Thread: 3 Month Holiday in New Zealand - Jan to March 2011. Where to stay?

johndean50 is offline Junior Member

Question 3 Month Holiday in New Zealand - Jan to March 2011. Where to stay?

Hello,

My wife and I finally retire this year (2010) and plan to spend the first few months of 2011 in South Island New Zealand having visited on holiday in 2002. This left us with a determination to return for a longer stay and now with retirement looming there's nothing to hold us back.

i have provisionally been looking at Geraldine as we stayed there for one afternoon and thought it was lovely. We will consider any part of the south Island but would prefer this not to be in either a city centre or too isolated. We require a 3 bedroom dwelling (preferably not an apartment) on a 3 month let. Our enjoyment in the Uk is usually lake district/coastal/yorskhire dales type locations. A quite town with just enough going on, but a slower pace of life. (A library, a few shops and the all important pub/bar) The favourite places we visited on our whistle stop tour were Geraldine, Franz Josef, Queenstown, Timaru and Wanaka although this is not a strict criteria for our search. I have been browsing though previous threads and have seen Dunedin and Oamuru recommended which was useful and would gratefully receive any advice that anyone could contribute.

As i am new here feel free to introduce yourself.

John
    Last edited by johndean50; 22-02-2010 at 09:03 AM. Reason: spelling

nickydwuk is offline God like figure
    Blog Entries

We lived in Oxford - about 45 minutes out of Christchurch at the foot of the Alps. Village has supermarket, coffee shop, library, chemist, school, post office, police station and wonderful views. Population approx 1500. Highly recommended.
    Nursing Registration sent 5th August 2007
    Job Offer 25th September 2007
    Nursing Registration received 28th December 2007
    Submitted EOI 3rd January 2008 with 150 points
    Selected 17th January 2008
    ITA Received 31st January 2008
    ITA submitted 25th April 2008
    Approved in Principle 3rd May 2008
    Blue Stickers arrived 13th May 2008
    Flights booked for 19th Sept to Christchurch

Red face

Thanks Nickydwuk
    Will check Oxford out on the web

whale is offline Junior Member

Default Timaru & Geraldine

Hi,

We have lived between Timaru and Gerladine for 18 months now. We work in Timaru and visit Geraldine regularly. We love this area, climate is great with easy access to lakes/mountains (1 hour) and coast. My parents and in-laws (all retired) have visited recently and they loved Geraldine. As you note, it is big enough to service all you day-to-day needs yet pace of life is gentle. The kids are settled at school over here and seem very happy. If you would like any more information about the area then we would be happy to help. Good luck with the plans.

Red face

Thanks Whale

Can you recommend a good estate/letting agent who deals with property in the locality
    We have to be very careful, as whatever we eventually rent we will be stuck with for nearly 3 months
    Do you know whether we could stay for say the first week in a hotel and then view suitable property. Can a long term rental be arranged in such a short time ?
    Can we be a bit cheaky and ask you or anyone in the forum if you know whether we would be able to buy a small second hand car and sell it when we leave?

Have checked out Oxford and it is unfortunately too far North

Default House rental and car

Hi,
    The quality of rentals here is variable so I would definitely stay for a week or so in a motel or B&B while you look at houses. You could arrange viewings before you left UK to speed things up. Short term rentals are possible but not for all houses. I can recommend a guest house about 20 mins from Geraldine and 15 from Timaru if you are interested (we stayed there when we came over). Good houses don't stay available for very long so you can't book too far ahead. Seeing and moving in within a week is possible - you could give your details to agents in advance so they could get paperwork started. Most agents don't advertise rentals on websites as they change too quickly (LJHooker, Timaru is the exception) so you need to contact them directly nearer the time. I can suggest a couple of agents for Timaru. You might also look at holiday homes (baches) as some of these are available for longer term rental. Websites such as Bookabach - New Zealand holiday homes, baches and rental holiday accommodation or New Zealand Holiday Homes, NZ Holiday Home Accommodation Rentals, NZ Baches, book, bach might be worth a look.
    As for the car, buying and selling a car is always possible. If you talk to dealers they may well do a deal for a 3 month rental . I am happy to ask a dealer I know for guidance if that is any help.
    Good luck with the plans.

Talking

thanks a lot Whale
    My wife says that you must be very nice people to put that much work into your reply
    The info was much appreciated

I'll keep you and the forum updated with my enquiries

Default Not a problem

No problem. Lots of people were very good to us when we moved here and we are very happy to repay their kindness by offering to help others. We will not be offended if you choose to go elsewhere (but why would you)!!

Good luck