Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Three Weeks to go.....but where to?!!!!

mad ferret lady is offline Junior Member

Question Three Weeks to go.....but where to?!!!!

Well we only have THREE weeks left in the UK before the big move to NZ!! Only problem is, we are still undecided as to where to!!! This might sound very unprepared and it probably is but its what adventure is all about! We are really struggling with where to go, for the moment its only work for me that is important and I will do anything! We have been toying with North shore Devonport area but not too sure if thats going to be too much like living in Auckland which as a big city could be anywhere, we want to be in the real NZ if that makes any sense to anyone. We are also looking at Queenstown & Wanaka areas and Bay of islands as we have been to both and love and have heard good things about Napier but never been so are unsure!! Is there anyone out there who can tell us what its like to live, and where the best bits to live are, in any of the above????

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi MFL, welcome to MTZ .

Exciting times for you if you are off in only 3 weeks. Have you got your permanent residency already or are you hoping to apply for jobs and get work permits?

The usual thing with deciding where to settle in NZ is that the job dictates this. I assume you haven't got jobs to go to? If not, your plans really need to be flexible because, when a job comes along, you obviously need to be where the job is. How do you intend looking for work? Would you hire a campervan and trundle around from town to town looking for work or would you get a static base set up and apply for jobs from there? Depending on the type of work you're looking for, the big cities might be the best option to begin with. You wouldn't necessarily have to live in the city and could commute in from the countryside, as others do.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

We already have our permanent residents visas and like I said its location not job that I am looking for. I would like nice weather although not bothered about a cold winter, water views, mountain views and a character style property but most importantly in a good area. Can anyone tell me what its like to live in Queenstown/Wannaka and where the best bits are?

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mad ferret lady View Post
    ..and like I said its location not job that I am looking for.
    I must have misunderstood as I thought you were job hunting going by your previous comment below.

..... for the moment its only work for me that is important and I will do anything!
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Richard7666 is offline Junior Member

Queenstown average house price is something like half a million dollars which is something to bear in mind. Wanaka is a little bit cheaper but still very expensive. Are you looking for a small town or a big city? Because Queenstown and Wanaka are nothing like Auckland's North Shore...

We want somewhere that is relatively small but not just a one horse town! Hence we are looking much more closely now at Queenstown rather than the north shore, i know they are both very different but we like both so its hard to decide each has plus and negatives! Queenstown so far is winning though for us which is why we would like any feedback from anyone who has or is living there! We are looking at Fernhill/sunshine bay at the mo, anyone any views on good or bad??

People Space is offline Senior Member

I have not lived there myself, so can't give any details, but Queenstown is renowned for being an expensive place for the locals to find accommodation, because the high numbers of tourists skew the prices upwards.
    This is a helpful website for looking at current rental rates:
    Market Rent - Department of Building and Housing

Richard7666 is offline Junior Member

We want somewhere that is relatively small but not just a one horse town! Hence we are looking much more closely now at Queenstown rather than the north shore, i know they are both very different but we like both so its hard to decide each has plus and negatives! Queenstown so far is winning though for us which is why we would like any feedback from anyone who has or is living there! We are looking at Fernhill/sunshine bay at the mo, anyone any views on good or bad??
    Well, Queenstown is really a small town (10k people) so bear that in mind. Definately not one-horse, but everyone knows everyone, put it that way. Of course, there is the big transient percentage of the population which gives it a bigger feel. For instance, it only has one public school.

As for living in Fernhill/Sunshine Bay (ironic name); horrible. Seriously, my uncle and aunty used to live there, it loses the sun really early, especially in the winter because of the mountains. It's depressing as hell.
    I'd suggest Kelvin Heights. It's further from the town centre, but lovely views, and nice and light =)

Brill advice thanks. We will avoid fernhill as someone else told me it has a big rental population with people who are not really bothered about looking after the houses or making loads of noise partying, which is not what we want. We are looking at arrowtown too as I think we want a small town feel so that we feel like part of the community not just tourists.

rasin is offline Member

Hi,
    We live in Wellington, Miramar and we love it here. Its near to the internal flight airport. We could see planes in the sky all day long from our large window. The beaches for wind surfing, all the sea sports are within 10 min drive. It's not crowded but with all the necessary shops and stuff. It takes only 10-15min drive to the Wellington City. The housing price here are at the middle to top range ($400 - $500 for a 3 brm).
    Arrived NZ on 15th Dec'08
    Obtained Partnership Work Permit on Mar'09
    EOI submitted on 14Jul'09 (NZ Wellington Central branch)
    ITA received on 10Sep'09
    ITA submitted on 24Nov'09
    PR received on 26Mar'10

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast