Thread: Moving to NZ... but where, where should we live??

chappy76 is offline Junior Member

Default Moving to NZ... but where, where should we live??

Hiya,

My family and I are moving to Auckland in a couple of months from England and I'm seeking some advice from people that know the place better than us!

We are a family of 3 - me, the boss and our nearly 5 year old son. We have friends in Bucklands Beach so are staying there when we first get in. I'm working in Auckland city but want to live in a quieter area where we can purchase a property, chew some hay and generally live a bit country ish.

As I work in the city I'll need to access to public transport (train ideally) and are ok to travel an hour each way each day.

As our friends are in Buckers Beach we'd like to live moderately close so south country in the North Island is ideal. Can anyone recommend a place for us to live? Our son is turning 5 later this year so would like to get him into a good school. We will rent first and buy later this year/early next year but would prefer him to stay in the one school. We have been looking at Pukekohe as an option but know very little about the quality of schools there etc.

Appreciate any comments or advice you may have.

Thanks!

Chappy

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Chappy. Welcome to MTNZ.

Quote Originally Posted by chappy76 View Post
    We have been looking at Pukekohe as an option but know very little about the quality of schools there etc.
    I'm not sure how many folks we've got in Auckland as a lot of them seem to have flocked to the South Island in recent times. I doubt I'm much help either but I would mention we did have one member who lived in Pukekohe and rated it highly. Unfortunately he doesn't seem to be around these days.

Good luck with the move and I hope some Aucklanders will come up with a bit of info for you.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

chappy76 is offline Junior Member

Many thanks for the advice Motherbear, much appreciated.

TanyaJ is offline Member

I'm an Aucklander but on the North Shore so I'm not able to help with anything South of the CBD, sorry!

We found this helpful in terms of finding which areas were good and which not so good: Auckland Suburb Guide