Thread: our dilemma

jellypie is offline Junior Member

Default our dilemma

hi
    If anyone's interested in the nitty gritty of our situation thought I might fill you all in and if anyone has any interesting suggestions I'd be glad to hear them...

So, BF and I are here in NZ after several years planning and travelling. It's my dream to be in NZ and I'm very happy to be back after a long absence. But basically we are completely at a loss as to where to go and what to do now. As I said in the other thread we are not tied to any location, and we're not pressured by the need to get kids in school, and even money is not too pressing just yet (though the house fund is gradually being nibbled away at!)

We spent a month travelling around when we arrived at the beginning of Feb thinking we'd find somewhere we really liked to settle in. We liked most of NZ (not Invercargill much though!) but didn't really find anywhere we REALLY liked - except Stewart Island and job prospects were a bit limited there! -

We have both worked in cities in the UK and part of the motivation for coming out here was to get a more outdoorsy kind of lifestyle, you know, surfboards on the top of the car, triathlons, that kind of thing. I think we can do that pretty much anywhere in NZ, which is certainly not true of the UK - so that doesn't help much with choosing somewhere to live. On the other hand we did enjoy the city aspects of the UK - bars, cafes, restaurants, sports clubs, gyms - and I'm not sure we're ready to give those up just yet for a rural idyll.

On the jobs side I am suffering a bit because of the recession - My field is technical, there are only a small number of companies I can work for and most aren't hiring at the moment. I am fortunate enough to have two offers, both similar in package, either Wellington or Napier. They are different jobs but I would be pretty happy with either, but as the industry is small and we're in a recession I'm unlikely to find any other jobs within about 6 months. Alternately I could get some kind of secretarial role I suppose but the pay difference would be enormous - if we went anywhere other than Wellington or Napier I'd probably have to settle for that.

In the meantime, BF has low paid coaching work pretty much wherever he wants but really wants a "proper" job - and the only opportunities for him seem to be Auckland.

It would be easier to choose if only we could decide between Auckland, Wellington and Napier - then at least one of us could have a proper job while the other looks out for anything that comes along - but we just can't decide. It is doing our heads in so much we are even thinking about giving up the sensible options entirely and going to Dunedin (somewhere we did quite like but have no job prospects) - and just taking our chances! (I have a kind of pipe dream to run a business but am not courageous enough to do it just yet - though I guess now is as good a time as any in my life - no ties - to try it.)

I'm not looking for answers here - sometimes it helps to put down in writing what the problems are. We have to decide next week before my job offers lapse. I suppose if anyone had any thoughts about Auckland vs. Wellington vs. Napier I'd be glad to hear them.

Especially interested in people moving from big cities to small places in NZ - Napier to me seemed very small - a town - with no night life that I could see. How have people coped with that kind of change? Also Auckland seemed very big (I am familiar with cities in the UK the size of Leeds, Bristol, Nottingham) and sprawly - I hate the idea of having to drive all across town to get everywhere, I love being able to walk places.

Any views, opinions, comments gladly received, hope I haven't bored you all too much...

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the forum, jellypie

Personally, I would rule out Auckland. We came from a relatively big city in Wales (Cardiff) so are used to city life, but to me Auckland is the sort of place I came here to avoid (no offence to anyone in Auckland ). In most instances, there is more money to be made there than most other NZ towns/cities but I guess it depends on what you want from life

IMHO if I had to choose, I'd probably go for Wellington as I reckon it could just about offer everything you're looking for - lifestyle, reasonable wages, night life, etc - but then I don't know that much about Napier to compare them fairly

Of course, I'm a staunch advocate of Hamilton - we're 45 mins to the nearest surfing beach, the 4th largest city in NZ (so big, but not too big ), a pretty central location for travelling around the North Island and have some of the best night life that has to be offered

TanyaJ is offline Member

If it were me I'd go for Wellington.

Its the best of both worlds with wonderful scenery and outdoorsy lifestyle but also a great restaurant and bar scene.

We headed for Auckland because it was the first place I could find work - but it is very big and sprawling.

Thanks for the thoughts guys. We are thinking along those lines too. I am lucky that the job offer in Wellington is flexible so I may be able to relocate to another place at some point. Hamilton is actually another possibility as there may be a job for the BF going there... We quite like Wellington although the weather has been pants for days and I am getting fed up of it!!!

This is seriously starting to do my head in!

Things were just starting to come together, I got a formal offer from the wellington job and BF has some work lined up here too and I was (literally) just about to accept and start looking for somewhere to live... when BF gets an email saying he's shortlisted for work in Hamilton! AARRGHHH. He is really happy about it - it's his dream job. But I am beyond fed up of living out of the car. I am seriously close to breaking point and I was really looking forward to taking a job and finally having my own cooker, washing machine, bed...

Now I will have to delay accepting my job and if he gets the job in Hamilton will have to try to transfer up there somehow. I was actually getting quite excited about living in Wellington too.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Oooh, talk about putting a spanner in the works . When is your b/f's interview?

If you are already looking forward to settling in Wellington, it seems that you need something to grab on to, like a job offer, to help you focus on a particular place. It's a shame this glitch has come along to upset things. Maybe the Hamilton job won't come to anything, but it might be an idea to go along with the flow and see how you feel about Hamilton as a possible place to settle - just in case. Maybe fate will give you a push in a direction you never thought of.

Good luck and I hope it all works out for the common good in the end .
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

hi,
    thanks for the sympathetic (virtual) ear.

His interview is on Monday. I was thinking about shipping him up there for the interview on the plane but as you say maybe we should both go and see what we think of Hamilton - perhaps it's the place in NZ we'll totally go for - we passed through it so quickly before....

I have to be fair - a dream job doesn't come along that often, so I want him to have a chance of getting it. But realistically I'm the main breadwinner and jobs for me are a wee bit scarce at the moment - I don't think there's anything for me in Hamilton just now which is a bit worrying.

It's just this frustrating intervening period which is driving me insane....
    Last edited by jellypie; 24-03-2009 at 08:25 PM.