Thread: Moving to Whangarei, where to live please?

ConniePrags is offline Junior Member

Talking Moving to Whangarei, where to live please?

Hi.I am moving to Whangarei in a few months, does anyone have any tips on where to stay. I expect my own furniture will be a few weeks behind me. I read that it's not entirely safe to rent sight unseen, but does anyone have any suggestions on where I can stay for hopefully about 3 weeks while I figure things out. I plan on being there in May.

Some of the suggestions re: holiday places sound good, but does anyone have any recommendations/ alternatives?

Thanks for reading, and for any helpful hints.

Connie x

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

We only visit Whangarei about half a dozen times a year, so I won't be much help. If you are want somewhere initially for just 3 weeks, I would suggest staying in a motel and then look around for that rental property or holiday home. In May there should be no problem in getting accommodation.

Whangarei is classed as a small city but is more like a UK town. It is one of those places where you really should look at a property before signing up - if you look on TradeMe's property section you will see there are some rough-looking as well as OK-looking places. The coastal areas are nice but you will probably only get a small house rather than apartment there.
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

ConniePrags is offline Junior Member

Thanks very much. I wonder if you , or anyone else who happens upon this thread, would know of a reasonable hotel/motel/ holiday home I could use while I find somewhere more permanent.

Thanks very much.

Connie

leeannvh is offline Junior Member

Hiya

Wonder if youve moved yet?

Anyways.....Kamo, Regent, Riverside, Onerahi & Maunu are all good areas

Avoid like the plague the following area's: Otangarei (referred to as OT) & Raumanga. Dodgy Morningside is also oh yes & Otaika!! Eish man its like gangsta's paradise!

Now...Kamo & Maunu are a bit outta town...like 3 - 5 km's but safe lovely area's for kiddies. I personally dont like Maunu but alot of foreigners live there.

Kamo to me is better. Has a great Primary & High School, petrol station, dairy, lots of little shops etc. (hafta travel to town for supermarket though).

Riverside & Regent are really central, can walk into town. Stunning areas & if U can find a house (like hens teeth), def. worth & look! (Riverside also up against a slope so have nice views of Whangarei & the yacht area).

Onerahi a bit outta town, further than Kamo & Maunu but absolutely stunning!! Its on the laggoon / inlet so U have stunning views with some houses. Great little area.

Kamo & Maunu are totally land-locked, in a matter of speaking, heading inland. Maunu is towards Auckland way & Kamo is on the SH1 towards the North.

This also depends on your budget of course!

Just go check out trademe property for rentals there & see what they have to offer & u can get a general feel

1happywoman is offline Senior Member
    Kawakawa, NZ, formerly Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Blog Entries

If you look on Trademe, also check out "flatmates wanted" as you might find someone who will let you move in short term. Might be a solution if you need a place already furnished while you look around (in person). My partner and I are planning a move to Whangarei in the next few weeks, so are looking around. Presently staying on our boat in Opua. (very foggy today, but we did sail a little bit yesterday!)
    Arrived in Auckland on August 6, 2008.Now live in Kawakawa with my kiwi partner.
    I just started working at Bay of Islands Hospital at the beginning of December 2009.
    Work permit renewed and good until June 2010
    EOI submitted and selected, case manager assigned and ITA received. PR application submitted 28/08/09
    approved in principle 26/01/10, PR granted and received 19/03/10