Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which is a better place to settle down?

charming is offline Member

Default Which is a better place to settle down?

Hey all. This is the first time I'm posting a thread on this part of the forum. I would like to know where in New Zealand would be the best place to settle down in terms of job opportunities, activities for children, quality of living, cost of living in terms of housing, schools etc. Could someone please advise me? Is Auckland better or Wellington?

charming

ebianca is offline Gingery, Peppery & Spicy
    Blog Entries

This is a question a lot of people ask.

The answer will be different for everyone. It will depend on what kind of work you do and what you want out of your life.

We live in Wellington with 2 young children (5 and 3). My husband works in IT. We love it here in Welli and we didn't even consider Auckland- we didn't want to live somewhere as big as that. We live 30 mins north of Wellington City. We have the beach at the bottom of the road and the school a little further away. The kids are really happy here. My husband commutes into Wellington everyday and actually quite enjoys it.

I have never visited Auckland so can't really comment on it.

Beth
    Flights booked for 24th March 2008!
    Landed in Wellington 26th March 2008!!

Job Offer Received 9th July 2008!

Temp Work Permit application submitted 11th July 2008!
    Temp Work Permit approved 4th August 2008!

EOI Submitted 11th July 2008!
    EOI Selected 16th July 2008!
    EOI 'Successful' 1st August 2008!
    ITA Received 8th August 2008!
    ITA Aplication accepted 26th September!

APROVED in Principle 10th June 2009!!!!
    Residency Visa issued 7th July 2009!!!!!

Hi Beth,

Thanks for your response. My husband is in the airline industry and I am in the secretarial/administration line. If and when we do move to New Zealand we will be moving with two kids aged 7 and 4 years. Wellington does sound interesting to me as from what you say, it seems to be more relaxed than Auckland. My daughter loves the beach so what could be better than staying near the beach. Correct me if I'm wrong, but is Auckland more crowded than Wellington?

charming

zummerzet_lou is offline your flexible friend
    Blog Entries

Have you considered Christchurch?

We stayed for a week in Auckland, and whilst it was heaps nicer and less busy than we'd imagined, it was still not somewhere I'd choose to live. Why? It's big, busy and just very built up. In saying that though, it has some beautiful areas ... lovely beaches, parks etc, just wasn't for us.

I can't comment on Wellington, but it's smaller and less populated than Auckland. What put us off? The wind ... and the fact the it lies on a faultline. Not that we actually saw anything of Wellington, so this is purely based on forums and books. We only saw the ferryport as we headed south.

Cost of living? I believe Auckland housing is more expensive, but Wellington is rapidly catching up.
    EOI Submitted 8th July 2007, 140 points no job offer.
    EOI Selected 18th July 2007
    ITA pack received 12th Oct 2007
    Completed ITA posted to NZIS 26th November 2007
    Case Officer assigned approx 22nd Feb 2008
    Immigration interview 7th May 2008
    PR AIP 10th May 2008
    Arrived in NZ, August 13th

Check out our website -> http://the-clarks.freehostia.com/

Samuelson88 is offline Junior Member

Hi, I've lived here in Wellington for 7 months now. I've also been to Auckland and know a bit about it. I would have to say for job opportunities Auckland would have more, because it is a bigger city and has a bigger population. When it comes to activities for children, I know here in Welly there is heaps for children to do and I'm assuming it would be the same in Auckland, but not sure. The quality of living not sure about in comparison. The cost of living will be higher in Auckland because it's a bigger city. As far as I know Auckland is a little over twice the size of Welly. Auckland having 1.1 million and Welly having 450,000. It depends on if you'd rather live in a bigger city with maybe a bit more going on, but with a higher crime rate and higher cost of living or in a smaller city with lower crime rate and lower cost of living. I honestly don't feel like Auckland has much more going on than Wellington, however. The only thing Auckland has that Wellington doesn't I can think of is an ice arena.
    I lived in Dunedin for a while and my husband and I decided to move to either Christchurch, Wellington, or Auckland. We asked heaps of people what they thought and no one had anything bad to say about Wellington, except that sometimes it gets a bit windy. On the other hand everyone had negative things to say about Auckland. I really didn't like it while I was in Auckland. Just to big of a city and the people aren't as friendly or helpful, but some people like bigger cities, it's a personal preference. I absolutely love Wellington and find it to be very balanced, it seems like a bigger city, but still a small friendly town at the same time. Welly is more relaxed than Auckland. I'm not sure if Auckland is more crowded, I just know the population is higher. Other points, Auckland is flatter and Welly is very hilly(which makes for great views). People compare Welly to San Francisco. It's also a tiny bit cooler here in Wellington.
    I would also suggest looking into Christchurch. I have been there a couple times and it seemed nice.

Also I'm not sure what your husband does exactly, but I know that much of the aircraft maintenance is done in Christchuch(at least for the south island). Any more questions let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Samuelson88 View Post
    Also I'm not sure what your husband does exactly, but I know that much of the aircraft maintenance is done in Christchuch(at least for the south island). Any more questions let me know.
    Hi thanks so much for your very informative response. I think my mind is now settled on Wellington since it seems to be a much smaller city and less populated.

My husband is a station supervisor with on the world's leading airlines. He is based at the airport. Are airport jobs easily available in Welly?

If he has a lot of experience he shouldn't have a problem finding a job at the airport. I guess it depends on if they currently need a station supervisor. I do know that to work for Air New Zealand and some other airlines you have to have residency, but I don't think you would have to have residency to work at the airport. You may want to check into it, though. I worked in aviation for four years as a plane captain and aviation electronics technician. I am currently trying to get back into it.
    Where are you from originally? I'm from the U.S. If you do come to Wellington, we can meet up if you want. Or I can answer any questions you may have. I think it would be a better place to raise children, that is why my husband and I have decided to start a family here.

Hi,

Thanks so much for volunteering to help! I am currently based in Mumbai, India. This is one of the reasons I would not consider moving to Auckland, since I already come from a very busy, big city. Life here is really fast.

I think the relaxed life of Wellington appeals to me.

Wallers is offline Junior Member

Is it really as windy as everyone says????

Quote Originally Posted by ebianca View Post
    This is a question a lot of people ask.

The answer will be different for everyone. It will depend on what kind of work you do and what you want out of your life.

We live in Wellington with 2 young children (5 and 3). My husband works in IT. We love it here in Welli and we didn't even consider Auckland- we didn't want to live somewhere as big as that. We live 30 mins north of Wellington City. We have the beach at the bottom of the road and the school a little further away. The kids are really happy here. My husband commutes into Wellington everyday and actually quite enjoys it.

I have never visited Auckland so can't really comment on it.

Beth

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast