Thread: Moving for education

SteeleSM is offline Junior Member

Unhappy Moving for education

I am from Canada and i need a place to live in New Zealand.
    I want to live in a place with a low crime rate, a safe place
    but a good art/film school? I don't like very busy cities +
    I'm very scared going by myself.

I also need help finding out about how to apply if i'm an international student.
    Message me if you can help me further

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

This is where you would start if you want to study in NZ.

I don't know if this is the sort of school you are looking for. Here is another one. These are both on the South Island and aren't big cities but, no doubt there are a few places to study in Auckland and Wellington, too.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Samuelson88 is offline Junior Member

If you're scared of big cities I'd stay away from Auckland, plus the crime rate isn't the best in the country. I don't know what you call a very busy city. Wellington(population about 450,000) and Christchurch(population about 330,000) both have film/art schools but I'm not sure which one is better. I do know we have Weta workshop here in Wellington and it is called Wellywood because some movies are made here....Peter Jackson's studio type thing...so that would be good. If Dunedin has a decent school you'd want to go to, that may be an option for you. I lived there for almost a year. It's not a very big place and has a low crime rate. I know they have Otago University, maybe there is a film/art school there. I would suggest going to the place you can get the best education. You shouldn't be afraid of a place, you'd get used to it. If you come to Wellington, I can help you out with things and show you around. Hope this helps.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Sounds like Wellington has the edge

Capital people more cultured
    By DAVE BURGESS - The Dominion Post
    Last updated 05:00 07/04/2009

Wellington's claim to be artier and more cultural than Auckland has been confirmed by a survey.

The Colmar Brunton survey, which looked at the attitudes, attendance and participation in the arts of people living in the four main centres of more than 3000 people, found that appreciating the arts "appears to go hand in hand with being a Wellingtonian" and "residents are especially positive about the arts".

It also found that people from the city had a broader definition of the arts and a higher-than-average attendance of events than those living in other cities polled in the survey.

It also revealed Wellingtonians put huge importance on the city's status as the cultural capital.

Fewer Aucklanders than Wellingtonians believed that "arts are for people like them" and not as many had attended at least one arts event in the past year.

But it wasn't all bad for those north of the Bombays the survey labelled Aucklanders' attitude toward the arts "encouraging".

The results come hot on the heels of data issued yesterday which showed that Wellingtonians enjoyed the best quality of life in the country.

The life quality survey found that 91 per cent of Wellingtonians rated the city as culturally rich with a diverse arts scene.

Wellington Mayor Kerry Prendergast said the latest findings "underlines our status as the arts and culture capital".

"This goes way beyond the provision of events in the city and shows how deeply ingrained the arts are in the every day lives of our residents."

Her comments were backed by the council's engagement and cultural wellbeing portfolio leader, Ray Ahipene-Mercer.

"We have world-class events and a population which values and supports them."

Mr Ahipene-Mercer said fewer than half of Wellingtonians were actively involved in the arts but they still eclipsed the participation rates of Aucklanders.

"In terms of having arts events they want to attend, clearly we are leading the country."

Oil painter and collage artist Audrey Slater,said: "Wellington is very arty. The city is very supportive of the arts in all its forms."

Creative NZ commissioned the survey in partnership with the Wellington, Auckland, Hamilton and Christchurch city councils.

From here.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.