Thread: NZ vs UK for Property Prices

vixen123 is offline Junior Member

Default NZ vs UK for Property Prices

Can somebody help me!

A few months ago I was advised the property prices are much lower in NZ than in the UK but now after watching BBC's programme "Wanted Down Under" it appears that both NZ and Australia's property prices are becoming very similar to those in the UK, if not a little more expensive. Is this fact? My Family and I are considering emigrating to NZ but would find it very difficult if we were unable to have a better lifestyle than in the UK. I do understand it is difficult to say as if you live closer to the city, or the sea property prices are more expensive anyway, as they are in the UK.

If we were to emigrate, I would want to live in a nice neighbourhood with decent schools in the area. We have a 12 year old and a 7 year old.

Any advice on this would be greatfully received

nickydwuk is offline God like figure
    Blog Entries

We are about ot leave the UK for NZ. I think house prices are relative to your income. If the house prices are converted to £ they are cheaper but if you compare them to the NZ wage they are similar to the UK. So if you have UK£ to spend then you can buy a better house. We have just bought a house in NZ for less than we sold our UK house for and it is much bigger and in a better area.
    Nursing Registration sent 5th August 2007
    Job Offer 25th September 2007
    Nursing Registration received 28th December 2007
    Submitted EOI 3rd January 2008 with 150 points
    Selected 17th January 2008
    ITA Received 31st January 2008
    ITA submitted 25th April 2008
    Approved in Principle 3rd May 2008
    Blue Stickers arrived 13th May 2008
    Flights booked for 19th Sept to Christchurch

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

House prices did go crazy for a couple of years but they are supposedly coming down again now, particularly in Auckland, so the newspapers say. I still wouldn't call them cheap though. Perhaps they will drop a bit more in the coming months. A lot of houses are going to auction now as a way of disposing of them, so I don't know if you would get a better bargain by going there. It would also be worth asking about mortgagee sales.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

zummerzet_lou is offline your flexible friend
    Blog Entries

A lot of it depends on how much travel you want to do also ...

To give you an example, we sold our 2 mid, mid-terrace house in UK. It had a garage, and a teeney plot of land for 200k.

To use a pessimistic exchange rate of 2.5, that gives us a house in NZ of $500k. Now, if we look about a 20-30 min drive from Christchurch city centre, that can buy us a large 4 bed, with an acre or so of gardens (if not more).
    If I look at the same price, in a good suburb, that will buy us a 3-4 bed with virtually no garden. It is worth noting that nearly all houses in the cities have teeney sections as everyone has sold their gardens .. and now have houses on top of houses!

ps. I'm only looking at Christchurch - if you're off to Auckland, or Wellington, house prices are dearer!
    Lou
    EOI Submitted 8th July 2007, 140 points no job offer.
    EOI Selected 18th July 2007
    ITA pack received 12th Oct 2007
    Completed ITA posted to NZIS 26th November 2007
    Case Officer assigned approx 22nd Feb 2008
    Immigration interview 7th May 2008
    PR AIP 10th May 2008
    Arrived in NZ, August 13th

Check out our website -> http://the-clarks.freehostia.com/

Cliff is offline Oh Masterful One
    Blog Entries

The market here is slow, very slow. Prices haven't come down much but they aren't rising. People are beginning to finally get the idea they are going to have to drop their prices if they want to sell their house.

they did climb for a few years and got unaffordable for most people. If you were already in a house you went with so not much of an issue but for people who weren't in a house they couldn't buy in. A correction was inevitable.

One thing that kept house prices up here was overseas buyers. Due to the world financial issues this has all but halted. This has educed demand which is further pressure for prices to fall. Even the experts are saying it is a good time to rent.

House prices may come down but don't expect the same for land. there is still demand for income producing land so this will keep those prices up.
    Cheers

Cliff

Nelson, New Zealand
    NZ Citizenship in 2000, been in NZ 15 years now
    Arrived NZ in 1997 from Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

"New Zealand isn't just a physical place it is a state of mind."

alan&moyra is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    The market here is slow, very slow. Prices haven't come down much but they aren't rising. People are beginning to finally get the idea they are going to have to drop their prices if they want to sell their house.

they did climb for a few years and got unaffordable for most people. If you were already in a house you went with so not much of an issue but for people who weren't in a house they couldn't buy in. A correction was inevitable.

One thing that kept house prices up here was overseas buyers. Due to the world financial issues this has all but halted. This has educed demand which is further pressure for prices to fall. Even the experts are saying it is a good time to rent.

House prices may come down but don't expect the same for land. there is still demand for income producing land so this will keep those prices up.

I agree with the slow market here it is a buyers time to move in, lots of people have dropped the price by $30k + just to sell their house.

There is a lot for sale in my area, Rolleston, but with so much new builds its a hard time to sell here but a great time to buy
    EOI Submitted 10/04/2007
    EOI Selected 21/04/2007
    ITA Received 20/07/2007
    ITA Sent Lodged 31/08/2007
    Medicals booked 01/08/2007
    Flights booked 22/10/2007
    Visa granted 17/10/2007
    Arrived in NZ 27/10/2007