Thread: Moving to Wellington

peteyd33 is offline Junior Member

Default Moving to Wellington

Greetings!

There is a strong chance my wife and I will be relocating to Wellington, NZ next June. We were curious about housing costs and transportation (we won't be bringing a vehicle). Any information on the various neighborhoods of Wellington and what they have to offer would be appreciated. We plan on renting a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment.

What is the public transportation like? Any insights would be helpful! Thanks!.

People Space is offline Senior Member

Wellington is one of the better cities in New Zealand for public transport.
    (However, I would qualify that with none of them are great, partly because of population size and spread, and partly because we do have lots of cars... )

Apartment living is not common here. Most people live in separate houses, and in the inner area of Wellington, not far from the CBD there are a lot of older (and often colder) houses for rent and some apartments. Further out it is mainly houses.
    I would steer clear of any place that doesn't get sun, so check which side of the hills and valleys any place you are looking at is positioned.
    Greater Wellington includes the cities of Upper and Lower Hutt to the north and Porirua to the west, with train commuting possible without a car from all of these, depending on your distance from the stations. You may not of course be working in Wellington CBD...

Accommodation is relatively expensive in Wellington.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

A bit of background info on Wellie. You can click on the regions that make up Wellington under the map for further info or click any of the blue links.

If you click on one of the regions here it will bring up some examples of what's happening in that area.

A dragable map of Wellie showing the various suburbs.

Have you tried looking on real estate agents' websites for some idea of what housing is available and how much it costs?
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

peteyd33 is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the info. We have started to check out some real estate sites. We're going to have to do some more research but I think we are off to a good start. Thanks for all your help!

Cliff is offline Oh Masterful One
    Blog Entries

Smile

peteyd33

I lived in Wellington, New Zealand for 11 years in Paraparaumu about 60K north on the coast. Petrol is very expensive so a lot of people commute. The the train and buses are good but you need to close to a train station or be on hte bus route. No fun standing in the winter rain waiting for a bus but people do.

if you have a job try to find something close to work if you can. The wellington commute can be bad, real bad to the wrong area. Best scenario is rent something and spend some time learning the area. plan on you first place being temporary. Then you will know were you want to be. Once there friends or coworkers will tell you of places available. You can find a house to rent but apartments are not that common.

petrol is not cheap add parking to that and it can get expensive. Many people commute so employers are used to people on a schedule. There is the mass migration beginning about 4:30PM o eh bus station. I have done it so I know.

There are places in town but not cheap so I doubt you will find many options. much better off looking for a house to rent. If on the cheap you can even look for rooms to rent especially since it will be temporary until you acclimate. The poster said earlier look for a sunny place. This is true and a big deal. If you don't get a place with all day sun it will be damp and cold for sure in the winter plus higher power bills which is not cheap either. You will soon find out why they call it windy wellington. lol.

Take a look on tradme.co.nz for rentals or rooms to rent. You will get a good idea of whats out there but you have to see things in person to know for sure. The prices you will see are per week not per month.

In summary just find something cheap and close to work initially. You can relocate later after you get your bearings. At least you won't be moving in the winter but be aware of it. You get a cold place and you will freeze your but off and won't be able afford to heat it.

Hope that helps.
    Cheers

Cliff

Nelson, New Zealand
    NZ Citizenship in 2000, been in NZ 15 years now
    Arrived NZ in 1997 from Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

"New Zealand isn't just a physical place it is a state of mind."

danielle s is offline Junior Member

I suggest Hataitai. It's very close to town (easily walkable, buses take 5 minutes), very sunny, and you can have a pretty little house and live in a neighbourhood without feeling lost in suburbia. You could also look into purchasing or renting an apartment in town, or a house on Mount Victoria or alongside Kent Terrace. Miramar is nice if you plan on driving.

DiveGirl is offline Junior Member

Hi, I moved to Wellington from the UK in January and I love it! I think anyone's opinion will depend on what your circumstances were in the UK. I find public transport excellent here compared to where I lived before and relatively inexpensive but I do have a car as well as I brought my dog over from the UK and like to go out exploring! You can get by without a car but it would depend on what your lifestyle is like.

Have a look at realestate.co.nz to get an idea of rental costs. I found the best thing was to just drive round the different areas to see which one I liked best and which ticked most boxes as I wanted to be within 30 minutes of the CBD. There is a big variety of rentals here! I was really lucky and got my house via a private landlord who advertised in the paper and who agreed to let me have my dog here.

Good luck!

stanley is offline Member

Default Hi

Hi Divegirl,
    glad to see youngot to NZ safe and sound, we chatted on UK2NZ. We also got here in Jan, loving it too and just had an offer accepted on house so all looking positive.
    Think i was just signed in as Paula on other site.
    Take care. Paula.

DiveGirl is offline Junior Member

Hi Paula, good to hear all is going well! Fingers crossed for a speedy house sale!