Thread: Hawke's Bay bound...?

RogerLaura is offline Junior Member

Default Hawke's Bay bound...?

Hi everyone,

Other half has posted on here already (a much friendlier forum than other ones we've been on!) and I have few questions about areas....

Chances are we are going to end up in Hawke's Bay, as Laura has a long career in the food industry, and apparently Hastings is a centre for this type of work.

Done a fair bit of research into the area, and it sounds like it is a place that would fit with our lifestyle and outlook on life. Our heads are in the right place for it, too!

Can you give us some info on places to live, and places to avoid, if any? We have heard Havelock North is a lovely place, but may be out of our price range. As far as Hastings goes, we have been told that Frimley, Camberley and St Leonards are pleasant locales, but to avoid Flaxmere. Napier seems a good bet too, as has a character and a cafe culture... so be honest, and give us the warts and all account! We live in the cultural mecca that is Bolton UK, so everything is relative

Cheers people

Roger

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Roger,

Not sure if we've got anyone living in that neck of the woods but perhaps someone will know of the area and help out with some information. Sorry I'm no help but I thought I'd put you in the picture.

Fingers crossed that someone will know.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Thanks for that Mother Bear... we'll see who and what turns up!

Burgundy21 is offline Member

Hi Roger and Laura,
    We spent 3 months (until Jan 2008) living in Napier so know the area a little. Hastings and Napier are very different. Napier is extremely nice in a middle class, arty way( little galleries, cinema showing foreign language films...) and has it's famous art deco reputation to bring in tourists. We lived in Port Ahurihi which is being developed in a trendy fashion and has a lot of rental property there as well as an excellent primary school. All the usual shops are available which is important as you are not near any big town in either Napier or Hastings. It's on the sea but don't swim as the tides are dangerous! Best parts include Hospital Hill and Ahuriri. Quite a lot of land is being freed up for new build so it's prospering.

Hastings very different and more down to earth. It too has Art Deco only there you don't get the tourists, not a bad thing. Better work prospects but just not where I would want to have stayed. Much poorer housing generally compared to Napier and many more people just hanging around doing nothing. Great Sunday farmer's market on the showground though!

Havelock North, now there's a puzzle. When we arrived we thought it was THE place to be, but after 2 or 3 visits it is actually the last place I would want to live unless you are a stay at home yummy mummy with a husband bringing in big bucks so you can keep Havelock a village ( which is what the locals want to do). It is seriously posh in an NZ way, with private schools, croquet and a lot of frock shops!

My take, live in Napier, work in Hastings and take visitors to the wineries around Havelock, but I stand to be corrected by others more knowing than me!

Cheers for that Burgundy... if Havelock North is so inclined, then it's definitely NOT our cup of tea.

Our thoughts are live in Napier, work in Hastings, too. Laura's job will almost definitely be there.

Anybody else out there with a bit of insight into the area?

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

I've never been over that way either, but think you should watch the Ross Kemp on Gangs clips in the videos section on here. Hastings doesn't look very promising as a place to live! We always hear great things about Napier though, from people who have been there or live there so sounds like you may have the best idea - live Napier, work Hastings.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

ClintSally is offline Junior Member

Default Napier and Hastings Property

Hi Roger,

I have been doing quite a bit of research into property in the Hawkes Bay region, as we are planning to relocate shortly. I have family in Napier and have been out to visit them, in the processs familiarising myself with some of the residential areas. I can certainly vouch that as far as Hastings goes Flaxmere is to be avoided and Havelock North is definitely a great area to be in. I am not sure about the other suburbs you mentioned in your post.

As for Napier, there are various suburbs which are decent, two of my favourites are Taradale and Greenmeadows. Best of luck in your endeavours.

Cheers
    Clint