Thread: Joining the 'Ping Pong Poms' ?

nickydwuk is offline God like figure
    Blog Entries

Default Joining the 'Ping Pong Poms' ?

We returned from NZ almost 2 years ago having spent almost a year there. However no matter how hard we try we can not get NZ out of our system. Our main reasons for returning were family and 'englishness'. The material things we missed about UK we now have but find we miss some of the things from NZ. As for family - it is not what we thought or wanted it to be. Our ageing parents are ok and would have been ok without us. Our siblings have never been close and nothing has changed. Our older son is now more settled and would be able to take our move back much better now.

We have spent a lot of time talking about NZ and what we miss and wish we had done and we have come to the conclusion that nothing is for ever and that we are more than likely to join that growing club of ping pong poms sometime in the next 10 years (that is how long we have left before we are too old). Although things do change and if we get really settled, become grandparents etc... in that time then we will have to re think our plans. We also have to consider the financial implications - emmigrating is not cheap and we want to be on a better financial footing than we are at present before we make the final decision - although if we win the lottery tomorrow it wil be 1st class seats out ASAP

What we do know is that if we do return we have more knowledge about what to do, where to get help and will not make any of the mistakes we made when we first came over. We will also know what to expect and will be willing to make compromises which we did not do last time.

So to the future and maybe see you all in the next few years
    Nursing Registration sent 5th August 2007
    Job Offer 25th September 2007
    Nursing Registration received 28th December 2007
    Submitted EOI 3rd January 2008 with 150 points
    Selected 17th January 2008
    ITA Received 31st January 2008
    ITA submitted 25th April 2008
    Approved in Principle 3rd May 2008
    Blue Stickers arrived 13th May 2008
    Flights booked for 19th Sept to Christchurch

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Wow, Nicky! You make it sound like it can really happen. Yay!

I've known for a while that you kind of regretted leaving NZ, but thought it would pass as you picked up your life in the UK again, although you never really did cut your connection with it. I wouldn't like to say how many other people I've read about over the years who feel the same way as you do. Going back to their home country seemed to be the right thing to do at the time but, once they were there, they found it wasn't quite as they remembered it and longed to return to Godzone. You've lived in NZ for a while and then returned to the UK to live for a while, so you should now be in a better position to decide where it is that you would really like to settle down. Shame you didn't stay in NZ long enough to get your Indefinite RRVs (or permanent residency as it's now called) in your passports so you wouldn't need to go through all the hassle of applying again.

If you need any assistance with your new residency application, you know where we are.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

nickydwuk is offline God like figure
    Blog Entries

It is a shame we never got our IRRV but at least we know the pit falls with the immigration process. We won't be making the move for a few years yet - if at all - depends on some things here but there is an 80% chance we will return. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. The good thing now is that we both feel the same - none of the angst before where one was not as committed as the other. So all is good. We will try to make a go of things here but at least we know we have other options.
    Nursing Registration sent 5th August 2007
    Job Offer 25th September 2007
    Nursing Registration received 28th December 2007
    Submitted EOI 3rd January 2008 with 150 points
    Selected 17th January 2008
    ITA Received 31st January 2008
    ITA submitted 25th April 2008
    Approved in Principle 3rd May 2008
    Blue Stickers arrived 13th May 2008
    Flights booked for 19th Sept to Christchurch

snapaenz is offline Junior Member

Default Joining the Ping Pom Poms

He there, such a shame that you only gave NZ a year. Really this is not enough time at all for any country. I have at times felt really quite homesick, but thats where you need to be at your most certain that the move you did was the right thing. Daily life and work living in NZ is, I find generally the easy bit, hey gods own right? Then you go through a stage of getting homesick without knowing where it came from. I know loads of poms (I'm a pom myself) that have then decided to return to the UK, only to then realise that it was the worst mistake they made.

I think the scenario you may face is that before you know it you will be completely settled in the UK before too long and think "if only".... The longer you leave it, the less likely you are to return. I hope you get settled one way or another as there is nothing worse than being in a "half way house" so to speak - it will just stop you being able to enjoy life.

I now live in the Bay of Islands after spending some time down the line in Wellington. Suffice to say I bloody love the place! Anyway my partner and I are going back to the UK for a visit in September, so it will be interested to see how the place has changed after 3 years.....

Best of luck with everything,
    Snapa.