Thread: Info On Wellington

Caz
    Caz is offline Member

Default Info On Wellington

Hey guys,

Lookin for a bit of info (Again) !!!

I have been looking into areas in both the north and south islands. I really quite like Christchurch and Wellington.

I have read from various sources that Christchurch has a problem with smog due to the burners and has alot of Boy Racers and prostitutes.

What i want to know is...

1. Is wellington the same and do they get the smog, boy racers etc?

2. Are there the same number of prostitutes?

3. What is the drug culture like?

And any other info u think is relevant, crime etc...

Cheers but i'm just trying to do as much research as i can, although i know it wont be anywhere near as bad as Glasgow City Centre!!!

Thanks,
    Caz xxx
    Life is a Game - Great when you're winning - Crap when you're losing!

gnom is offline Member

Wellington is safe. When u don't like to get involved in drugs, u wont. Wellington doesn't have smog. Here the air is very clean. Some people say that it cannot have smog because the wind blows it away :-))
    Cuba St is a sort of red light district where all different kind of peoples are around. There u can for sure buy drugs. But I never did and therefore not 100% sure. U see, it is so safe I even don't know. I like this city. There are a lot of nice places and many cafes. And the harbour is lovely, the Te Papa is great, the cable car are funny, the zoo is nice, the lamdon quay is busy....
    Got Job offer in November 2007
    Got 3-years work visa valid to 15.01.2011 in Jan 08
    Landed in Wellington the 16th January 2008
    Work permit for my partner submitted the 26th Jan 08
    Loged EOI the 27th January 2008
    Was selected the 31st January 2008
    Work permit/visa granted for my partner the 20th Feb 08
    Loged my PR the 28th March 2008
    PR approved 23.07.2008

Cheers
    Gnom

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Hi Caz,

Most places have boy racers and prostitues! Boy/Girl racers will be anywhere that young people live, and prostitution is legal so there are brothels around the major centres. Not much you can do about the racers although the Police are very hot on traffic offences, and they tend to congregate in specific places. I think the prostitution is confined to licensed brothels, although I could be wrong. It's certainly not a case of after dark the streets become lined with sleazy drug taking tramps, not in Hamilton at least
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

molly is offline Member

Hi Caz

1. Is wellington the same and do they get the smog, boy racers etc?
    There is no smog in Wellington due to the constant breeze/wind/gale.
    There are boy/girl racers, but they are mostly in in certain suburbs (like Porirua)

2. Are there the same number of prostitutes?
    ??? What a funny question... Do they bother you? I haven't seen any street prostitution yet, but I wasn't particularly looking either. As Taffy said before, prostitution is legal, therefore there are some "gentlemen's clubs" et.

3. What is the drug culture like?
    The most common drug here probably is P (Methamphetamine) plus the now illegal party pills. Both are widely spread throughout clubbing/partying girls and boys.

Crime rate is relatively low, but there are some rather nasty gangs around town and suburbs.

Cheers,
    Andi

Caz
    Caz is offline Member

Thanks for the info guys.

I think that you do get these problems anywhere you go, but i am just trying to gather as much information as i can.

Andi - The prostitute thing doesnt really bother me as such... i mean i currently live in glasgow (the sex, drugs and crime capital of europe)!!
    I take it that the boy racers are quite bad in Porirua then?? Is it wise to say that we should stay away from this area?

Where we live in Glasgow we dont really see much of the goings on of drugs, boy racers, gangs and illegal prositutes etc

I have 2 kids so really want to try to keep them away from Drugs and stuff like that. I understand that if they are gonna do it they will, and i would hope that i would educate them enough to make the right decision!

Anyway, Cheers

Your comments are great... keep it comin

Caz xxx
    Life is a Game - Great when you're winning - Crap when you're losing!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caz View Post
    I have read from various sources that Christchurch has a problem with smog due to the burners
    I've read that the smog problem is because of Chch lying in a sort of 'bowl' so the smoke from the burners doesn't get dispersed like it does in other more exposed places. A law is now in force banning inefficient log burners and open fires.

Smog Reduced Over Christchurch

Canterbury Regional Council says smog levels in Christchurch have reduced for the third winter in a row, and is attributing that to its Clean Heat Project. The project began five years ago with the aim of reducing air pollution in what was New Zealand's smoggiest city. Residents were given financial assistance to replace their open fire or log burner heating with other options like heat pumps.
    NewsRoom 2006
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

ebianca is offline Gingery, Peppery & Spicy
    Blog Entries

I take it that the boy racers are quite bad in Porirua then?? Is it wise to say that we should stay away from this area?

We are living in Porirua at the moment. As long as you stay away from the centre and in particular East Porirua/Cannons creek then it is fine. We live to the north in Camborne/ Plimmerton and it is fine up here.(we have only been here a couple of months)

Like most cities really there are place you wouldn't want to live and others you would. The 'bad' areas seem to be pretty well contained and keep the trouble to themselves as such.
    Hatter5 on here is also in Porirua-a little closer to the city than we are and they too have no problems and have been in NZ 2 years now.

Beth
    Flights booked for 24th March 2008!
    Landed in Wellington 26th March 2008!!

Job Offer Received 9th July 2008!

Temp Work Permit application submitted 11th July 2008!
    Temp Work Permit approved 4th August 2008!

EOI Submitted 11th July 2008!
    EOI Selected 16th July 2008!
    EOI 'Successful' 1st August 2008!
    ITA Received 8th August 2008!
    ITA Aplication accepted 26th September!

APROVED in Principle 10th June 2009!!!!
    Residency Visa issued 7th July 2009!!!!!

rasin is offline Member

My hubby is at wellington miramar and according to him the crime rate is getting worse. Also the rental at the miramar suburb is relatively higher than other suburbs.