario 2: We get accepted for a Resident visa, I cannot find a Job while i am still in US, so i quit my current Job, and move over with family with say $6000USD. Does immigration require a certain amount of money to move over if you don't have a Job (or if they instead gave me a work to resident visa?) I thought i read something somewhere about having enough to support everyone for a certain amount of time.

obviously scenario 1 would be preferred, but i dont know how easy it will be for me to get a job, as i have only about 2.5 years experience.

So all in all, would any of this be crazy for us to attempt? I guess i just get nervous thinking if we do get accepted for a visa, but then when we move if i cant find a job, I am not sure what would happen, and i definitely do not want to move back.

Anyone offer advice, if you can understand any of it that is!!

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Scenario 1 is the way to go, but in the event Scenario 2 plays out and you get granted a WTR Visa, being on the ground in NZ will give you the best chance of securing a job as you can attend interviews etc. WTR has a lot more conditions in place - for the time you have to find work, the type of work you must find and the amount of pay you must receive for that work. $6000US is just over $8000NZ which would get you by for the length of time you'd have to find a job on a WTR. A good idea would be to research the area which has the most of your kind of work on offer. It may not be your ideal place, but sometimes you just have to do what it takes to get a foothold. You can always move on later!

Are you crazy? Anyone moving their entire lives must have a little crazy in them, else they would never do it. The better term for it, however, is adventurous!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy View Post
    Are you crazy? Anyone moving their entire lives must have a little crazy in them, else they would never do it. The better term for it, however, is adventurous!
    Hahaha.. thanks for that! it helps put things in perspective!

My field is Mechanical Engineering, and from what i can tell it's mainly Auckland. Which is not really where we want to be, but hey, still better than where we are! ;) I have seen a few in New Plymouth, which would be AWESOME! I guess we will have to approach it when the time comes.

I am hopefully going to complete my EOI in 4-6 weeks, whenever the kids passports get here, and then hopefully all goes well! I just get so excited thinking about the possibility of moving, it's hard to contain it sometimes.

Cliff is offline Oh Masterful One
    Blog Entries

Cool

thedans

What is your job? That will make big difference. Do you need or want to work in the bigger cities or are you wanting a smaller place in NZ. Depending on what you do may dictate your options.
    Cheers

Cliff

Nelson, New Zealand
    NZ Citizenship in 2000, been in NZ 15 years now
    Arrived NZ in 1997 from Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

"New Zealand isn't just a physical place it is a state of mind."

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

I've taken so long to finish compiling this reply that Taffy has beaten me to it, but I'll post it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by thedans View Post
    So my question is, How much money do people generally immigrate with?
    Well, the obvious answer to that is 'As much as possible' , but the practical answer is that, for people coming in on temporary visas, INZ recommends a minimum of NZ$1000 per person per month if you haven't got accommodation provided and, I think, $400 per month if you do i.e. if you were to stay with someone rent free. If you have a residency visa, I don't think there is a set limit, unlike other visa types. The $1000 per person is just a guideline in this case.

I don't know how easy it would be to find a job when still outside NZ. But that's not to say it can't happen. Many people find it easier when they are there and on a one to one with potential employers. Some employers may be wary of taking on someone who is still outside the country in case he/she decides not to make the move down after all and the employer is left with having to start over again looking for someone. It may depend on what type of job skills you have as to how easy it is to get a job from overseas or even when you're in the country. Have you started to look what's available in your field online? It will give you an idea of how easy or difficult it may be to find something.

Scenario 1 is fine (and a safer option) if you can get a job offer whilst outside NZ or even if you travel to NZ on your own to look for work. Scenario 2 involves the whole family moving and would possibly put a lot of pressure on you to find work a.s.a.p. If things didn't work out and you found you couldn't get a job, there would only be yourself to move back rather than the whole family. Just my take on it. On the other hand, if you're an adventurous lot, you could always launch yourselves at NZ and give it your best shot. You're young and resilient .

Oh, and now Cliff has squeezed in as well. Ah well, the more the merrier.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

That is true about scenario 2, which i am sure my wife and kids could stay with some of her family while i was about looking for work. I would just hope i find something quick, as it would be tough to be away from them for long! (i have three boys 4,2, and 11 mths).

Now if they gave me a WTR visa, and I only had enough to support myself in NZ, would they still let me come over by myself, even though my whole family is on the application. Or would i need to have enough money for all of them as well even if they stayed behind? I guess that's not a huge issue, but would be nice to know as we are finding it pretty expensive to uproot and move somewhere else!

And like i stated below (probably as you guys were typing) In being a Mechanical Engineer, I think i am somewhat tied to larger cities. We would love to be in smaller cities, as if I wanted to move to a big city, we could move to San Francisco (1 hr away) and it would be a heck of a lot cheaper!

I suppose even in the big cities though, you aren't far from being in some beautiful country, at least what i have seen!

Cliff is offline Oh Masterful One
    Blog Entries

Cool

thedans

I lived just up the hill in Reno for many years and know exactly where Modesto is off hwy 99. I used to commute to the bay area and silicon valley for work and know I-5 quite well. But enough of me.

Your airfare alone will be close to 5K for the family. The cheapest you can get right now is around $951 USD on Air Pacific, not sure about kids fares.

Job wise take as look on seek.co.nz to see what kind of ME jobs are available. There is no issue with you coming over first immigration wise and your family coming later. A lot of people do the same thing. Your best chance of success is for you to come over first and get settled then bring the family over. It will be harder on you but less stressful overall. You can sleep in a tent but you don't want that for your family I'm sure. Remember the seasons are reversed so be aware if you come over during our winter.

You need take all I am saying with a grain of salt. Only you know what is right for you. This forum is a great place for knowledge. Learn all you can about everything. What is right for you will become clear.
    Cheers

Cliff

Nelson, New Zealand
    NZ Citizenship in 2000, been in NZ 15 years now
    Arrived NZ in 1997 from Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

"New Zealand isn't just a physical place it is a state of mind."