Thread: Nelson - Industry and Demographic

trimprover is offline Member

Default Nelson - Industry and Demographic

What sort of people tend to live (and thrive) in Nelson? Artists? Retirees? Beach bums? Expats?

I'm guessing there aren't a lot of students, entrepreneurs, and adventure-sports types, since they would flock to the other cities. How about families with young kids? Older kids?

I'm sure there are all sorts of people in Nelson, as in every town, but what I'm wondering is the predominant "feel". Is it intellectual? Outdoorsy? Cultural? Artsy-fartsy? Touristy?

Maybe what helps is understanding what industries Nelson has. What wealth does it generate? What jobs are readily available? Or are jobs a secondary concern?

Is Nelson a tourist town in the same way that Breckinridge CO, Whistler BC, Las Vegas NV, and Key West FL are, where the only serious industry is tourism, and almost all of the jobs serve either the tourists or the people who serve the tourists?

Or are there other wealth-generating industries there in Nelson, which attract people not necessarily interested in tourism or luxuries?

What does Nelson export? (besides postcards)
    US citizen applying for Permanent Residence via Skilled Migrant Category

2008-12-16 Submitted EOI
    2009-01-17 EOI successful
    2009-02-03 Received ITA
    2009-04-07 Mailed application

kokopeli is offline God like figure

Quote Originally Posted by trimprover View Post
    What sort of people tend to live (and thrive) in Nelson? Artists? Retirees? Beach bums? Expats?

I'm wondering is the predominant "feel". Is it intellectual? Outdoorsy? Cultural? Artsy-fartsy? Touristy?

Until someone who lives in Nelson gives you the insiders view, my experience of Nelson says you'll find all of those. Before I'm struck down by the Nelsonistas, I'd like to go on record and say that I quite like to go to there for a weekend every now and then.

The main street is interesting in a faux-Las Ramblas in Barcelona sort of way.

The beaches are nice, although the waves are usually too small to surf. Great roads for biking though, and there are some very good wineries.

I've been up there at different times of year, but always think that it's v. busy in summer and v. quiet in winter.

I wouldn't want to live there because (IMHO) it's:

A. remote
    B. small

For me, A + B = limited opportunities for work and too few options for the kids.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Failing all else, here's some background info on Nelson and a bit more..

We could really do with Nick of Nick&Jacky on here as they seem to have settled very well in Nelson.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

trimprover is offline Member

Thanks! I like the panorama shots of Nelson, Dunedin, and Queenstown on wikipedia! When I zoom them really big, it almost gives me a "being there" feel. I see that Nelson and Dunedin have lots of hills, and Queenstown is just plain amazing! I wish I could see similar panoramas of Christchurch, Kaikoura, etc.
    US citizen applying for Permanent Residence via Skilled Migrant Category

2008-12-16 Submitted EOI
    2009-01-17 EOI successful
    2009-02-03 Received ITA
    2009-04-07 Mailed application