Thread: Anyone living "Remote" in NZ?

msta999 is offline Junior Member

Default Anyone living "Remote" in NZ?

Are there much remote properties in NZ, where you will have to travel ten or more miles to the nearest neighbor? Or is NZ just not that big? My liking is to live remote and as self sufficient as possible...... (I'm not a tree hugger, just don't want to have to depend on anyone else and I like my space, kind of guy) kind of a hobby or mini farm, solar or wind generator for power, but yet only an hour or two to town to buy supplies and such. I know there are places in the US, mainly the Dakotas and Alaska, etc...., but there is more land here. Want to know if anyone is doing it there.

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

We're not doing it (although we did live in a rural area until a few months ago) but what you're after is most certainly possible here We've been on many a drive out into the back of beyond and often wondered what it must be like to live so remotely, to be so far from anyone and anything - you wouldn't want to suddenly realise you need a bottle of milk or a loaf of bread at 10pm, for sure

Are you headed anywhere in particular msta999?

jive is offline Junior Member

Not sure which part of NZ you are looking for.
    Auckland has few remote country type living like Dairy flat,Albany village,Kaukapakapa. But neighbors are not miles away there!!
    Probably a general search in real estate sites can give a basic idea and photos of properties there.

1happywoman is offline Senior Member
    Kawakawa, NZ, formerly Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Blog Entries

My partner and I went north to look at a small farm in Pokapu (sp?) and I could have sworn I heard banjo music! (For those not in the know, that's a reference to the movie "Deliverance" and the dualing banjos. It was about the trials a group of men went through in the real backwoods of the US. A very young Burt Reynolds starred in it. )

We drove miles and miles on gravel roads, only saw some shacks, animals. The dairy farm itself was actually very nice, but I can tell you I would have been scared to death to be way out there alone, at night, while my partner was driving for the dairy company! There were wild pigs and cattle so you could fill the freezer with a beast or two, but it was waaaaaayyyy too primitive back there for me.

So the answer is: yes, you can find places like that!
    Arrived in Auckland on August 6, 2008.Now live in Kawakawa with my kiwi partner.
    I just started working at Bay of Islands Hospital at the beginning of December 2009.
    Work permit renewed and good until June 2010
    EOI submitted and selected, case manager assigned and ITA received. PR application submitted 28/08/09
    approved in principle 26/01/10, PR granted and received 19/03/10

tick tock is offline Junior Member

Most of the south Island is like that!

Quote Originally Posted by Welshgirl View Post
    We're not doing it (although we did live in a rural area until a few months ago) but what you're after is most certainly possible here We've been on many a drive out into the back of beyond and often wondered what it must be like to live so remotely, to be so far from anyone and anything - you wouldn't want to suddenly realise you need a bottle of milk or a loaf of bread at 10pm, for sure

Are you headed anywhere in particular msta999?
    I'm not sure where I'm going, but I will be doing something in 4 years. My youngest will be out of school then.

kiwiguy is offline Member

There are heaps of places like that around my area
    whangamomona

Its about 1.5 hours drive and is in the middle of nowhere the highway there is called the lost highway after world war two people were given land there to make farms and a lot of people walked of the land

What are the taxes like there? I would hate to work 20 yrs to get a homestead just like I want it, to loose it because I can't afford the taxes when I retire.